Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Frozen Vegetables
Posted by: Elphaba ()
Date: November 15, 2006 03:00PM

This is probably a silly question, but are frozen vegetables really raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frozen Vegetables
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 15, 2006 03:09PM

Most are going to be at least blanched (doused with boiling water) before being frozen. They are not as vital or healthy as fresh...so I would shoot for the healthier fresh alternative. However, if consuming frozen vegetables helps YOU during your transition....and helps you eat more fresh raw veggies in the future, I say go for it!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: RawRookie ()

I may be wrong but isn't the process for freezing veggies is first boiling them in really hot water but then freeze them? This way the veggies do not get soggy after defrosting them.

If I cam correct - then I would say no.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()

They are raw but not as nutritious as fresh raw vegetables.
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 15, 2006 04:09PM

djatchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are raw but not as nutritious as fresh raw
> vegetables.
> [www.rawfoodexplained.com]
> age-of-foods-part-i/does-freezing-harm-foods.html

Store bought frozen veggies will have been cooked first. This article is refering to freezing your own food, which is not as bad as cooking.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: November 15, 2006 04:17PM

Vegetables are blanched first, placed in boiling water for a pre-determined amount of time per kind of vegetable. It is usually just 2-4 minutes. They are then plunged into ice cold water to stop the "cooking." The purpose of blanching is to STOP ENZYME ACTIVITY so the "quality" does not degenerate for the time period they are frozen.

They are less cooked than canned, but they are still cooked briefly and at least a portion of enzymes are killed. Live, enzyme rich food is the goal of those eating raw food. But this would certainly be a better way of transitioning than some others I can think of.

I used to freeze my own produce from my garden and read up on the subject. They can be frozen without blanching, but the norm is to blanch. I do not believe fruits are blanched first, but I am not certain as I never had fruits and never studied it out.

Posted by: Elphaba ()
Date: November 16, 2006 12:39AM

Thanks for all the replies!

I am still 100% raw right now because wiggle room only encourages me to wiggle as much as I can (just my own personal limitations) and I am not ready to try less, at this point. I was just asking to see if I could use up the frozen vegetables I have in my freezer or if I should give them away.

It looks like someone is in for some yummy frozen veggies...

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 16, 2006 01:29AM

I say eat them yourself. They are not that bad. But don't repurchase.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 16, 2006 02:28AM

Frozen veggies are definately cooked - I worked in a frozen pea factory for a summer. Don't eat 'em! Actually, I didn't eat frozen veggies EVER again after working there, it's really gross, all sorts of random stuff ends up in the bins. Also, is that frozen food, erm, "fresh"? No, it's several years old, frozen food companies buffer against bad years at the farm by stock piling around 3 years worth of frozen goods. So the frozen food you buy today, was harvested at least three years ago.

Bottom line, even if you want to eat cooked veggies, stay away from commercial frozen foods.

Ian.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2006 02:56AM

hmmmm..I would buy fresh instead

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 17, 2006 08:00AM

store bought frozen vegetables are BLANCHED before freezing so they will retain there brilliant color - Blanched means they are immersed in boiling water.. So they are COOKED! Yes - EVEN ORGANIC VEGGIES.

I have confirmed this with several manufacturers of ORGANIC frozen vegetables.

Fresh vegetables are best. Grow them yourself! Eat wild dandelions with a smile!

From my research, FROZEN fruits are raw, since they are not blanched, since they generally have a higher sugar content, and do not loose their color.

That being said, frozen fruit or any frozen foods are not optimal, and should be only a small part of a raw food diet.

90% raw should be from fresh fruits and vegetables. 10% should be everything else, nuts, seeds, frozen fruits, etc..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables