Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A forager's gratitude for California Fall
Posted by: ela ()
Date: November 26, 2006 08:28PM

As the leaves turn and fall and the wind sweeps them up into piles, chilling bones as it goes, and the sun's angle lowers and I recall once again that my roots are in the tropics, that months of wearing layers of clothing are here, I feel such gratitude for the late bounty that California offers in consolation.

Melons and figs are gone, but oh, the persimmons! Last week, picking persimmons, I gave myself the gift of eating a tree-ripened hachiya whilst it was still attached to the tree! What a sacrament - blessing the tree beforehand and looking into the November sun. One of the most satisfying things I've ever eaten. And oh, the prickly pears! Harvested a bunch of those out hiking yesterday and the juiciness, the sweetness, the little seeds, the intense color - yes and keep the tweezers handy for those little spines that get on you no matter what... (I keep an old skin brush and give each fruit a good brush on the gravel before handling it.)

As I begin to study the history of fruit growing, I also recognize that the persimmon trees wouldn't be there if not for human cultivation (especially by Japanese immigrants here) and so I feel great gratefulness for them also, and inspiration to continue the delightful play of man earth and tree. And as for the cacti, there's a wildness about them that has a magic all of its own - how a fruit that sweet and that seeded is so protected and autonomous - surely it wants us to eat it nonetheless!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A forager's gratitude for California Fall
Posted by: woodfe ()
Date: November 26, 2006 09:06PM

Beautifully Stated.

Re: A forager's gratitude for California Fall
Posted by: brome ()
Date: November 26, 2006 09:55PM

The wild California grapes growing along the rivers are another fall crop well worth foraging for. I plan to plant some by my house and let them grow into the unused sunlight on my roof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables