Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chlorella, Cilantro and Companion Supplements
Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:24PM

I started taking chlorella a few days ago. I'm also adding cilantro to my salads. There's definitely something happening in terms of chelation. I seem to recall hearing that chelation can be dangerous because it will eliminate things that we need. Does anyone know what I should supplement with to make sure that doesn't happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chlorella, Cilantro and Companion Supplements
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:50PM

Cilantro is one of the few chelators that can actually cross the blood brain barrier, but it only mobilizes metals so tread with caution(i prefer to lower the body burden of heavy metals first). You need to include a chelator such as alginates(brown seaweed extract) and to a lesser extent Chlorella to bind to the metals so that they are not redistributed.

I did myself massive problems displacing my heavy metals with various chelators and allowing the metals to redistribute caused me several lay backs in regards to healing.

My opinion always is to first try to lower the body burden of heavy metals, DMSA is good for this and fairly safe. As are FAR infrared sauna's but you must make sure that you replace the minerals that you are losing through sweat.

On the days you aren't chelating supplementing any food/herb that is mineral rich is a good idea some of these include seaweeds, alfalfa, watercress and himalayan salt. Don't take these on the same days as you chelate because the chelators will just bind to your supplements.

Cheers for the PM HH i will reply soon smiling smiley. Check out Andy Cutlers protocol for chelation which is also highly regarded.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 02:54PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 01, 2012 04:11PM

Powerlifer: did you mean DMSO?

Date: June 01, 2012 04:14PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer: did you mean DMSO?

Nah banana who, i meant DMSA(Dimercaptosuccinic acid), DMSA is a dithiol (containing two sulphydryl or S-H groups) which gives it significant advantages over many other chelators.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 01, 2012 04:26PM

Okay thanks. I'll check out Cutler's site.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 01, 2012 04:53PM

Do you have any particular poisoning which would warrant the use of DMSA? There isn't much info but standard wiki article on chelation terapy references 2007 study according to which giving DMSA to rats without high levels of metal poisoning may cause lasting cognitive damage. Would such risk qualify as relatively safe? I don't know. But I can't help but thinking that sometimes people become so obsessed with 'becoming healthy', to the point of stupidity where they begin harming themselves.

Date: June 01, 2012 04:59PM

I guess you have never suffered from heavy metal poisoning then chat, it is the worst thing i can possibly think of, along with the act of chelation itself especially if you have sluggish and overburdened elimination organs such as the liver.

Cutlers protocol uses small doses of DMSA and ALA and his protocol is known to be as safe as you get when it comes to chelation therapy other than FAR infrared sauna but even that comes with some risks if you aren't careful.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 01, 2012 05:05PM

No I haven't suffered from heavy metal poisoning, but in which way is this relevant to my comment?

My comment was merely asking whether OP has suffered heavy metal poisoning, and the reason for this question was the not infrequent use of DMSA or other medications by people who do not suffer from heavy metal poisoning but merely strive to be 'healthier'.

Date: June 01, 2012 05:15PM

Sorry if that came off as aggressive it wasnt meant in such way. What i meant was in response to your last few lines, in that chelation and in particular DMSA is a much needed treatment for some to overcome heavy metal poisoning but yeah i now see what you mean by people that don't have metal poisoning just randomly taking chelators is not a good idea.

If you suspect heavy metal toxicity HH, a hair tissue mineral analysis along with possibly a urine challenge test would be worthwhile doing before using any chelator.

Personally i found DMSA to be of massive help in lowering my heavy metal count and found it to be much more gentle than many other natural chelators. Although of them all brown seaweed extract powder aka modifilan was the most gentle and effective.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 05:18PM by powerlifer.

Date: June 01, 2012 05:31PM

No not at all! I must have sounded aggressive, but I didn't mean to. It's just worrying that there are so many examples when people start following an idea and forget to think for themselves at all, with disastrous results. Like they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Date: June 01, 2012 06:02PM

All I know is that I'm an ex-smoker and assume that I'm dealing with cadmium in my system.

chat Wrote:
> Do you have any particular poisoning which would
> warrant the use of DMSA? There isn't much info but
> standard wiki article on chelation terapy
> references 2007 study according to which giving
> DMSA to rats without high levels of metal
> poisoning may cause lasting cognitive damage.
> Would such risk qualify as relatively safe? I
> don't know. But I can't help but thinking that
> sometimes people become so obsessed with 'becoming
> healthy', to the point of stupidity where they
> begin harming themselves.

Date: June 01, 2012 06:15PM

Hair tissue mineral analysis whilst by no means definitive can be very helpful and is relatively cheap.

Worth doing if you do suspect heavy metal toxicity HH and isn't invasive either.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 01, 2012 08:58PM

[www.aliveraw.com]
[www.aliveraw.com]

These are Brian Clements recomendations

Posted by: fruitloverlady ()
Date: October 25, 2012 06:45AM

HH Wrote:
> I started taking chlorella a few days ago. I'm
> also adding cilantro to my salads. There's
> definitely something happening in terms of
> chelation. I seem to recall hearing that chelation
> can be dangerous because it will eliminate things
> that we need. Does anyone know what I should
> supplement with to make sure that doesn't happen?

Like you, I'm also taking chlorella supplement that I bought here: [products.mercola.com] and I've been taking it for more than a year already. It is actually my detox partner. So for me taking it is just safe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables