Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

2 months
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:43PM

I am approaching about the 2 month mark since trying vegan. A nutritionist was on the radio talking about this. This is about the time that an energized person following a particular 'diet' will revert back to whatever is the predominate pattern of food consumption in the area.

I was skeptical of that, but my partner pointed out that he is getting tired of going to the three places that have unrefined vegan foods. Its also surprisingly expensive. I suppose that it really costs a lot to print 'vegan'on packaging. well, anything to suggest to keep things fresh, and not tiring? I am finding it difficult

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 months
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:15PM

There is no 'vegan' on a bag of garbanzos, brown rice, and head of kale, is there? In other words, if you are buying packages of stuff, they are prepared foods and I look at them as "healthy" junk food. A step above but still in that ballpark.

I say, as I nibble on some Red Hot Blues blue corn chips...winking smiley LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:19PM

I think this might be like quitting smoking or coffee or whatever... you get to the hump and either you make it over by sheer force of will and knowing that it's gonna pass if you tough it out or you give in and end up right back at square one.
So ask yourself this: how important were these past two months to you? Do you feel like they were valuable enough as a stand alone to revert to past behavior now? Do you feel like it was a trial that you'll have to repeat again and again until you can get past this point? Or was it a valuable investment that you're not willing to lose to old habits?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 02, 2013 10:22PM

I wanted to clarify that if a person wants to go vegan, it's better (IMO, of course) to prepare the foods yourself and cook stuff rather than eat frozen and boxed vegan foods, as well as go to restaurants.

I was vegan for about six months as an experiment. It was very easy except for the honey, surprisingly. And that was due to buying those seed and nut bars with honey (like honey brittle).

My feeling is that if you eat vegan with lots of prepared foods, it's much easier to lapse into SAD because there may be hidden MSG, plus even refined flours and sugars (albeit organic) and that might be too similar to SAD whereas if you were eating very clean (making your own foods, eating high-raw, etc.) you would feel that you were really changing much more.

I think another question to ask is why you want to be a vegan. I am not suggesting that it's hard to imagine why someone would do it, but I am always interested in the reasons because they point to how committed a person will be. If they feel like they are doing it for a reason that is not their own (to please someone else, for example) or due to perfectionism, then it will be hard to accomplish because the resistence will be so great. But if you have a clear vision and reason for going vegan, then it should be a piece of cake.

Er...make that a RAW carrot cake.winking smiley (I can be so corny sometimes...)

Date: September 03, 2013 10:08PM

Banana who,
Corny is great! I never thought of those things, but it makes sense. For the last two months, I had some processed food I think 4 times. Once was because a package wasn;t immediately clear about the contents. Most products are whole foods, but suddenly they had one product which wasn't, and it was not immediately visible. Until I opened the package.

Another time I new before hand, but my partner encouraged me to try some. Once a product also had some dairy, but didn't know when I sampled the product at a table. That stuff does taste different, and strange when one hasn't had it for awhile. i honestly don't think i will ever enjoy the taste ever again.

I found Micheal Gregers series "nutritional facts.org" a big source of inspiration for trying vegan. The main focus is nutritional and medical, but there is ethical stuff. But its not over the top for me.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 04, 2013 01:49AM

Hi Mislu, Congrats on making it this far. I agree with banana who regarding the question on why you want to be vegan.

I did it for my health. Others do it for animal rights reasons, etc. If I hadn't have had to do it for my health, I would still be eating Gung Pao Beef, Fried Chicken, authentic Pizza, Croisants, etc.

I remember when I first went vegan, I dreamed that I ate Fried Chicken when I knew I wasn't supposed to. I felt sooo guilty. Then I woke up and I was so relieved! I recently had a dream wherein I ate gluten with a similar relief when I woke up. LOL

I agree that taste buds change on vegan. I accidentally got a sliver of chicken in a veggie dish that I didn't know was there and I when I bit into it, it tasted like death! I had to quickly spit it out and rinse my mouth out. My system even notices hidden dairy/butter.

Anyhow, the tool that helped convince me the most to go and stay vegan was Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book, "Eat to Live." I had read other books but it wasn't really until this one that I had enough evidence to support the dietary change. I concentrated on the fact that animal products have no dietary fiber and are highly glycemic.

Good luck! Therese

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: September 04, 2013 05:53AM

How is it possible for a person living in the city to be an ethical vegan when everything they consume is owned by non vegans, grown by non vegans, transported by non vegans, wholesaled by non-vegans, transported to non vegan retailers, and then sold in shops by non vegans? All they are doing is supporting the non-vegans 100% financially, unless everything they consume is supported by a whole chain of vegans from growing and owning, right down to the retail outlet.

There is nothing wrong with people being ethical vegans, but spare us the self righteousness.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 04, 2013 11:03AM

It's helpful BJ if you indicate to whom you are speaking so your comments can be identified with regard to what they are about in particular.

The definition of vegan is from Donald Watson who originally made up the term:

"Veganism"denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.

As far as is possible and practical. You can certainly live in a big city, or anywhere else, and still be an ethical vegan. It's not all or nothing, it's all you can do.

Date: September 05, 2013 06:31PM

BJ, I suppose I am an experimental vegan, or a nutritional vegan. I haven't done much other than eliminate dairy and meat from the diet. I try to eat whole foods. I know some have eliminated products that are not so immediately obvious as coming from animals, or that has done harm. Something about some steel products, perhaps some flour products which indirectly require some animal power or products to make. Thats what I think of ethical vegans. I don't expect anyone else to become vegan as a result of me trying a different way of living. So, I don't think I am self righteous. I would say curious, adventureous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables