Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Partner wants to go omni again
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 07, 2013 08:32PM

My partner told me today that the diet doesn't make any difference. He feels the same as he always does, and actually more tired than ever. He thinks hes anemic and needs some animal product to feel like doing stuff again. He also wants to start drinking alcohol again, as hes depressed and cutting that out isn't making any difference. I told him that maybe he get some blood drawn and see a doctor to find out if its something other than anemia, and something else entirely.

We did buy some vegan epa/dha oil today. Something we thought about doing anyways. Maybe it might make a difference maybe not. He had a serving and he sounds very disspointed in it. He says its expensive and doesn't taste good. I haven't had any, so I just dont know what hes talking about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Partner wants to go omni again
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 08, 2013 01:43AM

Hi Mislu, If your partner wants to change his diet because he feels he will be better, may be you can accept his decision. You don't have to change your diet with him. If it's just the anemia, he can supplement with Iron in veggie caps. I buy the Solgar brand. I'm anemic, too. I know that eating animal products will not make me less anemic, however. I was anemia as a meat eater, too. I just didn't know it. I recognize the extreme fatigue bouts that I have now as ones I had when I was in college, etc. Also, investigate if your parnter has Celiac's. That will cause internal bleeding and anemia along with numerous other problems.

Taking Vitamin D supplements and drinking St. John's Wort tea also help with depression and nervousness.

I had a hard time convincing myself that I needed to go raw vegan early on this journey and I did do a test run back to SAD. It was only reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live" that convinced me to stay the course. If you haven't read that, I highly recommend it. The other factor was that I kept getting sick (cold/flu) eating animal products.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Therese

Date: August 08, 2013 10:59PM

Life101,
True enough, I dont have to do what he does. However, he had me thinking that maybe something is wrong with how I am eating. I sometimes feel tired, but I think I have been like that for awhile. But I think overall I feel way better.

I had a cholestrol check today at a supermarket. I commented that I was trying vegan, and curious as to how that affected by blood. I was surprised at the general ignorance. This woman at least had a clue that I was going a vegetarian diet, but asked if I ate eggs or fish. I said only plant products, and she just gave me a look like that was something impossible, or dangerous or something. She just said 'good luck'. The woman doing the testing said she always wanted to try vegan, but she liked meat too much. She asked what it was like. I said I felt very clean and pure inside. She seemed to take that very positively.

We are still both eating plant foods. But maybe its worthwhile to see someone for a general check up. The question is who? The woman in the cholestrol check line kept on wanting me to see the nutritionist associated with the supermarket. I was so surprised that they even had one. I took the advice with some suspicion. My partners sister is a nutritionist, and she thinks that fried chicken nuggets are good for children. Maybe this one is different. But I didn't like how the discussion was going. She kept on saying that I had to be careful with my protein....

Date: August 09, 2013 02:00AM

Mislu, Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm always tweaking my diet. I've had to do it again just within the last couple of days. I've been having terrible stomach pain for the past week or so. It was so bad two nights ago that I couldn't get to sleep easily. I had to put energy pendants on my abdominal area to calm it so I could sleep.

I think I've been eating too many raw peanuts and cashews and over doing the cooked vegan which wasn't alot. Now, I have to move a step or two more and minimize the cooked vegan.

I've really been studying Dr. Joel's Fuhrman's advice on the contents of the diet. I realize that I haven't been eating enough greens and I had been relying on nuts (not huge amounts) rather than fruit or greens to satisfy my appetite.

I've heard about blood tests that one can take to determine nutritional deficiencies and general well-being. I know that when I went to a diet doctor in Fort Worth when I lived there, the first thing he did was do blood work and he recommended vitamins/minerals based on the findings. I also read where Kevin and Annemarie Gianni did blood tests on a regular basis when raw vegan.

Regarding tiredness, I've been super tired, too. I think much of it is due to anemia and stress. I feel refreshed on most weekends but then the week comes and I'm tired again. I haven't had lots of time off so that may be a factor, too. I read where Kevin Gianni stated he had adrenal fatigue and he drank Tulsi tea to heal.

Maybe, instead of a nutritionist, you could find a naturopath or holistic doctor that can review your blood tests and guide you to optimal health? Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 09, 2013 05:05AM

I have all but given up trying to convert, convince, cajole my mate Mislu its a losing game smiling smiley Ive told him on numerous occaisions i would like us to live out old age together but he continues to abuse himself with drugs, alcohol, overwork, lack of sleep. Somethings going to give for him at some point and i will be here for him . hopefully not to late. the tools are here the food is here .its up to him to take it grasp and show some interest. in all other ways he is a great funny amazing person, coprovider will always have my back at the drop of the hat. and i will be here for him if he needs me .. in the meantime i march to my own drum while our lives intersect and i have alot more peace about it now smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 05:06AM by Jgunn.

Date: August 09, 2013 01:34PM

Thank you life 101, very helpful information.

Jgunn, Hes still vegan, as we both are. But if he decides to eat differently thats ok. I dont know if it would be easy for him. He found some bottle of vodka in the freezer, and he mixed it with soda water. He tossed it out. He let me try a taste...awful. So, I think we are doing healthy eating long enough that our taste has changed.

Date: August 10, 2013 09:53PM

Well, he had a chance to go to a wine and cheese pairing tasting. He turned it down. I encouraged him to go if he enjoyed that, but he wasn't interested at all.

Well, I just weighed myself today. I lost a significant amount of weight. A side benefit I suppose. Its not really what I was interested in, but I lost weight I didnt really need. but sometimes I wonder if its all good, and hope that I am not loosing muscle.

Wasting away to practically nothing...(joking)
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2013 10:13PM

I think there's a difference between wanting to include things in the diet that have been omitted that you feel are missing to the point of negative impact on health and just throwing in the towel and having a food, drink and lifestyle free for all. The inclusion of alcohol which is a depressant when one is already facing issues of depression is an indication of unhealthy decision making in my opinion.
But these are choices we can only make for ourselves. It's just as unhealthy to fret about another's decisions as it is to choose them for our own lives. That's what I think anyhow. Living in the moment means being here right now and not in any projected imaginary future scenario. No one can know what's going to happen, no matter what. I am just letting that stuff go...

Date: August 10, 2013 10:21PM

Hi Mislu, I think that is great that you encouraged your partner to do what he might enjoy. It is quite revealing that he chose not to go.

I was reading Dr. Fuhrman's book and he states that in general the weight tables are not correct. He stated 95 lbs for a female at 5 feet and add 4 pounds per inch over. I know many of us are near or under that. He states a good rule of thumb is that a woman should not have more than one inch of skin that can be pinched near the belly button. Hmm. I failed that one. Still working on it though.

Dr. Fuhrman also states to exercise to build muscle if one feels they are too thin. This has never been my problem, though. Lastly, on his nutritarian diet, one will reach their ideal weight. "True hunger maintains your muscle reserve, not your fat."

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: August 10, 2013 10:26PM

Therese,
That helps a lot. I suppose the video clip is misleading on two accounts. I am actually a guy, and I am not nearly that evil... is there a chart for men as well, with the better guidelines. I better start working out. I like being thinner in many ways, but I always fear getting 'skinny'. But that might not be an actual worry..

Date: August 10, 2013 10:41PM

Sorry, Mislu. Ooops! Thanks for the clarification.

For men, Dr. Fuhrman says 105 lbs for 5 feet and then add 5 lbs for every inch thereafter. Dr. Fuhman is 5' 10", 150 lbs, and his BMI is 21.5 with a 30.5" waist (measured at the navel) as revealed in his "Eat to Live" book. Dr. Fuhrman states that men should not be able to pinch more than 1/2" at their belly button.

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: August 10, 2013 11:25PM

wow, have I got something to work on! thank you therese.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables