Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
quinoa
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:38AM

Just curious if quinoa is a grain or not? I googled it and it said no but other people are telling me it is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quinoa
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:20AM

Yes it is a grain, I have never read any technical info on it though.

Date: November 15, 2012 03:13AM

Interesting. So, I guess this would not be "raw" then since it is a grain.

I definitely feel better without grains in my life, so there is my answer.
Thank you

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: November 15, 2012 07:32AM

You can sprout them. Doesn't taste too good though.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: November 15, 2012 05:55PM

It's not a grain. It's a pseudocereal/seed.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: November 15, 2012 06:00PM

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Grains, fruits, alkalinity, cultivation, and lethargy
Shiji (---.du.uplink.net)
Date: 08-25-02 20:12

Someone on this board once made a claim like "there are allot of alkaline grains." I didn't care much at the time, however recent research has shown this to be very false. Technically speaking according to factual botanical definition, buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth are FRUITS and NOT grains but they are generally included with the grain group, and are far more alkaline then their actual grain counterparts, such as white/brown rice, wheat, barley, rye, and oats. Wild rice, though technically a grass (but not a rice) is the most alkaline true grain.

Sprouting may make true grains more alkaline, but still, sprouting the fruits-that-are-mistaken-as-grains will still rate you higher on alkalinity. Its interesting to note, that amaranth was prized by the Aztecs, quinoa by the Inca's, and wild rice by the Native Americans; all intelligent ancient cultures. Why are the widely cultivated crops always nutritionally inferior? Why can't we adopt these better choices?

Anyway, I've been eating cooked grains again at every meal, and I have been incredibly fatigued as a result for the past two days. I think it may have to do with my usage of grains instead of the fruits mentioned above. I will either balance the fruits with the grains, such as quinoa with oats, and wild rice with brown rice, or just use the fruits instead, I'm not sure as of yet. I bought an organic 10-sprouted grain/fruit bread, and I think that’s going well.

If you didn't read my earlier post, I will point out now that the only reason I am eating a little cooked food now is for control and stability, so that I am not caught in a trap of binge eating once again.
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: November 15, 2012 09:33PM

michelemm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. So, I guess this would not be "raw"
> then since it is a grain.
>
> I definitely feel better without grains in my
> life, so there is my answer.
> Thank you

Quonia is raw though in the fact that they have not been cooked or processed in any way. And you can easily sprout them or soak them over night and cook. I feel that if a person does not do well with them they might have an allergy or Leaky Gut! these are the two main reasons for this. I do feel that grains are an exellent food source and have been for a long time. If a person has poor digestine this could also affect them when eating grains.

Date: November 16, 2012 01:19AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I wonder if I incorporate some quinoa into my plan if this will help me to get through this transition phase. I still want to eat fish for some reason which I know is not raw nor healthy for me.

I think it has to do with feeling tired when I do not eat enough of the other great plant based protein sources.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:04PM

i'm not keen on the taste of quinoa but it sprouts really easily and quickly. I often mix it with sprouted hemp and maybe almonds and make mylk from it. I heard it's related to spinach in some way (?) and it's a complete protein, and as John's post mentioned it's an ancient food, so I figure it's probably worth adding in smiling smiley

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:04PM

True it sprouts quickly, the problem is that some of the seeds do not sprout, making them difficult to eat raw. It is very hard to take them out of the batch.

Date: November 17, 2012 01:37AM

michelemm Wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions. I wonder if I
> incorporate some quinoa into my plan if this will
> help me to get through this transition phase. I
> still want to eat fish for some reason which I
> know is not raw nor healthy for me.
>
> I think it has to do with feeling tired when I do
> not eat enough of the other great plant based
> protein sources.

I think you need to use some digestive stimulators to maybe cure any hunger issues. Just use some Curry Powder in some warm water 20-30 min before a meal, like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Hopefully this will wake up your digestive system. It amazes me how weak many peoples digestine is. And even more amazing is that we don't recognize it? What stressfull lives we lead.

Date: November 17, 2012 04:03AM

rzman10001 Wrote:
> michelemm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for your suggestions. I wonder if I
> > incorporate some quinoa into my plan if this
> will
> > help me to get through this transition phase. I
> > still want to eat fish for some reason which I
> > know is not raw nor healthy for me.
> >
> > I think it has to do with feeling tired when I
> do
> > not eat enough of the other great plant based
> > protein sources.
>
> I think you need to use some digestive stimulators
> to maybe cure any hunger issues. Just use some
> Curry Powder in some warm water 20-30 min before a
> meal, like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Hopefully this will
> wake up your digestive system. It amazes me how
> weak many peoples digestine is. And even more
> amazing is that we don't recognize it? What
> stressfull lives we lead.

This is a good idea, I am going to try it tomorrow, thank you. I really want to stay with this but I feel like it is getting harder. Tomorrow is a new day and I will try again. I definitely will not report what I had for dinner.. it was totally vegan, but not RAW and not low fat.. needless to say, at least I did not meat or fish. Maybe my body is starting to get used to craving carbs which would be a good thing, in my case. I also had a pear, 2 plums which is more fruit than normal for me.

I ran a mile, did one step class, and a weight class. I think my body was calling for carbs because I could not write my paper until I ate the carbs this evening to think straight. Weird.

Date: November 17, 2012 10:40PM

It's also intresting how we speak about carbs because of how we are taught. Brian Clement always says scientifically speaking our diets should be made up of about 90% carbs of wich should mostly be vegies, grains, fruits and what ever carbs come along with our fat sources. Keep up the digestive drink it's one of the least expensive digestive stimulators to use and I have found it to be pretty effective. Thousands of years of use in india says somthing about these herbs imo. Happy trails

Date: November 18, 2012 05:11PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
> It's also intresting how we speak about carbs
> because of how we are taught. Brian Clement
> always says scientifically speaking our diets
> should be made up of about 90% carbs of wich
> should mostly be vegies, grains, fruits and what
> ever carbs come along with our fat sources. Keep
> up the digestive drink it's one of the least
> expensive digestive stimulators to use and I have
> found it to be pretty effective. Thousands of
> years of use in india says somthing about these
> herbs imo. Happy trails

Thank you. I will continue to stay strong and adapt to my new life. Struggling a bit, but it will be worth it. I guess my biggest obstacle is learning how to retrain my brain into not being so TYPE O dependent. I do think there is some validity to the blood type lifestyle, however, I am not a meat eater, bottom line.

Sometimes I wish a magic wand would come around and take away all the thoughts I had two months ago.

What I find interesting is that I was thinnner and had a lot of energy on the blood type diet compared to now. That is where I question my decision... I know we are suppose to eat a plant based diet, but when I saw such benefits from the other way of eating, does it make sense that I would question it?

Hope noone is offended here.

Date: November 19, 2012 12:49AM

michelemm, you have to do what keeps you happy and healthy first off. I feel the same way you do, I know I should be raw and vegan but circumstances don't always allow it. The important thing is that we are trying to correct hundreds of years of flesh eating and fifty years of processed foods.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: November 19, 2012 07:03PM

I was raw for some time, and then I added quinoa. I boil it, and use it as a base for salads. It's a complete protein, and I love the taste. Make sure you rinse it very well before cooking, because it causes bloating otherwise.

Date: November 20, 2012 02:02AM

rzman10001 Wrote:
> michelemm, you have to do what keeps you happy and
> healthy first off. I feel the same way you do, I
> know I should be raw and vegan but circumstances
> don't always allow it. The important thing is
> that we are trying to correct hundreds of years of
> flesh eating and fifty years of processed foods.

True. I think it is hard because I have not had any gluten, dairy in 8years and I am 37. Also, I was vegan for about 15 years. Overall, I thought I was doing pretty good until I started the BTD. Anyhow, I just want to feel happy and healthy again. However, everytime I try to just eat raw or fruits, I am all over the place so it has to be a veggie only thing to start. Does this make sense?

Date: November 22, 2012 09:36PM

michelemm Wrote:
> rzman10001 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > michelemm, you have to do what keeps you happy
> and
> > healthy first off. I feel the same way you do,
> I
> > know I should be raw and vegan but
> circumstances
> > don't always allow it. The important thing is
> > that we are trying to correct hundreds of years
> of
> > flesh eating and fifty years of processed
> foods.
>
>
> True. I think it is hard because I have not had
> any gluten, dairy in 8years and I am 37. Also, I
> was vegan for about 15 years. Overall, I thought I
> was doing pretty good until I started the BTD.
> Anyhow, I just want to feel happy and healthy
> again. However, everytime I try to just eat raw or
> fruits, I am all over the place so it has to be a
> veggie only thing to start. Does this make sense?

It's good to hear your thoughts lol it dosent have to make sense to me just take it easy and try to figure out what makes you feel good. Once and a while I will take an educated guess as to what I might need to feel better without doing blood tests that I can't afford. I pay close attention to how I feel once doing somthing new. As I said before I think relatively healthy people can go raw easier than sicker people. And breaking down fatty acids and converting them into what we need could be a challenge for some of us. Calcium and Magnesium are also lacking in a lot of our diets. I have tried Magnesium oil recently and it helped me alot. I cannot take magnesium orally so this was a big deal for me thanks to some of the board members. Also Brian Clement is studying this form of Mag right now and seems to really like it. The first thing 90% of HHI clients are put on a Mag. suppliment. And this is even with all the awesome food they have there, wich should tell us something. Even with the best diet and constant juicing we are not getting enough important neutrients. Now it's up to us to find out what we need to further our health. Hasta

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: November 23, 2012 07:17AM

When you say that magnesium and calcium are lacking? Do you believe this is true of long-term raw fooders? Also, which standard are you using--for example, the US standard "requires" more calcium than any other western country, and osteoporosis rates are higher here. I'm not sure that the "professionals" have necessarily arrived upon the correct ideal dietary allowances of nutrients, as there is so much we don't know.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: November 26, 2012 01:20AM

fresherthanlife Wrote:
> When you say that magnesium and calcium are
> lacking? Do you believe this is true of long-term
> raw fooders?

It all depends on who you are? how good your digestine is, and, if you are eating the things that have lots of these neutrients, raw foodist or not. And no, long-term raw fooders should not have these issues in general.

Also, which standard are you
> using--for example, the US standard "requires"
> more calcium than any other western country, and
> osteoporosis rates are higher here.

For calcium I am not using a standard, just making a general observation based on years of reading and listening to the leaders in the industry comment on this subject. Even if you have the right diet you might not be absorbing this nutrient for some reason, so you should consult someone that knows what to take with if to help absorb it.

I'm not sure
> that the "professionals" have necessarily arrived
> upon the correct ideal dietary allowances of
> nutrients, as there is so much we don't know.

Yes there is alot we don't know but there are people that are doing a pretty good job of it these days. If a person is truely healthy! and is eating a well rounded raw food diet there should'nt be much of an issue with most nutrients. Brian Clement and some other raw foodists I know of are doing a pretty good job of it. The thing is I find that most peope that get into this type of diet are searching for answers to thier poor health already. We humans are soooo! stupid lol. If you are concerned about calcium I like Garden of Life Raw Calcium or something. I think they have more than one product now. It comes with all the co-factors you need to absorb it. I am guessing that you know not to drink milk for calcium and did not want to go into all that lol. You can research online.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:35PM

I find grains to move slower in my body, which I don't like. But I eat soaked wild rice everyday and love itsmiling smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2013 07:42AM

Quinoa is 100% whole grain and is close to being a perfect food source in the balance of nutrition it provides. Technically it's not a grain but the seed of a leafy plant related to spinach. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein - 12% to 18%.Also Quinoa has a nutty, smoky flavor and is less filling than other grains and pastas.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 29, 2015 08:29PM

what is the best way to sprout quinoa?
it seems good to eat with seaweed

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 29, 2015 10:30PM

i sprout it using the jar method, soak over night and wash many many times. sprouts very quickly.

i was watching a video of gabriel cousens, and he mentioned that with grains and pseudo grains, one of the things he recommends is heating water to 150 and placing it on top of the grains to sit over night, making it easier to eat and more palatable, and at this temperature enzymes are not destroyed. anyone hear him mention this?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 30, 2015 03:01PM

hey tezcal

would you say they sprout within 24 hours?

why 150 degrees
when enzymes supposedly break down around 118?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 02, 2015 03:03PM

John Rose Wrote:
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
> &t=29005
> Grains, fruits, alkalinity, cultivation, and
> lethargy
> Shiji (---.du.uplink.net)
> Date: 08-25-02 20:12
>
> Someone on this board once made a claim like
> "there are allot of alkaline grains." I didn't
> care much at the time, however recent research has
> shown this to be very false. Technically speaking
> according to factual botanical definition,
> buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth are FRUITS and NOT
> grains but they are generally included with the
> grain group, and are far more alkaline then their
> actual grain counterparts, such as white/brown
> rice, wheat, barley, rye, and oats. Wild rice,
> though technically a grass (but not a rice) is the
> most alkaline true grain.
>
> Sprouting may make true grains more alkaline, but
> still, sprouting the
> fruits-that-are-mistaken-as-grains will still rate
> you higher on alkalinity. Its interesting to
> note, that amaranth was prized by the Aztecs,
> quinoa by the Inca's, and wild rice by the Native
> Americans; all intelligent ancient cultures. Why
> are the widely cultivated crops always
> nutritionally inferior? Why can't we adopt these
> better choices?
>
> Anyway, I've been eating cooked grains again at
> every meal, and I have been incredibly fatigued as
> a result for the past two days. I think it may
> have to do with my usage of grains instead of the
> fruits mentioned above. I will either balance the
> fruits with the grains, such as quinoa with oats,
> and wild rice with brown rice, or just use the
> fruits instead, I'm not sure as of yet. I bought
> an organic 10-sprouted grain/fruit bread, and I
> think that’s going well.
>
> If you didn't read my earlier post, I will point
> out now that the only reason I am eating a little
> cooked food now is for control and stability, so
> that I am not caught in a trap of binge eating
> once again.
> &t=29005

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: February 02, 2015 05:58PM

ZeuS the @#$%& wrote:

<<<John Rose Wrote:
> &t=29005
> Grains, fruits, alkalinity, cultivation, and
> lethargy
> Shiji (---.du.uplink.net)
> Date: 08-25-02 20:12>>>

Just for the record, this was a Post written by Shiji and not by me.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 02, 2015 07:08PM

It could not have been written by John Rose.
He would not go thru a 30 or more days juice fast and then eat cooked rice and grains.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 02, 2015 07:23PM

John Rose Wrote:
> ZeuS the @#$%& wrote:
>
> <<
> > &t=29005
> > Grains, fruits, alkalinity, cultivation, and
> > lethargy
> > Shiji (---.du.uplink.net)
> > Date: 08-25-02 20:12>>>
>
> Just for the record, this was a Post written by
> Shiji and not by me.

There were no quote marks in your post to allow readers to know if it was you was saying something or if you were just cut and pasting what someone else said. All careful writers use quote marks when they are quoting someone else. Didn't you once say you aspire to one day be a writer?

That you didn't add your admonishment that cooked food was the fall of mankind in your post also makes it look like the information in your post was coming from your personal knowledge rather than being "borrowed". I know why you would never admonish yourself. Why didn't you admonish the provider of the knowledge or readers to not eat cooked food in your cut and paste post?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 02, 2015 07:32PM

Why admonish someone who is trying to make raw work for them, but are not yet raiding to go 100%' as was the cas with Shiji?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables