Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fat intake
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 21, 2006 08:30AM

The American Heart Association recommends women have 40-50 grams of fat a day, and men, 60-70 grams a day.

I love avocodoes and eat one a day. That is 30 grams of fat there. Plus I have 2 tbsps of raw nut or seed butter (Pumpkin or sesame, usually.) everyday, and that is 20 grams of fat there. Plus I eat my rice bran (as a supplement for B vitimans, which has helped me tremendously feel healthier), that is another 7 grams.

I'm a small framed lady, and slender. I just cannot seem to feel satisfied eating less than 60 grams of fat a day. Plus, I feel like it keeps my skin and hair nice and healthy looking.

I am open to your opinions and knowledge, about whether you feel this is too much fat for me or not. I realize I will get a varity of opinions, and that is great! I really want to see all sides of this.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fat intake
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 21, 2006 09:02AM

Do you follow any of the nutritional recomendations from the mainstream nutrition industry (like the food pyramid)? If you are eating bad and cooked fat then you need to seriously limit it.

If you are eating good raw fat then it is not a problem. If the amount of fat you are eating is working for you then it is fine. I sometimes eat 2 avocados a day plus some nuts and seeds, hemp milk...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:20PM

Very Good Question! I was wondering the same thing. I am also a small petite female, and farely new to Live Foods and have noticed that I eat a high fat content..Avacados everyday, almond or hemp milk everyday as well as olive oil on my salad and nuts for snacks.. I am sure that I average around 80 plus grams of fat a day.. having said that I haven't gained weight and just had my blood work done and my cholesterol and lipid profile was excellent, so I guess I do not have to worry!!

emmylou

Date: October 21, 2006 07:10PM

My cholesterol is super low, always has been.

Really, my main reason for asking is vanity. I'm wondering if it will give me cellulite, if I eat too much fat, or if it's raw fat, it will lower the body fat on a woman.

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2006 07:31PM

Are you eating flax and hemp seeds for the omega 3 fats? You should also include small amounts of coconut oil for the healthy raw saturated fat.

Date: October 21, 2006 07:44PM

Yes, I mix it up a bit... I just finished a jar of raw coconut butter, a tbsp a day, 1 tbsp of pumpkin seed, 1 avocado, somedays a little flax. Varity, to me is healthy. I also like raw sesame, sunflower and walnut butter. Sometimes it's soaked and sprouted nuts and seeds.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2006 11:23PM

I eat avocado almost daily and add coconut meat to my green smoothies. Also red palm oil.
[www.tropicaltraditions.com]
[www.cholesterol-and-health.com]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: October 23, 2006 02:12AM

most of the time when I eat too much fat I find it hard to move around. I find it hard for my body to define the line of too much or too little fat. =(

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 24, 2006 12:26AM

Food restriction is the most effective modulator of oxidative stress and it is believed that a reduction in caloric intake per se is responsible for the reduced generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by mitochondria.

Hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) generation and oxygen consumption (O(2)) by skeletal muscle mitochondria were determined in a peculiar strain of rats (Lou/C) characterized by a self-low-caloric intake and a dietary preference for fat. These rats were fed either with a standard high-carbohydrate (HC) or a high-fat (HF) diet.

H(2)O(2) production was significantly reduced in rats fed a HC diet; this effect was not due to a lower O(2) consumption but rather to a decrease in rotenone-sensitive NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase activity and increased expression of uncoupling proteins 2 and 3.

Reduced oxidative stress provided by low caloric intake is somewhat lost when fat proportion in the diet is increased.

Respiratory quotient = the ratio of the volume of carbon dioxide (Vc) produced by an organism to the volume of oxygen consumed (Vo). RC = Vc/Vo.

The more oxygen consumed, the lower the respiratory quotient.

For fats, RC = 0.7, protein =0.8, carbohydrate =1.0.

Metabolism of fat consumes a great deal more oxygen relative to the production of carbon dioxide than the metabolism of carbohydrates. This means more oxidative stress. It could also mean accelerated aging.

Here are some numbers for relative oxidative stresses via different macronutrient ratios

Macronutrient ratio Relative oxidative stress level
15%F 15%P 70%C (similar to wild howler monkey diet of 17F, 14P, 69C) 1
25%F 14%P 61%C 1.04
40F 14P 46C -Standard American diet 1.10
50F 20P 30C carbohydrate restricted diets 1.15
65F 25P 10C 1955 Worst case Cretan Mediterranean or Atkins-like 1.22

ref:

Garait B, Couturier K, Servais S, Letexier D, Perrin D, Batandier C, Rouanet JL, Sibille B, Rey B, Leverve X, Favier R., Fat intake reverses the beneficial effects of low caloric intake on skeletal muscle mitochondrial H(2)O(2) production, Free Radic Biol Med. 2005 Nov 1;39(9):1249-1261. PMID: 16214040

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables