Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The amazing purslane and hydrilla
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 28, 2013 11:55PM

I found out that purslane is edible and very good for you. [www.jacn.org]
I am sure this is old news to most of you here.

I also found out it was hydrilla that I was looking for. Its sold as a supplement, but has anyone eaten this fresh?
[www.eattheweeds.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The amazing purslane and hydrilla
Date: July 29, 2013 02:18AM

Affected your consciousness? In what way exactly? The thing I wonder about is why is it being sold as a dried powder, but nobody is eating it fresh. It seems like it would be easy to do, and it would provide abundantly if managed well, like in a home aquarium. The article I found on line suggested something about the texture which wasnt good fresh. But is there any other reason?

Why are you concerned about heavy metals and this plant?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 29, 2013 07:53PM

Purslane is my favourite weed but I'm hesitant to eat it where I find it most abundantly, the library parking lot tongue sticking out smiley.
I wish I came across it more during nature walks but it just seems to love the cracks in concrete best of all.

Date: July 29, 2013 09:54PM

Coco,
I gathered some seeds of it today. I remarked on the same thing, as it seems to grow most where people don't want it. The seed source was from the front yard, where the apartment management has put down various fertilizers and pesticides.

My partner immediately said "DONT EAT THAT!" as he saw me pulling some up. I just got some minute seeds and wrapped them up to take up to some flower pots. I hope that the seeds havent accumulated too much stuff.

I think he was more worried that it was a strange plant, and secondarily as to where it was growing. Hes totally unfamiliar with the plant. I guess I cant blame his response. I remember tasting a very small amount several years ago. Someone said it was edible, but I simply didn't know that it had so much to potentially offer.

Date: July 29, 2013 09:55PM

The storm,
Yes, the source of anything can always be an issue. I never knew that those were edible. certainly I never knew anyone who ate hydrilla.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: August 01, 2013 12:10AM

I thought it was a weed - I have tons of them (purslane) in my garden - how do you prepare it? just adding it to salads?

Date: August 01, 2013 12:23AM

I have tasted them once, but make sure that you really have purslane. Commone spurge looks very similiar and thats toxic. I image that it would be good in salad.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2013 03:55PM

It's so tasty, pluck the leaves and eat handfuls of put into salad. A bit of a lemony flavour. Tender and lovely.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 06, 2013 07:02PM

purslane is very high in Omega 3s, alpha linolenic acid. In the Omega Diet, it's identified as one of the key foods that gave Crete such good outcomes in the 7 Countries Study by Ancel Keys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables