Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Casein question
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 22, 2012 10:06PM

*Note: This is NOT seeking advice on whether or not one should consume the milk of a mammal! The banner of this site touts "the power of living and raw foods" and this is simply regarding how heat destroys foods.

I got to thinking today (it's fun when that happens winking smiley) about how I read of a person who had lactose intolerance and then drank raw cow's milk and is able to do so with no discomfort and I wondered if the same applied to the casein. Some people are allergic to casein. I wonder if it's really because it's a protein and we know how messed up proteins get when heated.

What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casein question
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:38AM

Even if it's more digestible raw, and even if you milked your own pet cow in a totally vegan way, it's still chock full of cancer-causing estrogens (there was another recent Harvard study published in the news), and IGF-1, which is serious fuel for cancer cells. So I'd have to argue and say, while less detectible a la the digestive tract, cow's milk is still nasty stuff causing great disturbances at the cellular level.

Although, the horror of heated proteins knows no bounds. Microwaving food can create prions. angry smiley

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:14AM

Yep, the cancer causing properties of casein is what made me to refuse diary, can only think of it as unhealthy now whether heated or not.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:16PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Although, the horror of heated proteins knows no
> bounds. Microwaving food can create prions. angry smiley

I am endlessly amazed at the number of folk into "healthy eating" who own and use a microwave oven. I'm not 100% raw (though it might be nice), but I will never knowingly consume microwaved food. UGH

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 23, 2012 08:32PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if it's more digestible raw, and even if you
> milked your own pet cow in a totally vegan way,
> it's still chock full of cancer-causing estrogens
> (there was another recent Harvard study published
> in the news), and IGF-1, which is serious fuel for
> cancer cells. So I'd have to argue and say, while
> less detectible a la the digestive tract, cow's
> milk is still nasty stuff causing great
> disturbances at the cellular level.
>
> Although, the horror of heated proteins knows no
> bounds. Microwaving food can create prions. angry smiley

I have a microwave but rarely use it. It actually came with my apt. and was the first time I ever had one in the house but I already knew how bad they were.

There is a book I want to check out about the dangers in milk and so your comment was very interesting. The one thing I wanted to ask if whether you feel the same about goat's milk. Again, I am not looking to advocate for dairy nor to get anyone else to do so, but since you made a point of mentioning cow's milk, I wondered if you limited your opinion to it. I read that there's less casein in goat's milk and less protein overall.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 24, 2012 12:07PM

banana who,

Yes. Any protein becomes denaturized, and thus less bioavailable and potentially more allergenic, when cooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables