Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question about almonds/milk
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: November 25, 2006 02:17AM

I have really fallen in love with almond milk. I peel my almonds which is a long tedious process... it takes me about an hour to peel about 2 cups! And I ususally finish the milk up in two days ( I like it strong!).

I was wondering if everyone does this? Is there an easier way? I had heard peeling allowed for a much better flavor. I also notice that when I peel my almonds.. I find that there are some that look okay on the outside but don't look too good peeled. I end up discarding quite a few almonds because I feel as if the color is off (too yellowish..too soft, etc.) Should I be worried about my supplier?

I am new to raw foods and have actually never eaten almonds (ever!) until now. So I know nothing about how they are "suppossed" to look and feel. They do taste delicious though in the milk... how do you tell is almonds are bad?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about almonds/milk
Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:33AM

Hi

Flavor is great with the skin..

I love my Almond milk as well and also new to raw foods. I soak my almonds well but I do not peel them. I blend them well and strain well in a cheese cloth..the tasted is wonderful and the color is only a slight brown..but I don't care what color it is. I do make sure I buy good almonds, I can tell a differnce from grocery to grocery. I always buy organic and raw.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2006 03:06PM

Hi,

If you soak the almonds overnight then peeling's simpler. It still takes time but is much quicker than w/o soaking. Like all nuts, you can tell if the almonds aren't good if they have a rancid taste when you bite into them. They should have a crisp, crunchy feel when you bite into them, which then becomes sort of buttery, creamy afterwards....! Almond milk is yummy - but if you don't mind the slightly planty taste, sesame milk is a cheaper alternative. Another, which is also delicious is coconut milk....Enjoy!

Anu

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: November 26, 2006 03:22PM

Minou,

I also love almond milk, but don't peel the almonds. I do what Emmylou does: the color is slightly brown but that's okay with me.

Once in a while I'll peel the almonds for a special dessert. The quickest way I know to do that is to let them soak overnight. Then, instead of peeling the almond with my bare hands, I put the almond in a rough white kitchen towel and pinch and squeeze the skin off the almond using the towel between my fingers and the almond. The skin comes off more easily that way. I haven't timed it, but I think it's quicker than an hour for 2 cups.

The 'traditional' way to peel almonds is to blanch them: Plunge them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Then the skins come off almost by themselves. Of course we don't want to do that as it will cook the almond.

Our raw version of blanching might be to put the almonds in the dehydrator while they're soaking overnight. Perhaps keeping them warm while they're soaking will loosen the skins a bit more. I haven't done this myself. Please let us know if you try this and find it works better.

I love sesame milk, too, and hazelnut milk. And of course coconut! Long live the mighty blender!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2006 06:24PM

I used to peel them but do not do it any more. They are easier to peel if you have soaked them 8 to 12 + hours, and then briefly put them in hot water. The hot water makes the skins come right off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables