Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruitarian ... to be or not to be ... Hhmmm?
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 21, 2006 05:41PM

I adore fruit. It is "nature's candy" ... and so much better than chocolate.

I have always joked even when I was a "cooked" vegan that I am a "fruit bat" or must have been one in a former life. I always used to joke about becoming a fruitarian. This year (my first year eating high raw) I have been seriously considering giving it a try. For years even as a cooked vegan I often ate only fruit until dinner.

Throughout the day I pretty much only have fruit (except very occasionally when I juice dark greens).

It is only for dinner that I eat any other stuff such as large salads etc. And that is really because I am still trying to decide whether I can get away with being healthy long term on only fruit or not. There are so many mixed messages and warnings in the raw food world.

Have any of you been 100% fruitarian for 10 years or more and have been and still are really healthy? I should love to know.

Wild animals surely just choose what they fancy from what is available. Then they eat as much of it as they wish. I cannot help believing that our 'body consciousness' knows exactly what we need at any given time and directs us accordingly ... if we only listen to the whispers.

My body always asks for fruit during the day and has for years. Also it asks for the low sugar fruits with salads for dinner - such a cucumbers and red bell peppers.

The fruit messages fromm my "body consciousness" change as the seasons change and my body asks for different fruits and different times. These past several days ... my body says "give me lots of oranges and mangoes. My body likes to have fruit mainly as mono meals and not to mix the types of fruit.

Also it is saying "I don't like raw cacao". For the past few weeks I have been making a choc avocado pudding approx once per week as a special treat (my one choc / sweet dessert treat for the week really). It is a fun novelty because I am new to making any kind of raw dessert. The last time I had the choc advocado pudding... well my body said "I would have preferred another mango". (In fact I really had wished it was a mango). It was very clear.

I feel something really strange going on in my body when I have the raw cacao. I've pretty much decided that it's not for me. I don't like the way it makes me feel. I much prefer the calm feeling I get from fruit rather than this "buzz" type feeling from the raw cacao.

However, I still believe a little of what you fancy does you good and I am being loving towards myself whilst I am in the transition period. I'm letting my body lead the way and go at its own speed. And I'm trying to hear its whispers to me of what it wants and likes.

I have no goal in mind and don't know where this journey will lead to ... or even if it will lead any where. I'm just trying to enjoy it whilst I travel along it.

However, I do feel intuitively to now start asking you all for info re fruitarianism. What books would you recommend? What comments do you have about it?

Pls share.
Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruitarian ... to be or not to be ... Hhmmm?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 21, 2006 06:54PM

I feel the same way..that my body wants mostly fruits, and when I was high raw I only really liked to get my greens with fresh juice. The first year large salads were hard to digest.

After the first year, I could eat bigger salads and more often. Somehow trying to be high raw again..I have some guilt over just eating fruits..maybe because I went thru a transition to eating more greens..and I'm back to almost square one?

I think I need to just let go..and go with the feeling of eating what I feel like, which is mostly fruits all day.

Love
Prism

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 21, 2006 10:12PM

I've been all-fruit for a couple of years. I think it works quite well for those who transition to it very voluntarily - and make very deliberate, conscious choices that eating that way is right for them. In other words: If it is a joyful and conscious process.

A good book in general is Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens. Morris Krok's books are short but informative. Anyway....you can find most of what you need (in terms of advice and planning) from people who are walking the walk - and who are happy and successful.....and by setting small goals for yourself...keeping them....and getting good personal feedback / experience.

-What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 22, 2006 12:12AM

>Have any of you been 100% fruitarian for 10 years or more and have been and still are really healthy? I should love to know.

You're going to get answers from a self-selected group here. It would be more difficult to find a random sampling including those who failed. You might try searching google for failed fruitarians.

Any time you define a diet by what it omits you increase the chances of deficiencies, i.e. I will eat only fruit, I will eat only red colored foods, I will eat only things that are grown within 100 miles, etc. etc. Beware of rigidity.

Also consider that some people might be cheating occasionally. Nothing wrong with that, as there can be a danger in taking pride in excess purity, if it leads to abnormal behaviors and health problems.

My body craves fruit as well, especially oranges and cranberries at this time of year (no suprise, they are in season and at their peak right now).

But I also crave lettuces and other things to put in my salads. Including greens and a reliable and adequate source of B12 certainly increase the chances of doing a high raw diet successfully.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 23, 2006 07:27AM

I know kveta has been frutiartian for 20 years , you can ask her she has a board.. [fruitrevolution.proboards59.com]
and rejean durette 10

Posted by: ela ()
Date: November 24, 2006 10:35PM

I love how you share the story of your explorations and body listenings, and can relate so well to your story of the cacao/avo pudding and your body preferring another mango. I've had that experience so many times and I think that eventually I'll either have to become part of a rawfood preparation business or just stop doing it: I love and have some talent for making recipes but seldom actually want to eat them smiling smiley

As for 'fruitarian' or not - what an alluring word it is, but it's just another label after all. I think that you're on the right track doing a beautiful job listening to your body, and your body will tell you whether it wants greens and how much it wants.
With appreciation,
love
Ela

Date: December 05, 2006 04:53PM

Many thanks to you all for sharing your advice and thoughts. Sorry that I did not reply sooner, but as you will have discovered from one of my other posts, I have been very busy recently in connection with my brother's cancer diagnosis.

David, yes I read 'Conscious Eating' by Gabriel Cousens at the beginning of this year. Also his book 'Spiritual Nutrition'. I love his books, so very interesting and packed full of useful info. Coming from a spiritual perspective myself, I appreciate his ideas on food and spirituality (as well of course about health etc). I was lucky enough to attend his talk in London (U.K.) a while back. I hold him in great esteem. He seems to be a truly sincere, caring and genuine being.

I have just read on another thread about linking fruitarianism with breatharianism. I find that very, very interesting. Years ago (gosh it might have been 9 yrs or so ago) I attended some workshops / talks by Jashmuheen about breatharianism and how to prepare the body for it and her process. I also read some of her books. I was so very drawn to listening to her and finding out more about her journey ref breatharianism. If I remember correctly what she said - she did herself recommend that people did the raw food (for at least 6 mths I think), then fruitarianism (6 mths I think) and then just juicing only (6 mths I think) before even considering breatharianism. At that time I was eating a very pure, very healthy, wholefood, organic cooked vegan diet. I didn't think I was ready for it (and I still don't think I am). I find it very interesting though.

Anyway, many thanks for your info and sharing. Very appreciated.

John

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 05, 2006 10:27PM

Hi vegan john,

There are various definitions of fruitarianism, from eating sweet fruit only to eating all botanical fruit as well as greens and nuts.

I agree with ela. That is, I think that it is better to follow your body and eat foods that you love rather than trying to fit oneself into some definition. If you eat what you love, you may well find after some time that what you eat falls under some definition anyway.

A struggle is born when we force ourselves to do something we are not ready to do. I prefer spontaneous, effortless, and joyous experience.

Sincerely,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 06, 2006 01:14AM

Well put Gosia and ela!

I have no intention of eating all sweet fruit, or even all fruit and, in my experience, green smoothies are very good for the body and have a medicinal quality to them.

Date: December 06, 2006 03:06PM

Hello tropical and rawgosia,
For me it is not a struggle - I can assure you of that - but rather a very joyful, soul-felt curiosity. I am listening to the whispers of my soul.

I have no idea whether I will try a fruitarian diet or not, but as previously mentioned I felt very guided to start finding out more about the fruitarian diet.

As I said at the beginning of this thread:
"I'm letting my body lead the way and go at its own speed. And I'm trying to hear its whispers to me of what it wants and likes.

I have no goal in mind and don't know where this journey will lead to ... or even if it will lead any where. I'm just trying to enjoy it whilst I travel along it.

However, I do feel intuitively to now start asking you all for info re fruitarianism".

John

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 06, 2006 04:48PM

JUST what IF..what if nobody knew the truth about anything..?

I say just follow your body and what it wants,

Tonight I was having a hard emotional detox stuff, it was awful, feeling bad and feeling ugly. Not ashamed of it. Dwelling in what was happening.

I realized I was craving bad food so bad, just to take me away from that.
I want to physically feel ill to stop facing what spiritually makes me ill..
but you have to face things..feel and work thru.

I did whatever WAS EASY to me, and you know what, I got more out of it, whatever is easy for the body to do and choose\, do

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 07, 2006 04:23AM

...that is the question...

Posted by: Mangolover ()
Date: January 01, 2007 01:53AM

Hi John :-)

Wow your post really resonates with me...I may as well have been reading my own story!

Some good info on high raw is on Dr D's site FoodnSport.com, although he doesn't promote Fruitarianism his approach is very high fruit. 80-10-10 book is ment to be great too.

The seed for my raw journey to start was planted about 5years ago when I bought a Oscar Vitalmax juicer, with the juicer came a book with over 200 living foods recipes. I remember flipping through the book utterly engrossed. Something shifted in me that day although only in the last 4months have I been all raw.

About 5months ago I travelled to the Greek Islands and Turkey, it was amazing but the whole experience was tarnished by what I ate. My diet for the whole 5weeks consisted on huge slabs of fetta on greek salad, loads of dry crusty bread (often old) and roughly about 4 frappes (coffees) a day (although I craved and ate alot of the fresh fruit but I was on the sugar/caffeine merry-go-round). Man did I feel awful!! I gained cellulite, held massive amounts of fluid (I now realise my body was holding the fluid to dilute the toxins from my system) and generally looked and felt s**t!

When I got back I straight away researched more into raw (which I have been on and off for the past couple of years) and went all raw till dinner for a month or so ...then 100% raw with fish still.....then 100% raw vego......followed by 100% raw vegan.....(yes this is all in 4months or so)...finally over the past month I have been eating mostly all fruit till dinner then a salad with maybe avocado.

I have tried several low sugar attempts at reducing candida aswell and high fruit is the only one that has helped. I have experienced such clear thinking and freedom from addictive tendencies. Also my bowel movements don't smell anymore, odourless which is how I believe they should be (hope you don't mind me sharing).

So you can see how I have naturally progressed to high fruit, it honestly just sits well with me....I feel amazing so when I read your post I could totally relate. Maybe it's not the path for everyone but if it feels so good for you then follow your heart and listen to the gentle whispers of your instinct.:-)

Most of all Fruit tastes so damn nice!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables