Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need advice. Might have SIBO -
Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: July 13, 2012 06:42PM

Hi Veggie Friends,

I had a severe pressure/pain in my side for several years, which western doctors told me I was making up (awesome!). I've been working with a natropath for the past year who got the pain to subside through a series of herbs, but my guts are still messed up. She's testing me now for SIBO, which rings true when I read the symptoms.

Since I refuse to eat meat, she says if I test positive she wants to get me on a diet that puts back in eggs and ddairy (blech!) and severely restricts raw food.

I am not happy and feeling pretty hopeless. Anyone have or know someone with SIBO? I really want to stay on my vegan + predominantly raw food path, but I also want to get rid of my never-ending digestive issues.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advice. Might have SIBO -
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 13, 2012 07:14PM

Hi CJJ,

If your “guts are messed up” as you say they are, then that’s Nature’s Way of asking you for a Solid Food Vacation. If you have SIBO or any other Digestive Dis-Order, flush everything out of your 30 Foot Food Tube with a long, extended properly conducted Juice Fast/Feast.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: July 13, 2012 10:40PM

John, I really like your answer. Thank you very much for your response.

How long do you consider a "long" juice fast/feast?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:59AM

Try some effective microorganisms to get your digestive flora back into balance.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 14, 2012 10:14AM

Many with SIBO and dysbiosis have carbohydrate and sugar intolerance so you might find that you don't tolerate juices, or that juices make your condition worse. The bacteria can convert these sugars into toxins which are more irritating for the stomach lining and stress the liver. The best start is to restore your gut flora.

Prana's suggestion of getting the gut flora back into balance is a good start for any digestive disorder, probiotics/fermented food to repopulate the flora and prebiotic fibres to stimulate the activity and feed them. Restoring the PH and stomach acid is also essential, bitter herbs on the back of the tongue is a good start.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 10:24AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 14, 2012 01:33PM

powerlifer!

Also, please, people, don't use medical acronyms without explaining them! Thanks!

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: July 15, 2012 10:06PM

If that happened to me, I'd be doing a juice fast for sure.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 19, 2012 05:04PM

I'd suggest Oregano Oil for starters, and see what happens. Also, how about some mineral & vitamin supplements. I have the feeling you may be deficient.

Date: July 19, 2012 05:24PM

Also, how about coconut fat:

"Medium Chain Triglycerides - Unlike regular oils, which a person with bacterial overgrowth may not be able to assimilate, medium chain triglycerides are absorbed directly without the need for digestive enzymes. Medium chain triglycerides are often recommended for people with bacterial overgrowth or any type of malabsorption. Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride."

Some brands of coconut fat are not heated.

Best to you.

Date: July 19, 2012 05:31PM

The only problem with the Oil Of Oregano is that it kills of your good bacteria also which is detrimental to the recovery of SIBO and other opportunistic pathogens of the GI tract.

But yeah there are cases when a strong anti-bacterial is warranted and Oregano Oil should do the trick. Just make sure you repopulate and support your gut flora afterwards.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 19, 2012 05:51PM

Glad you agree, powerlifer.

CJJ: It's not only regular doctors, ie, MDs, who are ignorant, not to mention mean, sometimes. Naturopaths are not much better, except for the older ones (older than about 70 years of age). At least that is my experience.

A good doctor isn't going to say, "My way or the highway!" if you have strong desires and beliefs regarding diet. A good doctor knows how to work around your personal preferences even if he or she thinks it is not the very best way to go. A competent and caring doctor will have a big bag of tricks to call on instead of telling you that you HAVE to consume things you don't want to put in your mouth.

Date: July 21, 2012 01:35PM

Thanks Horsea, you make a really good point.

My doc had me on Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus DF for a few months, which made bathroom trips worse and gave me awful heartburn, even after halving the dosage. I'm gearing myself up for another round, and a different brand.

I bought some peppermint oil capsules, turmeric, and coconut oil. I'm also considering dusting off my kombucha (months ago the doc said it's way too much sugar and I had to give it up...ignoring this advice now because sauerkraut gets sooo old).

Fingers crossed. I'm about to start the SIBO breath test kit.

I love you guys, and I really appreciate how much everyone knows and shares. I've been lurking here since '04 and I keep coming back!

Date: July 21, 2012 04:28PM

That is interesting that the probiotics gave you heartburn and is not uncommon in those with suspected SIBO.

Let us know how the breath test goes CJJ. The start with SIBO is usually trying to overcompete the bad bacteria with good bacteria/probiotics, but it doesn't always work like i say. It is a worthwhile starting point though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 04:29PM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables