Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

thrush, green powder, yeast
Posted by: amazi ()
Date: December 01, 2012 01:35PM

Hello all
I had what I believe to be thrush about 2 weeks ago. It went away using the typical remedies; probiotic, garlic and no sugar and yeast.

Since i'm trying to get healthier in diet I've started using a Garden of Life Perfect Food Green Powder. I've been feeling amazing since taking it Unfortunately the thrush has come back. I can't think of any reason but the Powder. I'm going to stop taking it in hopes of seeing a change. But I'm hoping to figure out what might be causing the reaction.

Is this detoxification? The Powder has been in a cool place for over a year and it expired on Oct of this year. I didn't detect any spoilage or bad odor so I decided on giving it a try. It might be yeast from the powder going bad. Is there yeast in expired green powder drinks? Or if it's not expiration then it's something in the ingredients?

Perfect Green Juice Blend 5000mg
-Barley Grass Juice, Alfalfa Grass Juice, Wheat Grass Juice, Oat Grass Juice
Perfect Protein-Mineral Blend 3300mg
-Spirulina, Rice Bran Solubles, Chlorella, Calcifed Red Algae, Various Kelp Species
Poten-Zyme Whole Food Matrix 1200mg
-Barley Grass, Oat Grass, Wheat Grass, Alfalfa Grass
-Sprouts of: Amaranth, Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat, Adzuki Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Kidney Beans, Lentil -Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Sesame Seeds
Acerola Cherry Extract 300mg
Perfect Veggie Juice Blend 200mg
-Beet, Carrot, Broccoli, Cucumber, Tomato, Kale, Spinach, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Parsley -Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Bell Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Onion
Probiotic Blend

This condition might limit my choices in finding an ideal green food powder if I'm reacting to the ingredients in such a way. It doesn't seem to be a detox reaction but I could be wrong. I'd appreciate any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thrush, green powder, yeast
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 01, 2012 02:33PM

The powder shouldn't be doing it; are you supplementing with probiotics anyway, to outcompete the fungi? IMO, that would be a good idea.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 01, 2012 02:37PM

Agree with Tamukha, i don't think its the greenpowder especially seeing as there is a probiotic blend added and a few anti-microbial ingredients.

Try stopping the green powder though, i know you are getting good effects otherwise but its always good to check. Also beneficial yeasts such as nutritional yeast are inactive and don't contribute to fungal overgrowths. However there are a small number of individuals who are allergic to yeast.

My favorite green superfood product is Enerfood - Enerfood Green Superfood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 02:38PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 01, 2012 06:59PM

Yes Tamukha I am taking probiotics. I suppose my body is detoxing through my mouth then.

Otherwise I feel amazing but I'm going to stop adding the powder. I asked Garden of Life customer support if Yeast can develop from their expired product (even though it's just a month). Never got an answer in their reply. I suppose they have to avoid questions like this for legal reasons.

Thanks Powerlifer. I really didn't want to stop taking the powder since I just started and I'm getting the benefits I needed. There was you tube video with Kevin Gianni that says green foods with carob powder aren't good for candida because it's a carbohydrate. Someone in the comments sections mentioned carrots also which this green powder has.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 02, 2012 06:28AM

By the way, the garlic you are eating kill both the good and bad bacteria. If you want to reduce the yeast and bad bacteria in your system, try taking some of the Syntropic Antioxidant microorganism that I mention in this recent post.

Date: December 02, 2012 09:41AM

Garlic also is a potent prebiotic though and won't reach the majority of the flora.

The amount of carob and carrot are probably so small that they'd be of little issue. The best thing to do would be to temporarily stop the supplement though even though you are getting other good benefits.

Are you sure that its thrush and not the coated tongue that comes from bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid?

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 09:49AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 02, 2012 10:45AM

It's coated white with the tip and most of the top feeling like it's been burnt. I have sores on both side edges of my tongue that sting slightly. I used hydrogen peroxide to relieve it. The probiotic I crushed and swished on my mouth helped relieve the issue the more I used them. This along with apple cider vinegar and garlic made it go away.

I'm using the same treatment now except I've added oil of oregano and I'm drinking a lot more green juices. I'll keep this thread updated on whether eliminating the green powder helped or the source is elsewhere.

Date: December 02, 2012 11:18AM

Watch with the oil of oregano whilst its a potent natural anti-biotic, it also kills off the gut flora which is essential for the prevention of opportunistic overgrowths such as candida.

I had the coated tongue due to low stomach acid and bacterial overgrowth. Maintaining stomach acid is also essential to prevent overgrowth of opportunistic pathogens.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: December 02, 2012 10:05PM

Oil of oregano does feel too potent. Dosage recommendation is 30 drops, I take 5-6 drops and let it sit in my mouth.

Update; The thrush has diminished substantially 1 day since eliminating the Perfect Food powder. I'm relieved but at a loss about powder supplements. I hope that this has come because the item has expired. No other factors involved in what is causing the thrush. I understand that there isn't any yeast in the product from manufacturing but it's after during decomposition yeast could present itself.

How did you overcome the bacterial overgrowth? Alkaline diet I presume.

Date: December 03, 2012 08:54AM

Exactly the opposite Amazi, Like i say above contrary to belief it is the stomach acid which prevents the overgrowth of opportunistic pathogens such as candida.

I still suspect that its not thrush but the white tongue as there isn't anything in the powder product which would cause candida and it contains a number of ingredients with proven anti-candida properties such as garlic and the probiotic blend. Have a doctor test if possible so you can rule out if its thrush or not.

I had that white coated(sometimes green color) tongue all my adult life due to poor digestion. Restoring gut flora balance with probiotics and prebiotics is the best idea.

Actually i just wrote an article recently on some tips that helped my digestive problems, which might interest you.

[natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: December 04, 2012 09:11PM

During my chronic fatigue, I had thrush and sinus infections. I often wondered if they were related.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 06, 2012 01:59AM

I read your article powerlifer. thanks,
On the topic of probiotics aside from your recommendation in the article would suppositories be a better option. Granted that I just started taking probiotics but after 2 weeks it feels like I'm just barely keeping the next infection at bay. Our stomach acids kill a good portion of the probiotics we supplement with so would suppositories be better option. Can i use the generic Trader Joe ones I'm currently using?

Just prior to the 2 thrush (or bacterial overgrowth) attacks I had a Urinary Tract Infection. Now I'm on edge. I never had UTI or thrush before so I'd like to be ahead of the curve. I'm now very aware that my immune system is compromised and trying to tell me something. I'm juicing everyday, taking probiotics, prebiotics, vitamin C, B12 and eating a healthy diet. I'm relieved that my tongue is almost clear but it's worrying considering that once I relieved the UTI the Thrush appeared. Now that I've almost cleared the thrush what should I expect.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: December 06, 2012 11:37PM

I just lost my post? what the heck! Here I will try it again.

amazi, the green powder will not give you thrush even at that date and probably never. It is more likely just a coincidence or you are having a reation to the green food. Did you use antibiotics to get rid of the UTI? that would be much more of an issue. Otherwise you seem to be doing well as you say, and you seem to be self aware enough to believe that you have a weak immune system. I say this because I believe if you do have thrush then your system is truely not up to par. Good luck

Date: December 07, 2012 12:12AM

rzman10001. I took an antibiotic a little over a year ago for no reason at all. The doctors misdiagnosed and, while the tests were sent away to confirm, I was given the antibiotic. A week later I came to see the embarrassed doctor who sheepishly stated that I didn't have anything afterall.

The UTI just happened over 2 weeks ago and I cleared it without an antibiotic. I'm so happy I didn't depend on the antibiotic even though many online recommended to take it. I cleared the UTI with apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice, vitamin c and d-mannose. I mixed in oregano leaf extract, turmeric and cayenne but I'm 90% sure that the apple cider vinegar did the trick.

My thrush symptoms have almost cleared. I spoke to someone at a health food store about the effect the green powder was having on me. He enlightened me that the green powder may have been compromised by the manner it's been kept. There's the possibility that I used a spoon to scoop other products and juices to scoop the same green powder. In so doing I introduced bacteria or yeast. I know this must have happened because I do this all the time. I'm not sure if I mentioned this also but I used this product then left it for over a year unused. During that time the bacteria must have set in. When I started using it again it was a brick and I had to pulverize it again to use it. So far no one has confirmed that the green powder can develop yeast by itself untouched. So I have to go with the chance that I'm the culprit and have to be very careful not to reuse my scooping utensils.

I purchased several sample packets of Perfect food raw and amazing green to see if I have a reaction. I hope I don't. Thanks for the feedback

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables