Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

GM apples sad smiley
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 16, 2012 07:36AM

Soon we may have to avoid apples forever... like corn... thanks to the wonders of cross-pollination.

Unless, of course, WE OUTLAW THIS MADNESS. .\/. Keep those psychopaths away from my apples!!

[thetyee.ca]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GM apples sad smiley
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 16, 2012 11:32AM

Initially, in the 90s, I was ambivalent about Genetic Modification of foods, but willing to consider their possibilities because back then GMOs were touted as way to help keep the developing world from disease. You know, Carrot Rice, etc. This Okanagan Apple thing is entirely an artificially fabricated money generating solution to a problem that doesn't exist. No one cares if their apple browns while they are eating it, and cooks know to spritz lemon juice over apples to prevent their browning. Non problem.

Genetic Modification has no other imperative than profit--None. It is truly an abhorrent practice.

Date: July 16, 2012 08:37PM

The long-term sterility effects are more of what horrifies me.

Like BT corn making pigs give birth to sacks of water instead of babies:

[www.naturalpedia.com]

Hamsters going sterile after three generations of GM soy feed:

[naturalsociety.com]

And, generational damage. GM grass suddenly starts producing cyanide after eight generations and kills a field of cows.

[science.slashdot.org]

This apple company has its eyes on peaches and cherries. There are no limits to the cross-pollination. Cross-pollination rapes choice out of the equation. This is sheer insanity.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 16, 2012 08:47PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soon we may have to avoid apples forever... like
> corn... thanks to the wonders of
> cross-pollination.
>
> Unless, of course, WE OUTLAW THIS MADNESS. .\/.
> Keep those psychopaths away from my apples!!
>
> [thetyee.ca]
> 05/18/Arctic_Apple/

Let's not confuse GMO-ing with cross-pollination. Farmers for ages have been breeding plants, which may include simple cross pollination done by hand, or by selecting seed over & over again from the best plants. I can do it myself in my garden with my squash! All I do is take the anther from the male flower and spread its pollen onto the female stigma [hope I have my terms right]. Then let the fruit mature, take that seed, plant it next year - and see what you've got. That is the old fashioned way. You do this over and over till you have a reliable, new & improved vegetable.

GMO is high tech and un-natural, whereas cross pollination has produced most if not all of the wondrous now-stabilized vegetables we take for granted.

Date: July 18, 2012 07:52AM

I'm not confusing GMO with cross-pollination, thank you.

I am concerned about the genetic integrity of life on this planet after GMOs cross-pollinate with natural species. My point is the horrific side effects seen repeatedly with animal consumption of GMOs can be forced onto every living creature on this planet, regardless of choice or intention, if GMOs cross-pollinate natural species.

This means: your organic apples at the grocery store could actually be GMO because the wind blew some pollen from a nasty GMO orchard into the organic apple orchard next door (or, 1000 miles away, as some pollen has been found to travel). Nobody bothered to test the genetics (as the USDA organic standard doesn't currently require), and, oops, suddenly none of your grandchildren reproduce successfully. Or maybe they will just grow a bunch of weird hairs out of their mouths. Maybe we will all grow a bunch of weird and ugly hairs out of our mouths if biotech really launches the way sick people like Monsanto execs dream about it over the next couple of decades.

Not a happy ending. Not fun times. This is another great example of other people's greed ruining great things for everyone. If we don't stop this, buying organic won't mean anything at all. It will ruin "organic" irreversibly FOREVER.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 08:01AM by phantom.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 18, 2012 05:46PM

Looks like there's real 'hope' -

Texas Republican Party calls for Mandatory GMO Labeling, Legalized Raw Milk, complete elimination of TSA

[www.naturalnews.com]

"The 22-page report outlining the party's platform contains a section titled Empowering Families to Direct their Health Care that promotes freedom of choice in food and medicine, including the freedom not to vaccinate. The Texas Republican Party also opposes all efforts to restrict access to vitamins, herbs, and other supplements, and also takes a stance in support of natural, unprocessed foods, including legalized access for all to raw milk.

The same section of the report calls for the passage of real health care reform that will allow all Texans to choose the health care of their choice. The Texas Republican Party specifically endorses a truly "market-based, competitive, and transparent health care system" that is not controlled by Big Pharma and other special interests, but rather serves the health needs of individuals.

Later on in a section titled Promoting Individual Freedom and Personal Safety, the party calls for mandatory labeling of all GMOs "in a uniform and recognizable fashion." The party also opposes the mandated use of "Smart Meters," which can be used by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and other government agencies to spy on individuals."

Must be the Ron Paul influence, because this is everything he's been fighting for all these years.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 18, 2012 06:06PM

It's maddening that there would even need to be such a bill. We have the right to choose raw milk and other unpasteurized products, not to mention supplements.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 18, 2012 08:00PM

Hi, Phantom. I am sorry if I misunderstood you. Thank you for clarifying this, and you are right. - Horsea.

Date: July 20, 2012 03:44AM

Sorry if I sounded harsh. This whole apple thing has me REALLY ANGRY.

GMOs aren't good at all... but before this it was, more or less, processed foods only. Now it looks like there are some crazy people eyeing the fresh fruit supply.

But people are pushing back... and it's awesome and invigorating to see.

The big vote in California is on my birthday this year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables