Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why do some fruitarians get problem with digestion?
Posted by: Brand new heart ()
Date: November 19, 2006 03:06PM

Hello,

Why do some people's digestive system become weak and have difficulties digesting fruit and/or protein foods?

Thanks,
Robin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do some fruitarians get problem with digestion?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 19, 2006 03:19PM

Where have you heard that?

Date: November 19, 2006 03:37PM

From this site! [www.living-foods.com]

"I was a fruitarian for year(s), and now my digestive system is extremely weak; I eat food but have real difficulty digesting it. Help! An alternate, but equal form of this question: I was a fruitarian for year(s), and now I find that I cannot digest raw protein foods like seeds & nuts. Help! - very common complaint among former fruitarians"

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 20, 2006 02:49AM

well, once I went fruitarian it is impossible fo rme to even eat raw nut patty recipes, without getting sick, , I think once you go pure you can't go back without your body saying nooooo

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 20, 2006 04:17AM

Maybe this is gut flora thing. Just like with milk, if you don't have the little beasties in your tummy to deal with lactos. If your are not eating nuts of a regular basis, the things that break them down are not present so you have a hard time with them.

Nothing scientific and I don't have any references or such, just a throught.

Ian.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: November 20, 2006 05:28PM

Coconutcream is right. It has nothing to do with weakened digestion. It has to do with nuts and seeds being less optimal foods than fruits and tender greens are. They are simply difficult to digest. I spend a lot of time on different raw forums and lots of people report that they find nuts and seeds more difficult to digest, not just fruitarians. Once you have been eating simply and purely for awhile, you will notice it a lot more when you eat food that is more difficult to digest.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 20, 2006 06:04PM

The fruitarian diet is not safe. It does not supply every essential nutrient.

It is essential to soak most nuts and seeds. They contain enzyme inhibitors which make them difficult to digest. Soaking them removes the enzyme inhibitors and makes them easy to digest.

Hemp seeds do not have enzyme inhibitors and do not need to be soaked.

The high fat nuts such as Macadamia nuts, pine nuts, and brazil nuts do not need to be soaked.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 20, 2006 06:37PM

My experience / opinion:

-After eating only fruit for the past few years....I am the healthiest guy I know....but then again...eating is not the only facet of my life that facilitates this. Sunlight...fresh air....joyful living...acceptance.....all play a strong part.

-The hidden element - of course - is to consciously choose and be joyful in one's diet. And the above comments are certainly correct (as far as the system being less tolerant of less than optimal foods).

-It's cliche...but everyone has THEIR path of what THEY think is better to follow. No one can help with THAT work! Ha! ha! Maslow called that high level 'self-actualization' I believe.

-David Z. Mason

Date: November 20, 2006 06:38PM

Oh: And if you think eating more fruit is healthy for you...you should try it and see how you feel and report back. Don't believe too much hype one way or another. Just my opinions.

David Z. Mason

Date: November 20, 2006 07:24PM

I'm with you coconutcream.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 20, 2006 08:04PM

Actually your body gets STRONGER on a fruit-lifestyle so that when it gets something that's really not belongs in your tummy, it say: NOOOOOOOoooo.....

Just a wild gess... What do you think?

Date: November 20, 2006 09:12PM

We all need to stick together, we are not that different from each other.

People tell me the raw food diet is dangerous, and I need cooked food..all the time..
people ask me where I get my proetin and I say..sigh, from breathing..and then they laugh at me...
I don't have the answer, I just know I am happiest.

there is always gonna be a person or a website that disagrees with everything you believe..

How can anything be dangerous, here in this lifestyle, We are not talking about eating cooked food here.

People fast on water for months and do 92 day juice fasts and feel great. I know people fast 6 months on cantaloupe and look hot...feel optimal. We all know people like that.

If I decide I want a salad I have one, but I can't everyday.. I eat very little and mono, I feel free and pure and simple..I am not a nazi about anything, or if I want to add greens to a smoothie, no big deal..

I was reading Hippocrates glossy handout page on Raw food and they say raw foodists eat 60% sprouts and 40% greens,, YEAH!! right!! can you see my energy then? I would be so dull and boring if that is all I eat..I like to party , eat durian, sweet stuff and be sweet..

so you see, every one is different..

PS Hemp seeds I think are better to eat then most nuts, easier on the system..
I say if things don't go perfect..then things are not in alignment..with our true selves..

when things are difficult, it means you are not in the right track...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 09:16PM by coconutcream.

Date: November 20, 2006 09:13PM

I think it goes hand in hand with all logic.

Mike, can you know that when you're clean inside and living a joyful life with adequate excercise you're not getting enough nutrients from fruit? I'd like to research more on this. Various sources, e.g. "Consious eating", reports that vitamins and minerals have a special relation to each other. One can decrease the uptake of the other and vice versa. When you're "clogged" less area in your intestinals will be absorbing the nutrients.

Also I've read, I think it was on this site, that vitamins are destroyed and minerals go back to a state which the body cannot absorb when you're eating treated/heated food. Can this be the reason why so called optimal amount of certain nutrients you should eat per day vary so much in reports? Who know how much cooked food effects your body in this aspect??

If the RDA values are for everyone, raw food eater or not, David Mason should be dead by now and his ghost would be writing things here winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 09:15PM by Brand new heart.

Date: November 20, 2006 09:23PM

Any guy/girl in the world doctor or not, can write a book stating something, could be anything..this is good, this is bad.. and you know what, They just made it up..we all could do our own research to agree with our beliefs..for example , meat /coffee and dairy are good for you studies

Sometimes all one guy does is start a website to spout his beliefs and then it becomes truth for a lot of people..he just made it up!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 21, 2006 07:11AM

Mike,

Its funny that you say that. David eats only fruit and he appears healthy. Same for fruitarianone. I agree its possible to have an unhealthy fruitarian diet. There was a raw foodist named Karen Kellock who only ate tomatoes. Another unhealthy fruitarian diet would be to only eat avocados or only coconuts.

However it is very possible to have quite a bit of variety on a fruitarian diet. There are thousands of kinds of fruits - if you are willing live in a place that grows all those fruits.

If one is unable to live in a place with great fruit, one can compensate by eating 3% to 5% of one's calories from greens. While this is a low percentage, it is 2 pounds of greens. Probably more greens than on a typical "high greens" diet.

Date: November 21, 2006 01:04PM

Sure. Bryan is certainly correct. I have consciously chosen how to eat...through years of transition and observing how my body is reacting to individual foods. I have consciously chosen where to live based on my ability to get fresh air, plenty of sun, and lots of home-grown and local fruits and produce. I live in the middle of thousands of acres of citrus trees...and have a wonderful supply of oranges and tangerines available for about 9 months out of the year...and plenty of other good fruits at other times.

-The missing element in people's lives is not nutrients....but consciousness.....a CHOSEN path (not a compulsive or reactive one). This consciousness is the true life that gives life to ANYTHING we can remotely conceive of as life. And you can GIVE this ultimate consciousness / awareness / attention to ANY part of your life at any time....and watch true genius emerge.

-You have all my support.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 22, 2006 01:23AM

David, you know as well as I do that all the good intentions in the world will not make up for deficiencies. Some people, for example swamis, have amazing control over basic body functions but they have not been shown to have such control at the subcellular level. They still acumulate garbage in their mitochondria and age, for example.

One can still develop strand breaks in the DNA which can lead to cancers when left unchecked, if deficiencies persist even on a raw foods vegan diet.

Date: November 22, 2006 01:45AM

Ha! ha! I hear you. Deficiencies based on who? If YOU feel ok...and feel you are getting the nutrition you need...after years of eating and consciously choosing your diet...then I certainly support you. The proof is in the happiness of and level of support that you carry. If you're good - then I'm happy! smiling smiley

-I think an individual certainly needs to become conscious before you are getting the real nutrition that you need - just not the other way around! LOL.

-And I can only share my experiences, opinions & joy.

-David Z. Mason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2006 01:53AM by davidzanemason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables