Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Going back on fruit only!!
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 19, 2006 05:22AM

Fruit simplifies everything.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been lying in bed, bloated and not feeling well, hidden in my own world, away from everything , trying to digest.

All because of these raw food complicated recipes, binges the past few days..and I find myself having to buy more things, oils, salts and my life as well has become just cluttered.
My kitchen is a mess, I am too bloated to clean.
I also feel really bad.I have disappeared, cancelled appointments, made excuses, rejected love.

I have felt bad for days.

I need to get back on the fruit and stay on it. Simplify. Greens are ok if I throw them in smoothies, but no big salads..

I say, Oh I will have just fruit and cacao. well, it just makes fruit not taste good, nothing tastes good on cacao. and I crave odd things\then, coffee, wasabi peas, salt, etc..salads and raw food.

I am so dehydrated most of the time I cannot sleep. I sleep in until 1 pm.

I need to get back on the fruit and clean out my entire system and life. I need to purify everything.

I need to live my life my way, rather than someone raw charming me on Youtube or thru a pretty girl with DVDs..I need to live my life my way AND NOT thru another person .. !

Who is to say this person is happy, promoting cacao as a cure for everything?, promoting nut patty recipes as happy times?
They could be miserable, missing something like everyone else, kind of, is, looking for a way out..

Maybe their lives are webs of complications and more brain clutter.

Well, I want to live simply, I want to be beautiful, period, I want to charm and be sexy, always..

I am going to try it. Now I got all this stuff to throw out, lol. I want to get backon track. When I first went fruitarian, everything skyrocketed into perfection/ perfect inner beauty and joy.. and I SURPASSED some of my lifelong goals in a few months. this is after being raw 4 years.

My thoughts crystallize into reality as they are so powerful, being good enough to eat.

My new pet rats are such happy creatures now. They eat everything I give them, Goji berries, fruit and aloe roll ups, marinated greens, dehydrated leftovers..they actually can climb the walls of their cage.

//

Today I ate at Hippocrates Health Institute. They had a sprout and salad bar. It was really bland tasting, and they didn't use any salt or spices in dressing. I sprinkled some blended garlic and when I bit into it , I cried, worse than wasabi, worse than hot sauce. I am still very ill. My lips parched despite overdrinking water .

The Box by Matt Amsden made me feel really bad the next few days after I ate it,although it was a treat..while eating it//

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2006 05:27AM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going back on fruit only!!
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 19, 2006 05:47AM

Hi CC,
Sorry that you feel so bad. I'm still transitioning but it was a bit surprising that when I didn't have any fruit in my packed lunch for work (I was out and didn't have time to go to the store), I really craved it. A friend gave me an organic pear out of the blue and when I ate it, I was very satisfied. I tried 100% raw vegan in the beginnning of Raw (2 yrs ago) but my body was detoxing too fast and I had to modify it. I'm finding now that my body is craving more raw fruits than ever before. Very interesting.

Good luck on your quest. It sounds like you're very determined and will achieve your goal.

Best regards,
Therese

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 19, 2006 06:03AM

Its possible to enjoy greens without fat or salad dressing. Celery and romaine taste great by themselves, if you can find ones that are sweet rather than bitter.

It is also possible to make salad dressings that don't have fat in them. Sometimes I blend strawberries and pour it over thinly sliced celery. Or I make a salsa of tomatoes, tomatillos, bells, & cilantro poured over thinly sliced celery (this ends up more of a soup & salad).

Another favorite is a banana date burrito, which is a banana and some dates wrapped in a romaine leaf.

A raw version of "ants on a log": a stick of celery, with pieces of date pressed inside the center of the rib.

Date: November 19, 2006 06:05AM

Most long term raw folk I know started with the raw gourmet foods, the combo-a-bombos, and ate them until they got tired of them, when their bodies eventually rejected that food. It sounds like you are getting close to this state.

Welcome to the next level smiling smiley

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: November 19, 2006 06:25AM

You can do it! Best wishes to a fast and happy recovery.

Thomas

Date: November 19, 2006 06:39AM

Thank you angels

Posted by: Rainbow ()
Date: November 19, 2006 07:25AM

Hi Coconutcream,

I feel you!! For I was in that state two weeks ago. I was bloated and could not digest things I ate. Now I cut out nuts, salit and oil and eat fruits during the day and salad in the evening.

Just after 3 days of new diet, I do not feel bloat at all. I feel so great..

We have to eat raw in the right balance way. I believe you are on the way..

The real truth must be the simplest one..

power and blessing to you!

Posted by: jimmyjoe ()
Date: November 19, 2006 08:16AM

alright i know everyone here doesn't like me, but after reading your post coconutcream i HAVE to chime in haha. i totally agree with you about DOING YOUR OWN THING!!! this is what totally messed me up in the beginning, i kept reading everyone's "warning" about eating too much fruit, and just about everything else. there was nothing to eat left?!?!?! i need to do whats best for ME, not anyone else, and that for me was eating a fruitarian, raw diet, with few greens and no nuts.

do whats best for YOU!!! always!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: November 19, 2006 02:31PM

Hi, CC!

This is Julie from Kveta's FruitRevolution.

Hey, I loved your note, sistah, and I totally get it. Same experience for me, becoming dark and reclusive after eating junk. It is so NOT worth it!

You know what to do, you've done it before.

Here's what I'm having today: sweet orange juice early, then I'm going to make some fresh grape juice that looks a beautiful purple color (euphoria!), and for dinner I'm going to mash some bananas into a liquid with my hands and make a date liquid with dates and water (also worked with hands) and drizzle the date syrup over the banana liquid. It is to die for!

Way better than that old dry, salty stuff that poisons your body and your mind!

Oh, and I also will probably chew on some celery for the refreshing green healing liquid.

You will be feeling beautiful and happy and sexy in no time!

Yeah, it took me about a million times falling off the wagon and foraying into "the other" to really get it how nauseating and depressing and dehydrating it all is. Ugh.

Once you've felt the high/love/purity/beauty/joy, nothing else will do.

smiling smiley

Much love to you,
Julie

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: November 19, 2006 02:54PM

Hello!

I understand how you feel. I feel the best on fruits only. I feel it is truely the way we are meant to eat. When I used to eat that "gourmet" raw food I felt sick, tired, dehydrated, and all the salt and spices in it left me with the worst cooked food cravings. On all fruit I feel totally at peace and satisfied.

I also have pet rats. They are also raw vegans!! I'm hoping that because of their organic raw vegan diet they will live much longer than rats usually do. I just love them. They are so cute. Their favorite food is mango, just like me!!!

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2006 04:59PM

cc:Fruit simplifies everything.

elconfused smileyimplifying is a key to long term success. Gourmet is not.Too many nuts and seeds in gourmet.
----------------------------------------------------------------
cc:I cannot tell you how many times I have been lying in bed, bloated and not feeling well, hidden in my own world, away from everything , trying to digest.

All because of these raw food complicated recipes, binges the past few days..and I find myself having to buy more things, oils, salts and my life as well has become just cluttered. My kitchen is a mess, I am too bloated to clean. I also feel really bad.I have disappeared, cancelled appointments, made excuses, rejected love. I have felt bad for days.

el:No it's not fun to eat wrong even can happen on raw foods. Good that the shock of it has turned you to honesty, and hope and not giving up. Most people where you are now will say raw foods don't work for me and will quit. Good that you are getting back up to seek, find, and walk in proper balance that is beyond expectation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
cc:I need to get back on the fruit and stay on it. Simplify. Greens are ok if I throw them in smoothies, but no big salads..
I say, Oh I will have just fruit and cacao. well, it just makes fruit not taste good, nothing tastes good on cacao. and I crave odd things\then, coffee, wasabi peas, salt, etc..salads and raw food.

el:not too many ingredients in salads.Keep the size balanced to you and your activity level. Not too much fat. Juice greens and add them to other palatable juices.
cc:I am so dehydrated most of the time I cannot sleep. I sleep in until 1 pm.

el:read the book your body's many cries for water. I start the day with lots of liquids.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cc:I need to get back on the fruit and clean out my entire system and life. I need to purify everything.

I need to live my life my way, rather than someone raw charming me on Youtube or thru a pretty girl with DVDs..I need to live my life my way AND NOT thru another person .. !

el: excellent revelation and attitude.Most people never figure that out and if they do, wont do anything about it. Make it happen. Looking at your pictures I saw that you needed to follow yourself and not others. Very good that it took only day for you to see it too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cc:Who is to say this person is happy, promoting cacao as a cure for everything?, promoting nut patty recipes as happy times?
They could be miserable, missing something like everyone else, kind of, is, looking for a way out..

Maybe their lives are webs of complications and more brain clutter.

Well, I want to live simply, I want to be beautiful, period, I want to charm and be sexy, always..

el: exactly right. Keep going, you can have what your looking for. I will never take any money for giving out raw food info.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cc:I am going to try it. Now I got all this stuff to throw out, lol. I want to get backon track. When I first went fruitarian, everything skyrocketed into perfection/ perfect inner beauty and joy.. and I SURPASSED some of my lifelong goals in a few months. this is after being raw 4 years.

My thoughts crystallize into reality as they are so powerful, being good enough to eat.

My new pet rats are such happy creatures now. They eat everything I give them, Goji berries, fruit and aloe roll ups, marinated greens, dehydrated leftovers..they actually can climb the walls of their cage.

el: dont try, do it!

cc:Today I ate at Hippocrates Health Institute. They had a sprout and salad bar. It was really bland tasting, and they didn't use any salt or spices in dressing. I sprinkled some blended garlic and when I bit into it , I cried, worse than wasabi, worse than hot sauce. I am still very ill. My lips parched despite overdrinking water .

eL: Nothing needs to be bland in the way of HHI (AW) or NH, I don't go by either of them. Get up brush yourself off and head for higher ground.

cc:The Box by Matt Amsden made me feel really bad the next few days after I ate
it,although it was a treat..while eating

el:when I saw the pictures of the box I knew you where in for trouble.Can you learn and move on now?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm over here with my megaphone on the sidelines chearing- go cc go, go cc go, go cc go, LOL i'm right in front of you come on and run!

elnatural

Posted by: Rainbow ()
Date: November 19, 2006 05:26PM

So many great response post! I am happy these posts can be here.
I was almost at verge of giving up raw...then i saw someone in another forum talking about how low-fat diet helped her walking out of valley. I just tried it and it works for me.
thanks for message here.
blessing

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 19, 2006 09:15PM

I think it would be a shame if you dumped greens. People eat them for what they have to offer: a lot of minerals, comparatively speaking, and good protein. There aren't any other raw food equivalents.

I can't see how I can meet my needs (protein, minerals mainly) without incoporating lots of them, typically 1-1.5 lbs per day.

But it's important to start slowly, gradually increasing your intake.

I remember the first time I ate an entire bunch of spinach. It was about 16 years ago. I had intense GI distress with cramping and bloating and I was in bed for about 6 hours with pain. It was horrible.

But now, I can eat twice as much in one sitting, no prob! Plus lots of other milder greens (lettuces) at the same time.

A little bit, several times a day, will help. If you don't want any bloating you might have to keep it down to no more than 1/2 cup per smoothie.

Maybe in a few weeks you will have the want to give it another go.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 19, 2006 11:23PM

I can completely relate too! I too feel way much better on fruit. Last weekend I tried several recipes, and made some of my own. It was great fun (my kids appreciated that), but way too heavy and dehydrating for me. For the sake of following some recipe, I even used some sea salt in one of them, but found it yuck. This morning I am enjoying so much the sweet, juicy oranges. They beat any gourmet recipe by far.

As far as greens, I eat them only when they appeal to me and only the type that taste yummy. I do not believe in the idea of force-feeding oneself for the sake of any intelectual arguments. I do believe in the idea that my body's senses are the natural indicator of what my body needs. I can eat what I love, phew!

coconutcream, fruit are the door to perception of what the raw diet is really about. Go for it! And, all the best!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: November 20, 2006 02:53AM

You guys are so awesome, I could write here for hours in this board..

I am not dumping greens, I can throw a little in my smoothies, its just the big salads ..well they lead to other stuff and I get full and need a day to digest..

I have a background in fruitarianism so I may be more sensitive than other people..

thank you everybody , I am doing better and feeling happier very excited and wanting to travel, looking at Stockholm tickets, Paris..
I want to see it all.

I do, and I want to love myself most of all.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 20, 2006 08:52PM

Coconutcream,

I sense that you were too hard on yourself. You sounded a lot like me when my mainly fruitarian diet wasn't working. I was hungry and then did what you call "binge" eat. What you need to ask yourself is why did I go and experiment with a nut patty? Was I hungry? Was the current diet not leaving me satisfied? What is your body trying to tell you. So with that, I wish you all of the health in the world. And be good to yourself, don't beat yourself up by every mistake that you think you made. If a person truely liked themself, then they would even like themselves through "mistakes." I have been saying to myself lately that I am o.k. with me, and it's going to be a good day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 08:54PM by shep252.

Date: November 20, 2006 08:59PM

umm maybe,

but when I was eating raw vegan high greens for 5 years I would binge on cooked food too, bad stuff, so I can't say just because I binge it means Ilack something, no it means, I wanna pig out like I used to for all my life before raw...

Sometimes I do, I start salivated for chinese food and stuff, wonton soup and fried rice..doesn't mean I am missing any minerals chinese food has..

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 20, 2006 09:10PM

I hear ya! It is difficult sometimes. It was especially hard on myself because my husband and family ate that stuff while I was 100% raw. I remember being so hard on myself for slipping, then feeling bloated. Then I crashed on the fruitarian diet and was diagnosed with acidosis which I never had before. Could have been the citrus fruits and grapes I ate a lot of from the supermarket. I thought I was getting all of my minerals. But I think it sounds good that you will incorporate some greens with your smoothies. I hear that is suppose to curb cravings. I wish you all the best, and have fun traveling! I hope you have a good day. This song helped me recooperate from a lot of mistakes I thought I made. Nothing to do with raw but.... [www.youtube.com]
It's actually a music video.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 21, 2006 02:20AM

How come you feel better when you are on fruit then on greens?

Do you ever worry about your calcium intake? (obviously not if you feel really good on fruits)

how about your teeth?

How does eating only fruits work? I mean, I understand you only eat fruit, but how do you get all the nutrients you need on only fruit?

How does one not get bloated eating all the sugar that comes with fruit?

I'm just really curious because I want to feel the best I can.

Why do people choose fruit?
Date: November 21, 2006 04:02AM

Why do people choose fruit? Especially when there are so many yummy dishes that are made with greens and vegetables that taste so good (in fact, as good or better than their cooked counterparts)?

The reason I like fruit it because it tastes good just by itself, with no additional foods added to it. I don't need to add salt or spices to make my fruit taste good.

If you really want to have an experience of what food tastes like, and discovering for yourself what foods your body likes and thrives on, try this experiment for 3 months. Eliminate all spices and condiments from your diet, and eat only fresh produce - whole, ripe, raw, organic fresh produce. This means eliminate salt, sweeteners, vinegar, miso, tamari, nama shoyu, garlic, onions, strong herbs, chilis, and products that contain these or any spices in them. Just eat any fresh produce you can find, minus garlic, onions, herbs, and fresh spices.

Now that all the artificial flavorings are out of the diet, see what foods taste good in their natural, unassisted state. Once you find the foods that taste good, eat those until you are full. Without the over-stimulation that spices and condiments provide, your sense of taste becomes a good indicator as to what foods are good for you. One warning: for the first few days, without the stimulation of salt, spices, and condiments, foods may taste plain or boring or even be tasteless for a while. But after eating only plain foods for a while, your taste buds will be able to taste the natural, untainted flavors that are in fresh produce.

See what foods you are drawn to, which foods fill you up and keep your energy up. My guess is people won't be drawn to eating 10 pounds of kale a day.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 21, 2006 05:13AM

>>I remember the first time I ate an entire bunch of spinach. It was about 16 years ago. I had intense GI distress with cramping and bloating and I was in bed for about 6 hours with pain. It was horrible.

But now, I can eat twice as much in one sitting, no prob! Plus lots of other milder greens (lettuces) at the same time.
<<

arugula, thats good to hear. i had a similar experience with too much spinach (and other ingredients). i was in a fetal position for a few hours, lol. nice to know you can overcome this and increase your greens by so much over time.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: November 21, 2006 07:43AM

I have gotten off condiments all but entirely and I definitely find that fruit often seems the best tasting food of them all!

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: November 21, 2006 01:18PM

Spices... I still use spices. I love to work with spices in food; truthfully I do not foresee myself ever ending their use.

I love using them in salad dressings and the like.

I've often said to myself "give me a girl that will eat una buena salsa ranchera" (a good salsa ranchera-style) "and then will kiss me after, and I'll marry her!"

Baby, spices -talk about vibrance and life- are little kisses from God!

Have a fulfilling day,

Arilraw

Posted by: wild-aloe ()
Date: November 21, 2006 10:24PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes I do, I start salivating for chinese food
> and stuff, wonton soup and fried rice..doesn't
> mean I am missing any minerals chinese food has..

Yeah, not unless you consider MSG to be a mineral.

Re: Why do people choose fruit?
Date: November 21, 2006 10:58PM

Bryan Wrote:
------
> This means eliminate salt, sweeteners, vinegar,

But most vinegars are fermented fruit. I don't see why
anyone would object to them. Used as most people use them,
they are nutritionally very similar to equal quantities of
lemon or lime juice.

> miso, tamari, nama shoyu, garlic, onions,

What's wrong with garlic and onions?

> herbs, chilis,

Chilis are fruit also.

> My guess is people
> won't be drawn to eating 10 pounds of kale a day.

No, but I am drawn to eating a 1/2 to 1 lb of romaine
a day. If I miss a day it doesn't feel right, and I
start to crave it.

Re: Why do people choose fruit?
Date: November 22, 2006 12:10AM

arugula,

If you were picking figs, and ran into a fermented one, one that smelled a bit like vinegar, would you be happy to eat it? If you are picking tomatoes and eating them, and you bit into one that is rotten, what is your first reaction. Vinegar is made from rotting foods. A by-product of this rotting is acetic acid, which is toxic to your body. When food contains acetic acid, this irritates the digestive system in a way that it does not fully absorb the nutrition of the foods that are mixed with the acetic acid.

If a food is mixed with lemon or lime, the body does not have this same reaction. Yes, both of these foods are acidic, but acetic acid is poisonous.

As for garlic and onions, both of these food are considered medicinal by most herbalist. They are known for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Given its antibiotic qualities, it also kills human cells.

Chilies are also an irritant, like the vinegar. And like the vinegar, foods are not fully absorbed when they are mixed with chilis. While this is fine for people eating a SAD diet, or someone who is chronically overeating, for people who are eating fresh organic produce and spending a lot of money on that food, this is a waste of money.

If these spices and condiments help you stay raw, by all means, eat your condiments. But if you want to have an experience of what eating raw is like with your body guiding your without the interference of condiments, without artificial flavorings or external flavorings, and really getting in touch with your foods. this is an easy way to have that experience.

This reminds me of makeup, which is so prevalent in our society. Makeup can make a woman with sickly skin look healthy and radiant, covering up dark circles under the eyes, sun damaged skin, acne, etc. There are some people who require that their partners wear makeup, as they can't stand the truth.

Spices and condiments also hide the true flavors of foods. They allow a person to eat something their body would normally reject. I've seen dogs eat rice, which normally they wouldn't even think to eat, when the rice is sprinkled with tamari. It is certainly possible to make cardboard or sawdust taste good given the right mix of spices, sweeteners, and added fats.

Date: November 22, 2006 12:25AM

But wine that has gone bad makes vinegar, and this can be mouth watering in salads.

>a by-product of this rotting is acetic acid, which is toxic to your body. When food contains acetic acid, this irritates

Bacterial fermentation of soluble fibers from fruits, nuts, seeds, and vegetables in the hindgut (long intestine) produces short chain fatty acids, including acetic acid, among others. This is a healthy and natural process.

In the very high fiber diet, kcal uptake might result in significant energy intake to the host from this natural fermentation. In populations that take in 90g per day of dietary fiber or more, the total energy contribution from short-chain fatty acid production might be 10% or more of their total energy intake.

In the very low fiber diet, such as the SAD diet, there are problems associated with inadequate production of these short chain fatty acids due to inadequate intakes of soluble fibers (i.e. unrefined plant foods). This can contribute to CHD, diabetes, and certain types of cancers.

Eating it (as in the case of vinegar) rather than producing it skips a few steps. But it is still a relatively healthy thing to do, as it may reduce levels of plasma LDL and triglycerides.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: November 23, 2006 12:04AM

??? I don't find wine mouth watering.

Oh, I have not asked the original question lol! Why do people choose fruit?

For me, the reasons are merely practical. I find fruit the yummiest, the most appealing, the easiest to eat food. Without fruit, I feel hungry, undernourished, dissatisfied. I thrive on fruit, and so I choose fruit, as simple as that.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: November 23, 2006 01:45AM

Vinegar on my salads is mouth-watering. I can drool just from smelling wine vinegar, maybe because of associations with previous foods.

I have tried my salads without it as Bryan suggests and they aren't nearly as tasty or drool inducing. I probably would not eat as many leaves (3-10% of my diet usually, more narrowly 5-7%) if I did not use vinegar. 15 g has only 3 kcal so by itself it is not making an appreciable impact in my vitamin or mineral intake. But it does help me to incorporate more of the vitamin and mineral rich foods.

Date: November 23, 2006 02:52AM

Did you try eating vinegar on its own?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables