Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What was your food for today?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 25, 2013 02:25PM

Hi Sproutarian Man, do you sprout your chia in trays of soil? Do you ever grow it outside? Would it be good like that do you think? I remember hearing Susun Weed say that it's best to grow food in the ground so it connects with the Earth, that really struck me.. I like to grow as much as I can outside in the garden now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 26, 2013 07:06AM

Ya feelin' good Storm?

Date: June 27, 2013 06:32AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Basically, after having a big bowl of mung bean
> sprouts more than 3 hrs before training I still
> felt bloated, and would get winded out easily on
> the verge of throwing up.

Oh wow, definitely like Jubsy says...beans can be toxic, even sprouted beans. Jubsy reports about beans being soaked in water for 5 years and still contain the various indigestable proteins.

>
> I want to pprove that I can be a hardcore trainer
> on the raw vegan diet. I KNOW it can be done but
> is it feasible/applicable?
Of course. Sprouted seeds and sprouted grains etc.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: June 27, 2013 06:37AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> Question... is it best to train after all the food
> is digested? How about water?

why not train before a main meal? l do. Try to take only a small sip of water at least two hours after a main meal.

Sprouted beans only take me 3 hours to digest. lf it is taking much longer, avoid them! l do well on sprouted legumes.

What about lentil sprouts? Grain sprouts like amaranth or quinoa or the millet (millet is pretty tough to drink because of it's taste)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 06:38AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: arawnut ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:51PM

So far all I've been doing is making smoothies and I use my dehydrator. I need a juicer but I don't know which kind to get. When I purchase equipment I want one that won't ruin the nutrients and when I start juicing i'll only do 8 oz at a time. Maybe I should be making a smaller portion of smoothie too. Anyway, what do I need to look at in a juicer?

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:30PM

I need a juicer but I don't know which kind to get. When I purchase equipment I want one that won't ruin the nutrients and when I start juicing i'll only do 8 oz at a time.

There are two main types of juicers out there - centrifugal and masticating (same say that twin-gear, or triturating, juicers are a third type, but I classify them as masticating for simplicity). Juicers also come in both automatic (electrical) and manual versions.

Centrifugal juicers tend to oxidize juice much more rapidly then masticating juicers, which results in greater nutrient loss and less healthful juice. They also don't juice greens (which should be the main thing you are juicing) very well at all. Single gear masticating juicers cause far less oxidation and preserve more nutrients, as well as extracting more juice from the fruit/veggie (more bang for your buck). Twin-gear juicers extract the most juice and cause the least oxidation, but generally cost the most. Masticating juicers tend to have problems juicing soft fruits, but you shouldn't really be juicing fruit anyway - too much sugar without the fiber, and not enough nutrients to make up for it.

If you're only planning on juicing 8 oz at a time, a manual wheatgrass juicer is your best bet. If you want to juice large quantities, though, you should save up to buy a high-quality automatic masticating juicer like the Greenstar or the Angel. In the meantime a manual juicer is better then nothing and you can juice large quantities with one if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

More on the different types of juicers:
[www.harvestessentials.com]
[www.bestjuicers.com]
[www.juicingandrawfoods.com]

Best to focus on the green sprout and microgreen juices, grass juice and even weed (wild greens) juice if you can get it. Like I said above, it's best to avoid juicing fruit, and store-bought veggies just don't have the necessary levels of nutrition in this pollution and stress-filled world. They can also have large quantities of antinutrients like tannins and oxalic acid.

--------
Always drink the juice within minutes of juicing, and swish it around in your mouth and "chew" very thoroughly to extract the maximum nutrients from it. Some people say juice will stay good for 48 hours or more, but it just isn't true. Fresh juice starts deteriorating immediately, so it must be consumed immediately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 08:45PM by Living Food.

Date: July 01, 2013 10:31PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Hi the sproutarian. You said the cloths for
> sprouting flax/chia are easy to wash. How exactly
> do you wash them? I'd be afraid most soap or
> laundry detergants can leave harmful residue but
> w/e.
Never use any soaps. Just scrape the cloths clean with a spoon or a scrubbing brush (only takes a couple of minutes for chia cloth and 30 seconds for flax) and then boil the cloths. When you have boiled them for 20 minutes let the water cool to a warm temperiture and then play with the cloths in the warm water to make sure all the slime and bits and pieces are off them, and then hang out to dry or use them straight away to put a new batch of seeds on.

Use organic cloth and filtered water and never any soap. The cloths won't be spotless clean but at least they are sterilized and safe to use.

I'm shooting a video on this hopefully this week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 10:32PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 02, 2013 07:00AM

Ode to the Sprouty Sprout

the sun keeps sprouting
reaching out to me with
tendrils of light
as I soak me beneath the earth
and then i peek out from underneath the grit
first a raw umber dot
then a blonde jade line reaching towards the light
then shy little petal looking things attached
i yawn out more growth until
i look up
and see a pair of shears
waiting to cut me up
"awwwwwwwwww ahhhhhhh arrggghhhhh!!!! "
i say
then i decide its okay
just go with the flow
and

whatevevs

Date: July 03, 2013 11:10PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> how do you know how much to prepare for what
> you'll eat the Sproutarian Man?

I've learned it over time and experience. But sometimes l make adjustments if l need to eat slightly more or less. Nothing ever stays the same, but things level out more over time.

>
> Do you just make a lot and eat what you can and
> then throw away the rest?
l know roughly how much food l require. l have it down to a fine art now.

Did you start off that
> way and adjust?
When l first started out l ate a LOT, and over time l required much less food as l became more aware that l wasn't suffering hunger and that it was mainly mental issues of adjusting from a cooked to raw diet. l was starting to feel stuffed and didn't feel like eating the food so l cut down what l was eating, but it still took a big mental adjustment to accept that and get used to feeling less full. l was less full and not satisfied, but l was not hungry. The cooked food has really messed us up mentally...we are used to full stomachs where we shouldn't be like this. l went through a period where l wasted food during my transition from eating lots to eating much less.

Do you follow a 'standard' ?
l do now.

>
> I've been having hunger issues, though I don't
> feel weak. Basically, I'd feel like not eating, or
> it could be that I just dont feel like eating what
> I'm having. If I do eat, I dont know how much I
> should be having and will often stuff myself.
> Being that I've learned so many guidelines for
> diet, I'm just used to that I guess. but to be
> honest I've never made it truly work. I need some
> intuitive guidance for it all, which I don't have
> and am also afraid of using.

Please give full details of the amounts you eat, the combinations and how you are consuming the food. Do you eat or blend? Lots of things need to be worked out on the sproutarian diet when making the adjustment....big changes can happen fast. Blending is really important when starting out, especially since we all started from cooked food...need to compensate with blending so it's not such a shock to our body and mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 11:11PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 04, 2013 05:20AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Well I had whatever I could of the sprouts I made.
> DIdn't do the seaweed though.
> After preparing the grated beet/ginger/carrot for
> fermenting I used some of it and the beet greens
> to make wraps with some of the sprouts I had. So,
> layered alfalfa, beet/carrot/ginger and on top of
> that flax/chia with sesame sprouts. Wasn't really
> good but it was neutral.

Storm:

l will get back to your other posts later, but l want you to listen to a short part of Dr Jubb's video of what can be when we do diet at a very high level. This is exactly my experience about food being in suspension. Jubb is really resonating with me of late, but that said, l know l am not doing everything right either. Things take time. Watch from 33 mins - 34:50. Jubb absolutely nails it!!! That's what it is really about, but it takes time to conquer old habits and a messed up mind from SAD. Something to think about...there IS light at the end of the tunnel.
[www.youtube.com]

As Dr Jubb says, the key is to eat the `livsmat food' and to eat so you are slightly hungry but not hungry. To eat less than is satisfying (it's all a mind thing) is key. l can have a green juice and some fruit and go strong until night if need be....l feel slightly hungry but never hungry enough to need to eat food. Same goes if l eat a small amount of sprout seeds and sea vegetables...l can go all day and feel high and gets lots done and the food is suspended because l don't feel the need to have more and can go all day without needing a fill up. NOW...that being said, l don't always do those things because l am still a creature of habit and will fill up at dinner with indigestable proteins like sprouted grains and sprouted legumes, but l realise it is only a mental thing. When food is in suspension you are on a spiritual and energy high and time FLIES by really fast. That's what it is really about.

Filling up the stomach to it's full is just SAD behaviour, but l still do it sometimes with sprouted seeds and it takes down the high and l feel like sitting around doing nothing because the food is no longer in suspension (had too much).

I never normally talk about these things because people would get too blown out, but this is what we can do. In time, if you eat to 75% satisfied you'll see things completely different and will be liberated.

But l wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 05:23AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Cypher_X ()
Date: July 07, 2013 12:28AM

Lunch: big bowl of watermelon and cantaloupe
Dinner: green smoothie

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 07, 2013 11:07PM

nuts, fruit, salad, and a vegan pizza, dried fruit. What exactly of each...not sure, and not too particular about what exactly...all plant foods however.

Date: July 08, 2013 01:49AM

l went against my intuition today and had some bench ripened bananas. BIG MISTAKE! l went from a high down to a real mental low and now have stomach cramps. Bananas are such a dodgy food. When l used to eat SAD, bananas were fine, but when you live on the sprouts and eat low level foods like bananas you really feel the effects. Never again, l might throw the rest out.

Date: July 10, 2013 12:35AM

A short 25 second blend of:

* sprouted sunflower seeds (1 day)
* sprouted chia (2.5 day)
* sprouted sesame (2 day)

+ 3 big teaspoons of kelp powder.

NUTRITION PACKED!!!

No time for chia grass and ryegrass juice this morning.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:29AM

Storm,

A better way to adjust the ph with ACV is to add that drop to a cup of water. Use that acidic cup of water to adjust the water you plan to use by adding small amounts and checking the ph. This way you not trying to adjust with such a concentrated source.

My tap water comes out at 8.8, so I adjust it all the time, both for drinking and watering and compost tea in my garden.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 10, 2013 05:17AM

Yup, I call anywhere in a range of 6.5 to 7.4 close enough for me. I keep it closer to 6.5 for the plants. (6.4 to 6.7)

I have a pretty accurate electronic ph reader. Ph test strips are okay, but I wouldn't trust the type of test kit that you add drops of an activator to a sample and compare the color to a chart. Those are never accurate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 05:25AM by swimmer.

Posted by: Cypher_X ()
Date: July 11, 2013 10:37PM

I had a greem smoothie today. I didn't eat very much.

Date: July 12, 2013 02:33AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Tried juicing again the sprouts with my manual
> juicer but wasn't successful like before, without
> a veggie to help out. Just ate the rest.

What type fo manual juicer are you using?

Certain;y green juices are definitely good to help with digestion and other stuff.

Started the day with:

* fenugreek sprout juice
* chia grass juice
* rye grass juice
( 3 large mugs - 750 ml)

Later l will be having Dulse purple sea weed and week old fermented nuts.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 07, 2013 04:18PM

I personally wouldn't consume fenugreek in any form consistently. It's medicinal at that volume and medicine is for when you really need it, even the natural stuff. I throw a small handful into salad now and then or have a small cup of the tea here and there and that's it. I would eat it every day just for the way it affects body odour (makes you smell like a maple cookie!) but lol that's too much too often.

Lately I've been bringing the same thing to work for lunch, apples, cucumbers and pecans, today I also have some green string beans and a small avocado. Nothing to drink because I find it so hydrating already, I'm p33ing all day! And the bitters I made, those are a must or digestion is just off no matter what I eat.
But today I am hungry in a way that isn't feeling satisfied. I wonder if I'm missing a nutrient lately and my body is sending me hunger signals to get me to eat more until I make up what's missing. I might need some more iron, I tend to get low on that easily.

Date: August 07, 2013 10:29PM

Coco,
Do you think that frequent consumption of fenugreek is harmful? or in large amounts on any one time? I just recently made a container of fenugreek sprouts, and I am enjoying smelling like maple syrup, that was a few days ago. Its still coming out of my pores. Some people dont like it, but I love it.

I also planted some seeds to try as immature greens. I thought I would see how those taste in that form. I had heard of the benefits of fenugreek, but no source ever suggested that one would have to limit consumption only in times of need.

Date: August 07, 2013 10:32PM

Todays food:
Teff pancakes, green tea, melon, apricots, vegan vegetable rolls sushi style, nuts, dried fruit, a spoon full of epa/dha vegan oil blend. Some goji berries. Mock duck at a thai resturant, along with green papaya salad. So good. brown rice. I feel like I am missing something, but I dont know what. but all plant foods only.

Date: August 13, 2013 03:15PM

I don't think fenugreek is dangerous I just think that at a high volume and frequency it's too much. It has such a profound impact on the body, it seems to me that it's working medicinally. I use it as an infrequent food stuff myself. Love it, just don't think it's good as a staple.
And I too love that smell, maple cookie winking smiley.

Posted by: ShelShel ()
Date: August 24, 2013 09:18AM

Breakfast: raw cinnamon raisen bagel
Lunch: raw bread with raw mayo tomato slices and lots of romaine sandwich
Dinner: raspberries, blueberries with buckwheat and raw mylk
smiling smiley. Yummy and good for you!

Today will be apples, grapes and a large mixed greens salad with raw honey mustard dressing. grinning smiley gosh I love being raw!

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: August 26, 2013 09:48PM

last week i was told that my bad digestion could be caused by undigested events in my life...

well, raw food is not enough it seems - i realized I need to clean all areas in my life

love,
Cynthia

Posted by: HH ()
Date: August 26, 2013 10:56PM

What's "mylk?"

ShelShel Wrote:
> Breakfast: raw cinnamon raisen bagel
> Lunch: raw bread with raw mayo tomato slices and
> lots of romaine sandwich
> Dinner: raspberries, blueberries with buckwheat
> and raw mylk
> smiling smiley. Yummy and good for you!
>
> Today will be apples, grapes and a large mixed
> greens salad with raw honey mustard dressing. grinning smiley
> gosh I love being raw!

Date: August 28, 2013 10:09PM

A food processor will work though you may have to run it for a while, stopping to scrape down the sides a few times.
I have a single auger omega juicer that I've used to grind nuts, seeds, and cooked or sprouted beans with success.
Dry seeds work well in a small spice mill, like a coffee grinder. And the addition of liquid would make it possible to grind them in a blender.
Lots of options smiling smiley.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables