Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sauerkraut - hell yeah!
Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: June 03, 2012 08:16PM

Just harvested my first batch of homemade sauerkraut with green cabbage, carrot, and jalapenos - mmmm! So excited there was no mold.

Going to try fermenting peppers next into a raw sriracha type condiment. Also - I'm pretty surprised my kombucha scoby is still thriving for for over a year, though I've been neglectful - very suspicious of the sugar content though the web swears the scoby eats all the sugar...

Kefir and coco-yogurt look really tough - plus I can never find non-irradiated coconuts. What other fermented goodies do you guys like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sauerkraut - hell yeah!
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 03, 2012 08:30PM

Miso is ok on occasion and is also fermented but mainly water kefir im in honest.

Nice one on the sauerkraut CJJ smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:05PM

nice! fermenting is so fun! One of the best, tastiest, most amazing fermented foods is cauliflower. it does a 180 turn like nothing else!!! wow, you will love it. Its really yummy. It smells relatively rough compared to other ferments but in the end it tastes so amazing. also, nothing beats a good ol fashioned garlic dill pickle!!!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:14PM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nice! fermenting is so fun! One of the best,
> tastiest, most amazing fermented foods is
> cauliflower. it does a 180 turn like nothing
> else!!! wow, you will love it. Its really yummy.
> It smells relatively rough compared to other
> ferments but in the end it tastes so amazing.
> also, nothing beats a good ol fashioned garlic
> dill pickle!!!

Nice to know RAWLION smiling smiley, sometimes i can't get past the smell of fermented veggies and thus lose out. Although my staple is water kefir so i guess i have that covered. Would be nice to have some variety though, so i might give the cauliflower a shot cheers.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:48PM

Oooooh! How did you get the cauliflower started? Salt-rub, or salt + water?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 03, 2012 10:12PM

Gotta make kimchee this week smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 03, 2012 10:23PM

I make cauliflower often, green beans too, super yum! I have the Perfect Pickler, it makes terrific ferments in about 4 days, never spoils because there is an airlock preventing bacteria from getting in, and doesn't stink or at least has very minimal odour. It's wonderful.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 04, 2012 04:41AM

salt brine for sure. I use about 2.5 tbls per quart of water. put any veggie under the water and let it go for a week to 3 or so. yes, fermenting green beans is a good way to make them edible for raw fooders! I think asparagus would be good too, as it would soften it and make the flavor more mild. a little garlic is yummy with veggies.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 04, 2012 05:01AM

great to see the enthusiasm
its good to be alive

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 04, 2012 03:19PM

Raw Lion, I also made fermented cauliflower using a salt brine. But what I did was add BEETS to the equation and it totally rocked.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 04, 2012 04:15PM

Yes sauerkraut with beets is very common and popular in some parts of the world. Sometimes they differ from traditional shredded kraut by fermenting the cabbage in large chunks. So you basically put layers large chunks of cabbage, then few slices of beets, then cabbage again, then beets, then cabbage.. Then pour salty water over the whole thing, put a plate on top and press with something heavy.

The colour and taste is amasing. And beets come out tasty too!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 04, 2012 05:06PM

PLEASE POST A RECIPE!!!

I have mastered the art of kimchi, but only ever made absolutely terrible sauerkraut. Please detail your method for getting the cabbage soft!

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: June 04, 2012 08:38PM

I sour all kinds of vegies: cabbage, peppers, cukes, carrots, beets, turnips, beans... I use a 2 tbsp whole salt to 1 quart water brine; sometimes nothing else besides the brine and vegies, sometimes add seasonings like lemon thyme, garlic, hot pepper, ...

Date: June 04, 2012 08:46PM

I add garlic and/or ginger often, pepper corns or small dried spicy peppers are nice too. The trick with cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, etc (thicker, tougher veggies) is to add something that ferments quicker like shredded or julienned carrots to help it get started. If you've got a bit of juice left over from the previous batch adding that in helps too but only if you haven't contaminated it with your fingers or a dirty utensil, that can cause spoilage.
For cabbage I really mash it up well, beat it with a meat tenderizer or really smash it up with a wooden spoon to soften it and get it juicy.
Shredded beets and/or carrots on their own make a nice sort of kvass, it's amazing on salad instead of dressing.

Posted by: Ivi rose ()
Date: June 04, 2012 10:07PM

You guys are awesome. I bought the perfect pickler, too, but have been wary of trying it because it's getting to be summer and I was concerned about the temperature of inside my abode being too warm. But you got me so excited I'm gonna give it a shot.

Date: June 04, 2012 11:07PM

It doesn't like to be too warm or too hot, I've had it ferment very slowly in winter but in summer it will start cooking in a day, you'll see bubbles and might have to clear the airlock if kraut juice pushes up into it. Any trouble contact the site, I have had the BEST customer service from them, truly excellent.
Have fun!

Posted by: Ivi rose ()
Date: June 05, 2012 12:50AM

Thanks for the helpful tips, Coco.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 05, 2012 01:44AM

I wrote about how I make salt free kimchi/kraut in this post: Re: I need help with cultured/probiotic foods.

More recently I've been using mostly a 2 gallon fermentation bucket. They cost about $5, and an airlock costs about $2. Here is my recipe for making about a gallon of kimchi in a 2 gallon bucket:

Large Batch Kimchi (1 Gallon or more)

2 large cabbage heads
4 carrots
2 red bell peppers
1/4 c paprika
1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
3 tbsp ginger
1 clove garlic
3/8 c microbes

Save 3-4 large cabbage leaves. Save 1/4 cabbage for juicing. Grate cabbage with thin slicer in food processor, shred carrots and bell peppers. Juice 1/4 cabbage, garlic and ginger, mix in paprika, chili pepper flakes. Mix all together and ferment for 3 days or more, depending on temperature, until done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables