Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating Just Avocados
Posted by: jimmyjoe ()
Date: November 08, 2006 09:31PM

Hello because I am afraid of all the stories about too much acidity and too much fruit would a diet high in avocados be wise and healthy? Eating around 4 or 5 avocados per day would bring in so many important vitamins without worrying about all the acidity stuff.

has anyone tried this? advice is appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating Just Avocados
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 08, 2006 09:56PM

I'm sorry, I have a feeling that I scared you. I can say that some people do well on fruit and it alkalizes in their bodies just fine, but a person that doesn't metabolize acids well, it will have an acidic effect.

I know others will give you some good advice on here. I do know that bananas are alkalizing, and also vegatables. Avocados are alkalizing as far as I know, but why would you just want to eat those when so much variety and balance is available? I think a good balanced diet would be good. I hope others will give you some good advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 10:01PM by shep252.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 08, 2006 11:18PM

Well:

My own experience is that I transitioned to an all-fruit diet after many years of eating raw...and have been very satisfied thus for many years. Recently I started running / training again (came in 23rd out of 200+ in the 5K last week). I've been eating a lot of avocadoes (not exclusively though! Ha! ha!). I think the larger infusion of fruit-based calories and fat are fine if you are staying active.

-If you are not practiced and well-satisfied with a mono-diet on a regular basis, I would avoid eating them exclusively! LOL.

-Just my opinion.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2006 11:28PM

I don't recommend eating more than one avocado a day. That would be too much fat.

The optimal level of dietary fat is somewhere between 15% and 25% depending on your metabolic type. Eating 2 avocados would make your fat intake over 40%, eating 4 avocados would probably make your fat intake over 65%

Date: November 08, 2006 11:32PM

The fat present in avocados is healthy correct? This is exciting Imma eat tons of avocados (plenty of variety, but mainly avocados) and my body will thank me haha

i forget to mention i am very active and hopefully the fats will support my muscles because i burn many calories

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 11:33PM by jimmyjoe.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 09, 2006 12:02AM

Yup. Pretty healthy. But a high-fat (even plant fat) diet doesn't work well for most........especially those that are still eating relatively un-healthily. I have no problem maintaining my weight or health level...but each person has to guage their own reaction....and adjust. Most beginners I advise to eat a huge variety....and to designate a measured and healthy amount of fat to include in every meal to feel properly satisfied. But it's your call.

-David Mason

Date: November 09, 2006 12:14AM

does anyone believe i should fast first? i think it would be wise to fast first and im thinking an orange juice fast would be effective does anyone else agree? advice is so much appreciated

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 09, 2006 12:39AM

I eat a ton of avocados, sometimes 8-10 a day, halved and with a spoon, and I don't get bloated or gain weight, nothing, I love it, Other days I eat other stuff.
I eat one an hour or so. It fills me up and makes me feel loved inside, like comfort food!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 12:40AM by coconutcream.

Date: November 09, 2006 02:10AM

hello coconutcream you are the perfect person i am looking to ask questions to. wow 8-10 a day thats my goal i want to be a mainly avocado eater. can you tell me about your skin condition and hair? do you have nice skin? im guessing all those healthy oils in the avocados make you a goddess haha

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 09, 2006 03:37AM

8-10 avocados a day is too much for long term health.

Of course, eating 8-10 avocados a day is better than eating a hamburger or steak, but its better to concentrate on eating fresh leafy green vegetables and some fruits instead of avocados. I reccomend no more than 1 or 2 a day, at the most.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 09, 2006 07:18PM

10 florida avocados:

2760 kcals

meets needs except these:

b12 (absent), D (absent), thiamin (low) calcium (very low), iron (very low), sodium (very low, yes you do need some), omega6yawning smileymega3 ratio (way too high--it's 18:1 whereas it should be no higher than 4:1).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 07:20PM by arugula.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 09, 2006 11:25PM

Depending on who you ask you get different opinions on that.

That guy who wrote FRUIT the natural diet ,has been fruitarian for 10 year and he says without avocados he would not be able to do this, I am fine. I do fine, I am very healthy!

LOLi get comments all the time on my skin, it feels really soft, people tell me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 11:25PM by coconutcream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables