Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it ok to eat raw beans??
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: April 03, 2013 12:17AM

I was searching to find out if raw asparagus are ok to eat.

Can anyone tell me of a resource that they really trust to find these answers out. Answers, that is, to what plant foods are NOT ok to eat raw and why. ??

I am curious about several things, one being asparagus, another being sweet potato and yet another raw, fresh green beans (out of the garden - trying to decide whether to plant any)

Coco make a suggestion on a thread (sev yrs ago) to someone that instead of actually cooking a veggie (forget which one they were talking about), the veggie could instead be "cooked" in lemon juice and ?? was it olive oil? Anyhow, I thought, Oooo I wonder how many veggies can be "cooked" like that. What a great idea. Kind of like Ceviche.

If you know of any plants that some folks eat that we should NOT eat raw AND why, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks all

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it ok to eat raw beans??
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 03, 2013 01:52AM

Asparagus can be eaten raw, as I have done it many times. A friend let me pick and eat asparagus right from their garden. The best ones are the thin tender ones.

Green beans are OK too, if they taste good to you. Again, the young tender ones are the best.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 03, 2013 01:54AM

I've eaten raw asparagus, too. It's crunchy but strong. Always changes the smell of the urine.

I've made raw hummus from sprouted chick peas. I got a lot of gas from it but at least I tried it.

Therese

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 03, 2013 03:25AM

Therese, raw hummus made from raw chickpeas is bad news - the gas issue. There are great recipes for raw hummus made with zucchini instead of chickpeas.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 03, 2013 02:38PM

lentils and mung beans are safe to eat raw. Most other legumes are too high in trypsin inhibitors, anti-nutrients, that cause nausea and other side effects. Chickpeas are on the fence but contain higher levels of the trypsin inhibitors than mung beans and lentils.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: April 03, 2013 04:50PM

I eat raw chickpeas sometimes, but do not like them.

Hummus... made with zucchini-- that sounds great!

Date: April 05, 2013 04:56AM

Wow, loving the feedback. Thanks guys.

So, pborst, are you saying that even eating green beans fresh off of the vine is not a good idea unless they are mung or lentils??

Mindy

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:32PM

I don't know about green beans specifically but trust Prana's experience. I tend to think of green beans as veggies rather than legumes though clearly they are.

It's other types of legumes and beans such as kidney beans, navy beans etc that have the high trypsin inhibitor count.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 06, 2013 02:15PM

Mindy,

I agree with Paul[hi, Paul!]

Green beans have traditionally been eaten right off the vine in many cultures with no ill effects, so I consider them OK to eat raw. Dried beans must be rehydrated and at least partly sprouted for most people to be able to digest them.

It really depends on what your particular system tells you it tolerates, although if not sure, Wiki individual plant foods to make sure they aren't toxic when raw, like taro root and rhubarb leaves.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2013 07:19PM

life101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've eaten raw asparagus, too. It's crunchy but
> strong. Always changes the smell of the urine.

Not true! Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. It is also found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs, and in the secretions of skunks. The signature smell occurs when this substance is broken down in your digestive system. Not all people have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some of you can eat all the asparagus you want without stinking up the place.

Beans taste horrible raw sprouted except for lentils. Even sprouted adzuki have a nasty starchy flavour. That's enough to keep me from eating them raw.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 06, 2013 08:55PM

All three vegetables you mentioned are fine if your system tolerates them and you are resonably healthy. I think it's funny people are questioning eating such vegetables. Like Prana said, much better if they are tender AND organic would always better in every way. IMO you will be fine with sprouted mung and lentil. Adzuki if they are good. Pea are also good but it is hard to get these fresh and or high quility sprouting seed. Chic Pea is also hard to get good sprouting seed. Take it easy with the beans, IMO it takes good digestine to digest these although Brian Clement says they are easy to digest. If you are new to this forget Chic Pea, Adzuki and Pea and start with something easy like mung and lentil. I always tell this story, I used to get the sweetest greenbeans from CA. they were so tasty that you could not stop eating them. My neighbors were making fun of me just eating a bowel of them. I said here try one, and wow were they surprised. They said, "These are great!" crunchy and bright green!

Date: April 08, 2013 04:48AM

Thanks y'all!!

I'm going to try them right off of the vine and see how I do.

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables