Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vomiting after raw beets juice
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: May 07, 2013 12:32AM

Hi all,

Today, I went to whole food store and bought organic gold beets. I decided to make beet juice. I washed beet roots and cut in small pieces. Then made juice using Blentec blender. I drank juice and not feeling good. After several minutes, I vomited. still not feeling good.
Can anyone help me what caused me to vomit? Can beet be eaten in raw? Do you know what I should take to make me feel better?

Thank you very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vomiting after raw beets juice
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 07, 2013 12:37AM

You're not supposed to juice more than half a beet or so! I guess it depends on size. How many did you juice? I kept reading about it paralyzing the vocal cords, which I found sort of odd.

It's good to get a book on juicing and see what the recommendations suggest. Certain veggies like beets, cukes, and celery are usually not consumed alone.

Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: May 07, 2013 12:49AM

Thanks for the quick reply.
This was my first time to make beet juice. did not check online. I used one beet root to make juice with 2 pieces of watermelon. It was almost 28oz. I felt horribly nauseous after drinking it and vomited after several minutes,

So, I should stay away beet juice?? what if I cook them, will I get vomited also?

Thank you.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: May 07, 2013 01:04AM

Follow some good juicing recipes, esp. if you are just starting out. There are reams of them to be found online, and lots of great juicing books.

"Juicing for Life" is one of my favorites -

[tinyurl.com]

Beet is a very cleansing veg - it is best to mix w/ apple juice. Most recipes I have followed are something like;

1/4 beet
3 apples

Dark vegs. are typically strong cleansers - same with dark greens; cut them with apple juice is a good way to go.

Date: May 07, 2013 01:10AM

Date: May 07, 2013 02:19AM

Interesting info., banana -

I never heard that before about the vocal cords. I do know that best are a very potent cleanser & can be tough on a person's liver, especially in a person who has poor liver function to begin with.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 07, 2013 04:37AM

jj2011, it sounds like beet juice is not a good food for you. Please listen to your body.

Date: May 07, 2013 10:21AM

Are you sure about that Prana?

Judging from the OP's experience, I get the feeling that they just "overdid" a good thing, especially since they are (assuming) new to this.

I remember when I first started out & experienced awful symptoms because of all of the junk I had accumulated over the years, and like most people new to this experience, I wanted to "get it all out" of my body at once;

So, I went completely overboard on detoxing/cleansing instead of easing into it, and I kept it all down, but felt pretty bad for several months while in the cleansing phase.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 07, 2013 12:41PM

Yes, Beet Juice can be very cleansing and one must always start off with small quantities. On page 178 in “The Juiceman’s Power of Juicing,” Jay Kordich, aka, “The Juiceman” writes, “Beet Juice is potent stuff. Never drink it solo. Always dilute it with a milder juice such as apple (page 134), carrot (page 112), or cucumber (page 111). The juice of half a small beet is all that should be mixed with the juice of four apples. Pure Beet Juice—from the bulb or the greens—may temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, cause you to break out in hives, increase your heart rate, and give you alternating chills and fever.”

Here are several articles about the Benefits of Beet Juice…

[www.naturalnews.com]
Beets are an Alternative Cancer Treatment
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 by: Kim Evans, citizen journalist

[www.naturalnews.com]
Beet Juice Boosts Athletic Performance by up to 16 Percent
Thursday, February 18, 2010 by: David Gutierrez, staff writer

[www.naturalnews.com]
Enjoy the Many Healthy Benefits of Beets and Beetroot Juice
Friday, October 15, 2010 by: Tony Isaacs, citizen journalist

[www.naturalnews.com]
Beet juice provides incredible cardiovascular benefits that improve active function
Sunday, December 19, 2010 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

[www.naturalnews.com]
New study finds beetroot juice promotes brain health in older adults
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 by: Tony Isaacs

However, BEWARE of the Nematodes…

Re: Beet Juice Promotes Brain Health...
Date: Wed, March 16, 2011 11:11:12 PM
To: jcrose@prodigy.net

Because of nematodes, it's important to peel the beets carefully without contaminating the inner beet flesh with the surface of the skin. Keep up the good work, John. We're proud of you.

[vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu]
VEGETABLE CROPS
The Sugar-Beet Cyst Nematode, an Important Pest of Red Beets and Cabbage

[nematode.unl.edu]
SUGAR BEET NEMATODE

Peace and Love..........John

Date: May 07, 2013 06:08PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jj2011, it sounds like beet juice is not a good
> food for you. Please listen to your body.

You don't believe in cleansing reaction from veggies, Prana? From my link:

" Both the roots and the greens are powerful cleansers and both can be juiced."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 06:09PM by banana who.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 07, 2013 10:44PM

Good to know!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 08, 2013 07:23AM

I think if something makes you vomit that's a pretty clear reaction. Maybe you are allergic. Maybe it was contaminated with something. Maybe you drank too much. Whatever the reason try it again in smaller doses maybe. Too much of any good thing can give bad results lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2013 01:33PM

Agree with Jodi, jj; I know I'm not allergic to beets, as I always respond well to both raw and cooked ones, but when I drink more than a small serving of raw beet juice all at once, my system says, "Oh, heck no!" and I feel sick almost immediately.

I think once one is very cleared out, if one tries drinking a large amount of beet juice and feels sick afterwards, that is a sign of strict incompatibility.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables