Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

30 bananas a day versus 80-10-10
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:12AM

The other day I linked a video comparing the two low-fat raw vegan diets. I really was blown away by the realization that 30bananas was an actual diet. I thought that was just an expression or just a carb-loading practice for athletes.

It doesn't appeal to me on the grounds of eating 30 of ANYTHING, LOL. I just wonder if anyone has done this one and why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 30 bananas a day versus 80-10-10
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: December 04, 2012 04:03AM

Seriously, IMO that cannot be healthy. I might need to increase my fruit, but I think that is a little extreme!

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 04, 2012 04:36AM

With all the exciting juicy fruits out there why would somebody restrict themselves to bananas.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:24AM

There are some significant differences between the two diets. The 30Bad diet advocates a 90-5-5 ratio versus the 80-10-10 ratio. 30Bad recommends 3000 calories a day, whereas 80-10-10 calorie requirements are more in line with standard nutrition practices. To get the 90% carbs, the 30baders drink datorade and eat lots of bananas and banana smoothies, to get the 3000 calories (which is about 30 bananas).

The 30bad diet also includes things like store bought juices, and cooked starches and vegetables. B12 injects are highly advised on the 30bad diet. The 80-10-10 diet, at least based on the recipe guides that are offered in the book and in their recipe books, include all raw recipes.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:26AM

You might want to check out Megan Elizabeth's advise countering the recommendations offered on the 30bad website.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:20PM

I do try to keep in mind that 30bad[that's not a double meaning, there, btw] seems to be suited to extreme athletes: marathoners, marathon cyclists, that kind of person.

I work with children and even I don't need 3K cals a day! grinning smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 04, 2012 05:57PM

I think they should start making a difference between sexes and diets. The 3000+ calorie 80-10-10 makes some women fat while I don't remember seeing men getting fat. I believe this is due to hormones or maybe another reason. It could be in how fast sugars go in to the blood. If too fast, then triglycerides (fats) are produced. Some women don't exercise as much as others and that may be the reasons on the different results. OK, some could say they exercise 50 minutes a day but if they just 'float' that is not going to get the same results. I know people they've been to the gym forever and they just 'float' and look worse. It depends on the person. Exercise does not mean the same to everybody.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:44PM

I can eat 5 bananas and no more. I follow 80.10.10, which just means I keep my fat down to 400 calories. But I do admire durianridersmiling smiley he gets to eat fresh durian, which I love!

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: December 06, 2012 07:08AM

For those considering 80/10/10 and 30 Bad, just think that you'll only be eating raw fruits and raw vegetables for the rest of your life.

Sit and think about that for a while.

Raw nuts and seeds you say? They are just as tasteless as the raw veggies.

And make sure you have enough money cause these diets are expensive as hell.

And 99.999999% of those on it cheat. Including Douchebag Rider and Freebee and Not a Doctor Graham.

But don't take my word for it. Try them out and see how long you last. Maybe you may be one of the lucky 0.000001%.

Date: December 06, 2012 10:16AM

NGU Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those considering 80/10/10 and 30 Bad, just
> think that you'll only be eating raw fruits and
> raw vegetables for the rest of your life.

So? there are many fruits and vegs.

> Sit and think about that for a while.

That sounds good to me.

> Raw nuts and seeds you say? They are just as
> tasteless as the raw veggies.

Cook food needs spices and salt because it is tasteless and unatural. Fruits and vegs don't.

>
> And make sure you have enough money cause these
> diets are expensive as hell.

I agree with you. They are more expensive than eating plain bowls of rice but they also make a difference.

>
> And 99.999999% of those on it cheat. Including
> Douchebag Rider and Freebee and Not a Doctor
> Graham.

I don't know. Maybe cheating is good. We create this world of labels and limits but it is all in our head. It does not exist outside our head.

>
>
> But don't take my word for it. Try them out and
> see how long you last. Maybe you may be one of the
> lucky 0.000001%.

failure does not mean failure for all. Maybe those who cheat survive. If they feel good, then why not?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 07, 2012 02:06AM

Hi Prana--
I have learned that Doug Graham has now changed his mind and allows cooked food and even some meat A Per of the 80/10/10 diet-- which is a complete turnaround from his very formerly very strict raw vegan stance.
If anyone doesn't believe me, I will gladly provide proof in the form of links to his recent writings on this subject.
He seems to have had some sort of epiphany, and to have abandoned raw veganism as the ultimate method for the achievement of optimal health, in favor of a more omnivorous version of 80/10/10.
It's probably related to his health issues-- he was in the hospital not long ago for an undisclosed health problem, and recent photos taken during the past couple of years reveal that he is looking quite noticeably haggard and unhealthy, at least if one goes by the natural hygienic principles that lines and wrinkles in the face are a sure sign of nutrient deficiencies and disease states.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 07, 2012 02:14AM

[30bananasadaysucks.com]

Exceprt:
"After realizing all the people who are severely failing on his diet he has decided to change his stance and says it is okay to eat cooked food now, even animal foods as long as you stay in the 80-10-10 range. Wow, this is some serious change. I can not believe he is trying to market himself to be omnivore friendly now after all these years. He even says in the beginning how everyone took him the wrong way he did not mean it for raw foodists. So go ahead guys Doug Graham Master of the Pinky Universe says it is okay to eat chicken."

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 03, 2013 02:22AM

kwan,

Eh, I think Graham is subtly criticizing the zealots with that statement from last summer, and warning them that their zealotry isn't doing any favors for the spread of raw vegetarianism.

Factions gonna faction. Or something. smiling smiley

Date: January 03, 2013 10:14AM

It may not work for some people. People are people. And many jump on 811 with eating disorders, mental disorders, not eating enough, cheating %, unrealistic expectations of time results, etc.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 03, 2013 11:39PM

kwan Wrote:
> [30bananasadaysucks.com]-
> is-changing-is-story-now/
>
> Exceprt:
> "After realizing all the people who are severely
> failing on his diet he has decided to change his
> stance and says it is okay to eat cooked food now,
> even animal foods as long as you stay in the
> 80-10-10 range. Wow, this is some serious change.
> I can not believe he is trying to market himself
> to be omnivore friendly now after all these years.
> He even says in the beginning how everyone took
> him the wrong way he did not mean it for raw
> foodists. So go ahead guys Doug Graham Master of
> the Pinky Universe says it is okay to eat
> chicken."

Whoa...I've gotta look into that! I had just revisited the book recently, you know...

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: January 04, 2013 05:23AM

Kwan, are you sure he isn't being sarcastic, and was he really in hospital?

Date: January 04, 2013 10:13AM

it would be funny to read what he wrote and compare it to what sucks.com says.

Date: January 04, 2013 03:00PM

I am not a big fan of 30BAD Sucks, because the entire premise is based on ad hominem and it pervades every thread[and also creeping paleo advocacy] and I don't think that's healthy behavior for most 80-10-10 apostates to engage in. High fruit doesn't work for you, and you resent being unable to discuss it with the gurus, OK. But constant mocking and venting helps how?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 03:03PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 02:13AM

Prana Wrote:
> There are some significant differences between the
> two diets. The 30Bad diet advocates a 90-5-5 ratio
> versus the 80-10-10 ratio. 30Bad recommends 3000
> calories a day, whereas 80-10-10 calorie
> requirements are more in line with standard
> nutrition practices. To get the 90% carbs, the
> 30baders drink datorade and eat lots of bananas
> and banana smoothies, to get the 3000 calories
> (which is about 30 bananas).
>
> The 30bad diet also includes things like store
> bought juices, and cooked starches and vegetables.
> B12 injects are highly advised on the 30bad diet.
> The 80-10-10 diet, at least based on the recipe
> guides that are offered in the book and in their
> recipe books, include all raw recipes.

Wow pushing B-12 injections? that alone would tell me that I don't want to have anything to do with these nuts! laughs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables