Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long can you store wheat berries in the freezer?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 30, 2013 11:10PM

I am thinking of ditching these. I bought a couple of pounds on the cheap at a local farmers market and I think they've been in there several years! Time goes so fast that I wouldn't be surprised.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long can you store wheat berries in the freezer?
Posted by: brome ()
Date: May 31, 2013 06:30AM

I think they would be good for centuries if not millinia. Scientists found some 15,000 year old lupine seeds that were frozen into the arctic permafrost during the last iceage. They were all viable and grew healthy, vigorous plants.

Date: May 31, 2013 06:55AM

Here's a well researched find of frozen, 32,000 year old seeds that were viable:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 06:58AM by brome.

Date: May 31, 2013 01:42PM

Whoa...Okay, perhaps I am being too hasty. I had worried about the ten pounds of almonds I ordered around Christmas but they are gone so that was for naught. smiling smiley

Hey Brome, how about shelled hemp seed? I got this insane deal on Amazon and since it's shelled I figure I will need to store it in the freezer. It's not a super huge quantity (about 3.5 pounds) but I don't know about how rancid it gets as I have never had hemp seed before. I also ordered 3 pounds of chia seeds but I am okay with leaving them in the cabinet. I heard they are very shelf-stable.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 31, 2013 01:47PM

nanners, the hempseed you would have to try; if it's not bitter it should be OK. As for the wheatberries, if you bought them for sprouting or some such use, if they sprout, they are still viable.

There's really no way to know how long these things last, as it depends on variety, time of harvest, initial storage conditions, etc. Good luck!

Date: May 31, 2013 01:59PM

Any seed will last a very long time if frozen. So the hemp seeds should do just fine. In the Svalbard Global Seed Vault temperatures are kept at 0 degrees F.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: May 31, 2013 02:07PM

Tam, one reason I dislike hemp and flax oil is that they always taste bitter to me. Same with sesame seeds but when I soaked the unhulled type it seemed to lose a bit of the bitterness. I like bitter greens but for seeds it seems wrong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables