Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is low fat approach correct?
Posted by: anadikaal ()
Date: September 09, 2012 04:16PM

I have been recently started the raw diet. It seems that the low fat direction, like in 811, makes the most sense, but it is not so easy to follow it. For instance, just 2 tablespoons of tahini or 25 almonds exhausts the daily intake of fat. How do the members of this forum relate to that theory? It seems that people who follow high fat approach with raw food diet sooner or later get into trouble. I wonder why? Perhaps it is the sugar (fruits)/fat combination that is deadly?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is low fat approach correct?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 09, 2012 04:56PM

anadikaal,

I think a lot of us here started out "gourmet" high fat raw--as I admitted to in another thread of yours--but gradually transitioned to lower fat, as Prana recommended at that other thread. Or didn't transition, as the case may be. If you try low fat high carb right off the bat and you thrive on it, then keep at it. If not, modify. You can only learn what works by actually trying it. Remember: It's your body, you decide!

Date: September 09, 2012 05:13PM

Tamukha,

Yes, but I am trying to understand the logic behind this. Am I correct to assume that this is the combination of fruits and fat that does not go well together? If one was eating Veg and fat would the impact be the same?

It is my body, but we humans are very similar, and I believe that there is some general best diet for all humans. Every gorilla is eating the same as other gorillas. Somehow only humans tend to think that each one should have a unique personal dietsmiling smiley

with the low fat, it is a petty to reduce so much the nuts. incidentally, do you know that the people of Huna who are known from longevity, eat huge amount of nuts?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 09, 2012 05:29PM

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 09, 2012 05:50PM

I don't believe its the correct way to go at least long term, low macronutrient diets in most cases dont tend to work long term for the majority.

We see many problems from low fat diets long term such as hormonal problems, people losing their cycle, adrenal fatigue, dry hair, depression, lowered immunity and so on.

Fat is the most dense macronutrient so its no wonder when people lower their intake that they lose weight. The same happens with low carb diets. Fat sources can also be hard to digest for people with poor liver and gallbladder function so many can feel relief by lowering their fat intake. It is better to work on restoring proper digestion and bile flow than lowering your fat to unhealthy amounts in the long term.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 05:51PM by powerlifer.

Date: September 09, 2012 06:47PM

Powerlifer,

this makes sense, but what would you say to the standard argument that a common ape can live fairly well on fruits and leaves without any supplements? how come we humans are dependent on extra rich diet?

what puzzles me about the low fat theory is that before entering the raw diet we all were consuming tones of fat, some of it horribly fried, without much issues, and suddenly eating 50 more nuts or olive oil manifests digestive problems!!! it just does not make much sense to me.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 09, 2012 07:02PM

I've also recently become raw, since May. There are a lot of theories as to which is the best approach, and ultimately you will have to decide for yourself which one makes better sense. This is because there will be arguments from either side.

Personally I refrained from jumping on any bandwagon, until ive researched the matter sufficiently to make up my mind about it. (This was including raw diet itself, it was two months until I decides to go 100%.) Often I found I combine different approaches, trying to take optimal things from them. For example, I like low fat diet, but not as low as 10% but rather 20%.

As to fruit and fat, read about principles of food combining. Again here you will find people who follow them, and people who don't, so it'll be up to you.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 09, 2012 07:02PM

I think for the average individuals most supplements aren't necessary, it really depends on the level of health when it comes to supplements. Someone with chronic disorders can find many supplements and herbs beneficial.

I never really like the comparison to animals because we don't live anywhere near the same as any animal does. We experience a much wider range of stressors and stimulators in our lives than any animal does to be compared. Apes and wild animals are also known for eating bugs/insects and even other animals feces.

Yeah i have pondered the exact same thing you have suggested in the last paragraph before. I feel low fat diets can weaken the bodies response to digesting fat. Bile stagnation is promoted by low fat diets, the gallbladder needs some fats to contract and release bile, which in turn aids the absorption of fat soluble vitamins.

Personally i never done well on a low fat diet this probably because i was already deficient in all fat soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids due to poor liver/gallbladder function, i eat a moderate intake of fat these days from a variety of different sources.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 07:06PM by powerlifer.

Date: September 09, 2012 07:36PM

what you said about the comparison to animals makes a very good point. we tend to look at these matters in a naive way.

as to the gallbladder I have much experience here. i have done like 40 gallbladder flushes and got rid of many thousands of stones. i wonder if they accumulated there due to the low fat diet.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:36PM

anadikaal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as to the gallbladder I have much experience here.
> i have done like 40 gallbladder flushes and got
> rid of many thousands of stones. i wonder if they
> accumulated there due to the low fat diet.

Unfortunately you've wasted your time there, doing 40 flushes and thinking you were getting rid of thousands of stones. While many approaches to health and healing are contested, so far as the gallbladder flushes are concerned it's been scientifically proven the "stones" which come out have nothing to do with gallbladder stones.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: September 10, 2012 03:10AM

You can't compare humans to animals. If you aren't a fit animal in the wild you die, whereas many of us have been born with weak bodies as well as weak genetic lines but can still live long healthy happy lives. We don't need to toil physically to get our food. All animals are physically fit from strong genetic lines that are active on a daily basis unlike many humans.That's why different individuals have different needs.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 10, 2012 03:39AM

I wouldn't label it "correct" or "incorrect," no.

Maybe increase your activity level and then increase your calorie consumption and you will be able to eat more than 2 T. of nut butter whilst staying at 10% or lower calories from fat.

Date: September 10, 2012 04:31AM

>Unfortunately you've wasted your time there, doing 40 flushes and thinking you were getting rid of thousands of stones. While many approaches to health and healing are contested, so far as the gallbladder flushes are concerned it's been scientifically proven the "stones" which come out have nothing to do with gallbladder stones.<

Oh, I need to strongly disagree. The proper 'liver flush' is taking out the stones. Some of them are very old, from childhood. I know that some claim that those who are doing it are 'naive' thinking these are stones, while in reality this is just olive oil solidified or something like that. Oh, no, they are stones alright. After you do it several times, there are less and less stones coming. But one has to do maintenance form time to time. These stones are simply cholesterol/bile solidified in the gallbladder. An average person has like 2000 of them.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 10, 2012 12:37PM

U cant compare humans to animals?

Should we eat more like a chimp
Or a moose
Or a wasp?

And we eat fried without much issues?
Cant say I would agree

u would need to understand
The impact of vitality and the relation
To symptoms

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 10, 2012 11:34PM

Humans are animals. LOL

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:14AM

I highly recommend researching the importance of DHA in the brain and how it is synthesized from plant-sourced omega-3s before making any decisions about fat percentage.

You can supplement with vegan, algae-sourced DHA.

It's probably one of those things I should have been all over when I first went raw but had no idea about. smiling smiley

Fats are like gold for the brain (read about coconut oil and alzheimer's). Use and choose them wisely (e.g., sunflower seeds have an omega 3:6 ratio of 1:60).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables