Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Quinoa sprouts- protein
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: November 24, 2006 04:45PM

What quantity of quinoa sprouts will give me 20g of protein (not sure of that in ounces)? Say, 1 tablespoon of dry quinoa, then sprouted would give me approximately how much protein?

Thanking you....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quinoa sprouts- protein
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2006 07:45PM

Try nutriondata [www.nutritiondata.com]

Date: November 25, 2006 03:43PM

thanks djatchi, i still can't work it out. i'll just see how i go....

Date: November 25, 2006 04:15PM

1 cup (170g) will give you 22g of protein.

Date: November 25, 2006 04:20PM

thanks djatchi, is that dry weight? That's a lot of quinoa for 22g of protein!

Date: November 25, 2006 05:19PM

It is dried weight. Note that quinoa is about 12 to 20 percent protein depending on the type and meat is about 17 percent protein. And the protein in quinoa is a complete protein. [www.quinoa.bigstep.com]
Quinoa does not grow that much when sprouted so the numbers are about right with sprouted quinoa and best the protein is more digestable when sprouted.
I use sprouted quinoa in my green smoothies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2006 05:23PM by djatchi.

Date: November 26, 2006 02:42PM

yes i add spouted quinoa to my smoothies too. I add about 1 tablespoon of sprouts, so I'm not getting that much protein, although it's qualitiy rather than quantity! How much are you adding djatchi?

Date: November 26, 2006 06:28PM

Two to three tablespoons but I do not use them everyday because I use other sprouts such as lentils. Lentils are 28 percent protein. [www.herbsarespecial.com.au]
I use sprouts and indoor greens(sunflower, peas, buckwheat) in my smoothies.

Date: November 27, 2006 05:26PM

i eat a lot of other sprouts too! although some people think that they are not healthy. are sprouted peas nice in a smoothie? i only use quinoa or buckwheat sprouts in smoothies, oh, and sunflower greens sometimes. the other sprouts i eat in salads or other savoury dishes. i make homous too.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: November 27, 2006 06:44PM

I have a question about sprouts.....how can I figure out how much protein there is after sprouting the beans/lentils, etc? Is it still a good amount of protein?

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 28, 2006 10:39AM

I have sprouted Quinoa before, not to get too graphic but it doesn't seem to digest for me. I keep seeing it again for days and days after I eat it.

Anyone else run into this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 10:40AM by jadedshade.

Date: November 29, 2006 10:23PM

One problem with quinoa is that the grain is so small and not all seeds will germinate and it is hard to isolate those and remove them. [www.sproutman.com]
Sproutman doest not promote using quinoa sprouts

Date: November 30, 2006 03:50PM

yes, that's why I blend them. I'm not sure if the ones that don't sprout are not good to eat...

Date: November 30, 2006 05:15PM

Totally agree with you. I still like them sprouted and blended.

Date: November 30, 2006 10:56PM

The quinoa seed (even though thoroughly washed/dried before shipping) still contain a substantial quantity of saponin, incorporated into its externallayer (which may be semi-toxic, relative to some individuals).

Try washing/rinsing the quinoa 1 or 2 more times during the sprouting process. Remember that it takes only hours, not days, to sprout quinoa. If saponin-compatibility is the culprit/problem in your situation, further washing/rinsing (during the first 3 hours) may give you some additional relief.

After the second rinse, I always add a small final quantity of (high quality) water to nurse the seed through their distinct embryo stage, before the embryos become “mature sprouts” (which is a process requiring less than 10-12 hours at room temperature, from start to finish).

I routinely drink this final rinse water because, in my view, the water absorbs an intangible "life-force" from the awakening embryos, which I have found to provide an indispensable energy boost that I would describe as a sort of inter-species, “veggie vampire” nutrition.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:08PM

Yogamama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a question about sprouts.....how can I
> figure out how much protein there is after
> sprouting the beans/lentils, etc? Is it still a
> good amount of protein?

It is a very good question. The data are woefully lacking in the USDA nutrient database, all you can do is look at them and compare equal kcal servings of sprouted vs unsprouted but they don't provide sprout length and some of the amino acid data are still missing. Further, nutrient content changes length of the sprout changes so it's still an unknown.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables