Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone in your family vegetarian or vegan?
Date: September 19, 2013 11:27AM

No-one in my family has ever been vegetarian and most don't even know what it is, and the word vegan means nothing to them. Very few of them had ever heard of sprouts or wheatgrass either before l got into it, and they think it is funny that l would eat sprouts and grasses and not eat meat.

I had an old bunch of family in their 80's come to my place once and they were confronted with trays of sprouts and grasses and they were stunned and couldn't believe their eyes, and they couldn't comprehend anyone would eat that type of stuff.

My family think it's hilarious what l do, and everyone in the entire immediate and extended family has always eaten meat and dairy.

Any vegetarians/vegans in your family? What do they think of the way you eat?

www.thesproutarian.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone in your family vegetarian or vegan?
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:41PM

I come from a meat-dairy-sugar eating family but I'm a vegetarian since many years so my family got used to it. One of my brothers is vegetarian too, and a nephew ... so were my late sister and her husband - might be rampant in our genes lol !

At times the four of us would be sitting at the familial table with the carnivorous gang - there was plenty of everything so it was easy to pick up only vegetarian soups, cheese, salads, cooked veggies, bread, etc. at familial gatherings.

So you see the rest of them has no choice to adapt (except my father - he didn't accept the fact that one can live without meat and be doing differently).
My late mother would always care to have some vegetarian dishes for me... (eg lentil soups, pastas...).

Being vegetarian is now alright so to say - vegetarian food is available and publicized everywhere in magazines as healthy alternatives to meat. Restaurants propose it on their menus. Juice bars are everywhere and healthy eating is trendy.

Rawfoodism is another kind of beast, the big unknown - few have heard about it except in closed circles. And breatharianism is inconceivable - something one reads in books about saints or yogis.

All this takes time to be accepted -

Love and blessings
Cynthia

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 19, 2013 10:20PM

nope

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: September 20, 2013 01:04AM

nice rambling TSM

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:38AM

hilton hotema

makes me smile

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 22, 2013 09:36PM

My sisters have been vegetarian on and off for years. One more consistently for years. but she started smoking, why I dont know...

Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:16PM

I hate these two words, actually. "Vegetarian" and "Vegan" does not mean healthy or "healthier" in any way. For example, you could be on a "flour diet" and still be Vegan.

I have two junk-food vegetarians in my family. They are overweight and sick. There was three but one of them died in her sleep at age 65.

My sister is one of them. She eats anything long as it doesn't have meat. I don't call her a Vegetarian, she is on a "no meat diet". Her son grew up on LOTS crackers and cooked vegetables. Bless them both.

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:12PM

Since most people go vegan because of health issues I always feel like saying "My sympathies" whenever anyone say they're going vegan. For raw vegans, they have my deepest condolences.

I hope and pray none of my children come to me one day and say they're going vegan or (aaaahhh!!) raw vegan.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 01, 2013 11:58PM

My husband is vegan (I am so lucky!!!!!!!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables