Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: sprout diet low in nutrients
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 15, 2014 04:00PM

Wheatgrass juice tastes good?
rofl

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ramanan ()
Date: February 15, 2014 06:17PM

The Sproutarian Man, Would you be able to provide your every day raw sprout , algaes, sea weeds and fruits in take in terms on nutrition such as vitamins, minerals, carb, protein and fat , that would educate me and encourage us (third world low income people) to lean towards sprout diet, even if you can provide the details for a low calorie diet such as 1600 but broke in terms of water soluble and fat soluble vitamins & micro and macro minerals that would be a great help for us.

Date: February 15, 2014 06:45PM

jtprindl, I do eat a diet very similar to Fresh but instead of lettuce , words of Fresh are deep and common to 90% of raw food eaters but it may not work for 10% of the other population, I eat coconut, instead of lettuce , I also want to mention here that Adhisankra and others saints had carried sprouts for long distance travel and survival , I have grown more than 16 fruit trees, correct seasonal yield and saving it from animals is not easy (squirrel and birds find the correct ripe state and eat/taste it before us), I have grown 40 different veggies (including Goji berries) , 5 different berries, pomegranate etc., varieties also but not to the extent of John K, so really Fresh food is not ideal world, but when you sprout you are eating some thing which has real life , yes sprouts have taste, eat them when you are hungry or try to eat two times a day or once a day like Buddhist monk to achieve greater celibacy and control over senses and realize higher Self, if there is no intention of knowing higher Self, every diet has pros and cons and we ignore us for some reason, just we all are going to stick to our diet and it itself is an attachment , philosophically we can live in the sensation and ignore our inner peace and love for others i.e more fundamental than diet, it's up to us ?.

Date: February 15, 2014 09:20PM

ramanan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Sproutarian Man, Would you be able to provide
> your every day raw sprout , algaes, sea weeds and
> fruits in take in terms on nutrition such as
> vitamins, minerals, carb, protein and fat , that
> would educate me and encourage us (third world low
> income people) to lean towards sprout diet, even
> if you can provide the details for a low calorie
> diet such as 1600 but broke in terms of water
> soluble and fat soluble vitamins & micro and macro
> minerals that would be a great help for us.

I can, just give me time to look up these agritcultural studies. Very few studies have been done on sprout nutrition and most are not available online. I'll get back to you. The cronometer is a very inaccurate and dodgy tool so l mainly avoid it.

Date: February 15, 2014 09:49PM

Other interesting sprouts science facts

Sprouting alfalfa increases zinc levels by over 300% and calcium by over 200% (study will be provided to prove this another day, well, at least on my website).

Here is a good study which demonstrates the power of sprouting:

EFFECT OF GERMINATION ON MINERAL BIOAVAILABILITY OF SORGHUM-BASED COMPLEMENTARY FOODS

Tizazu S, Urga K et al

[www.ajol.info]

Summery:

For varieties 76T1#23 and Meko, germination was found to increase significantly (p<0.05) levels of minerals (iron, zinc and calcium). For both varieties, sorghum flour germinated for 48 hours contained highest minerals content while lowest values minerals were recorded for ungerminated sorghum flour.

and

6 is indicative of unfavorable for calcium absorption [7]. All the sorghum flour samples analyzed in this study exhibited calcium: phytate molar ratios less than 6, which indicated that calcium is available for absorption from such diets.

And people might say, but this is a dehydrated analysis and sprouts are more bulky so it will be hard to get as many nutrients. True. But, we still have increased gross levels and we also have chealated minerals due to the amino acids hooking up with the abundant enzymes in sprouts that works in our favour, and we also have the sprouting which does contribute to a reduction in some of the anti-nutrients, and when a digestive enzyme and probiotic are taken we get a gold mine of bioavailable nutrition. It works!!!

And you eat just 200 grams of lentils and you get 30% daily zinc allowance with an excess of zinc over copper and extremely high iron (much higher than spinach). And 5 - 6 day sprouting knocks out all the uric acid and most phytic acid and a favourable zinc ratio means potentially very high bioavailable zinc, especially when a probiotic is taken to knock out the zinc binding tannins. BAM!!! Then you take 20 chlorella and get another 20% zinc allowance. Then if you take 500 ml of alfalfa juice you can get 50% zinc and use high iron foods to keep a check on excess copper. And then you take the sprouted seeds like chia and get another 30%+ of zinc, or, take sprouted sprouted poppy with chlorella and a probiotic and and get almost 100% zinc allowance in one hit...and that's not taking into account mineral chelation caused by the abundant enzymes in sprouts. smiling smiley smiling smiley With the sprout diet it is win win all the way.

And sproutarians can get good levels of B2 which can be low in vegan diets if we are not careful. And when B2 is low, so is iron and B6 [generally] because of reduced absprtion. BUT, sprouting can increase B2 up to 500% and B6 up to 200%. B1 increases slightly, but not such an issue with vegans. B3 increases by about 50%. B5 increases over 300%. This applies to mung beans, but these types of increases usually always apply to sprouts. And if you want to go big time, you go to some of the highest sources of B vitamins - the sprouted seeds like sesame and sunflower.

Have sprouted poppy and you get over 1,000 mg of calcium in almost perfect balance with phosphous (very rare food in this respect), almost entire RDA of zinc, you get rda of iron and rda's of various other minerals. And this is still underestimating it's true effect because we are not taking into acount the increases in gross minerals caused through sprouting and the increased bioavailability via chelated minerals through enzymatic production. See...the N.H diet has NONE of this magic, but the sprout diet has magic moment after magic moment. It truely is glorious. And all you do is eat various foods at a meal and bring extra magic moments via good synergy levels to the diet which makes it even more effective. It staggers the mind how good and balanced the nutrition is when done well.

One day, soon...l will go on and on and on about this and scan and post all the studies to show that sprouting is the finest food we have on the planet without a doubt. Nothing touches that diet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 09:58PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 15, 2014 09:58PM

U can talk about problems all u want.

I will continue to enjoy my excellent health

and I love everything I eat.

spirituality does not require denial of enjoyment.
your alleged problems are nonexistent in my world, from
tests, feelings, nutrient analysis all is well.
I have never denied b12 is an issue.

Posted by: esa ()
Date: February 15, 2014 10:09PM

I eat sprouted rice and sesame, two days old- as sproutman says. Besides fruit and carrots, that is my diet, usually. I add salt to the rice and sesame mix.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:13PM

fresh Wrote:
> U can talk about problems all u want.
>
> I will continue to enjoy my excellent health
>
> and I love everything I eat.
>
> spirituality does not require denial of
> enjoyment.
> your alleged problems are nonexistent in my world,
> from
> tests, feelings, nutrient analysis all is well.
> I have never denied b12 is an issue.

All l am saying Fresh is to be aware of these issues, and if problems start occuring down the track, you will know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and you can change things.

Many raw vegans give up when the wheels fall off, but l don't think it has to be that way if you fix the gaps and balance the nutrition well. Sprouts, algaes and seaweeda are our friends and they should be the mainstay of any diet imo...Brian Clement says the same, and it does make perfect nutritional sense.

Anti nutrients = sharp teeth and love to fight...the tough guys that love to make us crash and burn

And it is no accident that Dr Brian includes probiotics and digestive enzymes in the diet, he is well aware of the impact of anti-nutrients. Those anti-nutrients always rear their sharp teeth, take you unaware and will bite you when your defenses are down and they can throw you right off the wagon face first into the dust. Humans are no match for the anti-nutrients unless we put on our boxing gloves and defeat them via supplementation. The anti-nutrients love punching in the heads of raw vegans and knocking them out (that is their favourate past time LOL), so best not to let them win.

After spending 1 year almost everyday of reading thousands and thousands of pages of fermentation science studies l am well aware of the problem of anti-nutrients and how good bacteria can fix many of these problems. And low and behold, the probiotic science does back this up also. And it is no surprise that commonsenseraw fixed his digestive issues with green juices this way (adding ferments). We all should include ferments at least a few times per week if we are reasonably healthy. And even indigestable prebiotics do help because the undigested fermentation increases uptake on minerals, BUT...we don't want to over-do the dissacharide sugars as in high fruit consumption, so we lower levels of dissacarides via spouting so the levels are moderated and still function as a prebiotic, AND...if we do weekly fasting we can clean up any potential problems these dissacharides may cause imo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 10:23PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 15, 2014 10:23PM

fresh Wrote:
> U can talk about problems all u want.
>
> I will continue to enjoy my excellent health
>
> and I love everything I eat.
>
> spirituality does not require denial of
> enjoyment.
> your alleged problems are nonexistent in my world,
> from
> tests, feelings, nutrient analysis all is well.
> I have never denied b12 is an issue.

What tests, blood tests? Not that it's even guaranteed you're telling the truth anyways. A lot of people on high-fruit diets feel great because they're constantly "high" on sugar and have tons of energy. Doesn't mean it's not harming their body, especially the low-grade store-bought produce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 10:25PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:34PM

sproutarianman,

perhaps you could be a little more condescending.

you are incorrect in your assumptions and nutrient concerns but are too biased to see it.
keep on going with your nonfactual information, it impresses the gullible newbies.

there us no diet that has no nutrient concerns.

you just think your diet is superior for some unknown reason.

this is not the diet wars - this is a board to share information.

the scaremongers like yourself like to post ridiculous studies and baseless statements.

the funniest thing is when you state that your diet requires digestive enzymes and probiotics ...
maybe you should modify your diet instead. oh, no, can't do that, clement and esselstyn said not to!

obeyance to supposed authorities. tragic.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:41PM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> And yes, sunflower greens taste good juiced and
> whole. Juice is a lot stronger but no problems
> with it. Wheatgrass juice tastes good. Broccoli
> sprouts taste good.

Nothing more enjoyable than those lovely potent green drinks, it is like ahhh. With cerial grass juice there are two type of people, you either love it or you dislike it. I have various SAD friends who LOVE the taste, but for me l am not a big fan of wheatgrass or ryegrass juice. But when l add it to fenugreek, buckwheat, alafalfa, brocolli and other green sprouts juices it greatly enhances the taste and creates that ahhhh moment. I also enjoy my sprouted legumes drinks, but those are quite hardcore drinks and take longer to adjust to. Weed juice is another good drink, but it takes a little time to fully adjust to it. I especially love the forest weeds over the farm weeds because the forest weeds are extra strong and can be very HOT, and it makes you feel like a fire breathing dragon LOL. It's good to spend the entire Sunday on weed juices...drink over 120 Oz for the day, and you feel so peaced out and it impacts parts of the brain that the usual sprouts don't. I love weed feasts during the colder seasons....stinging nettle, cheese weed, thistles and dandelion and various flowers.

The key to adjusting the taste buds for SAD people is to start off by eating large alfalfa salads before the main meal. Within days the taste buds are dramatically altered towards accepting healthier foods. And after about 4 - 5 days those alfalfa sprouts become enjoyable to eat. During the first few days those sprouts will taste aweful and burn the mouth, but persistance quickly pays off. And after a couple of weeks you include sprouted mung beans in the diet, and this changes the taste buds even more. Then you add in soaked nuts or sprouted seeds for lunch and fruit for breakfast, and before you know it you are 80% raw. Over time you start refining the diet as you feel ready. And the next thing you know...you become so motivated that you pull the rug out from underneath you and go 100% raw (no saftey barriers anymore), but that means blending lots of food and over eating until those old SAD habits subside. Then after overeating a while and trying to buy into the SAD mentality of calories you begin to cut down food and only eat when hungry....this is the start of perfecting the diet. And when you can maintain weight on 1,400 calories it teaches you alot, and you start to become free, and you don't get hungry or cravings.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:49PM

jtprindl,

you guys are like a broken record.
you think you're the first one to notice that much of the produce in the stores is not good?

you think there are no other options?

do you recall me mentioning that i get food in the wild, and food in farmers markets , organic markets, and other places? i worked on a blueberry farm , I pick my own produce on farms... the lettuce i get often comes from local farms, next day after picking. oh, wait, not good enough! I need to eat it same day or it's worthless, right?

even if you don't get excellent produce like I do, it can still work.. stop acting like you know what nutrients the produce has that everyone eats, and how much is assimilated, etc.. because you don't. this deficiency mentality is really sad.

OF COURSE you don't need to believe me, do what you want to do.
you might consider that constantly saying things that others tell you is counter to their experience over decades is rather pointless and doesn't help anyone.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:49PM

fresh Wrote:

>
> there us no diet that has no nutrient concerns.

Of course there are diet concerns with all diets. The sprout diet is low in D3, B12, and if supplementation is not taken to break down anti nutrients you can be low in many more things. But things can be fixed. We can even get vitamin K2.

>
> this is not the diet wars

Oh..l thought your original post was an invitation for a diet war, that's why l obliged. winking smiley

>
> the scaremongers like yourself like to post
> ridiculous studies and baseless statements.

Thanks for setting me straight. All baseless eh?

>
> the funniest thing is when you state that your
> diet requires digestive enzymes and probiotics
> ...
> maybe you should modify your diet instead. oh,
> no, can't do that, clement and esselstyn said not
> to!
>
> obeyance to supposed authorities. tragic.

No no, l am my own man. I follow no raw guru these days. I come to my conclusions through hard study and take no-one's word for it. It just happens that Dr Brian backs up the conclusions l come to.

> maybe you should modify your diet instead.

To what?

Date: February 15, 2014 11:00PM

fresh Wrote:
> jtprindl,
>
> you guys are like a broken record.
> you think you're the first one to notice that much
> of the produce in the stores is not good?
>
> you think there are no other options?
>
>
> do you recall me mentioning that i get food in the
> wild, and food in farmers markets , organic
> markets, and other places? i worked on a
> blueberry farm , I pick my own produce on farms...
> the lettuce i get often comes from local farms,
> next day after picking. oh, wait, not good enough!
> I need to eat it same day or it's worthless,
> right?
>
> even if you don't get excellent produce like I do,
> it can still work.. stop acting like you know what
> nutrients the produce has that everyone eats, and
> how much is assimilated, etc.. because you don't.
> this deficiency mentality is really sad.
>
> OF COURSE you don't need to believe me, do what
> you want to do.
> you might consider that constantly saying things
> that others tell you is counter to their
> experience over decades is rather pointless and
> doesn't help anyone.

What percent of food do you get in the wild, 5-10%? Organic markets and farmers markets both have old produce. It's not hard to know what nutrients are in what foods, it's called simple research. Just like simple research would show you the Natural Hygiene diet simply isn't anywhere near optimal.

Date: February 15, 2014 11:04PM

fresh Wrote:

>
> you guys are like a broken record.

Yes we do. I for one am going to play that record time and time again for decades to come. The record runs like this..."avoid shop bought and farmers market fruits and vegetables. Most store bought fruit is unripe and not fresh. Many unripe fruits contain high levels of tannins which bind a spectrum of nutrients and can contribute to health problems. Eat fresh. Grow your own food and grow it with lots of love".

>
>
> do you recall me mentioning that i get food in the
> wild,

Great.

> and food in farmers markets , organic
> markets, and other places?

I've done that too and it is a disaster. Tried to make it work over the years and couldn't. Had to ditch that idea. Never come across much suitable produce that way in 20 years of searching wide.

> i worked on a
> blueberry farm ,

Blueberries are a disaster too. I've picked plenty of blueberries and they are unique in that many of these berries never quite ripen properly. Not all the berries get good sun and parts of the bunches won't get ripe (there are sweet ones and sour ones). I am sure you would know that. Also, these high tannin blue berries are made worse by incraesed tannins due to many of the berries not being properly ripe.

I've picked blue berries at the end of season. Still the same thing, they are not always ripe. Still, they are great in moderation....hard to resist picking fresh blue berries once in a while.

> I pick my own produce on farms...
> the lettuce i get often comes from local farms,
> next day after picking. oh, wait, not good enough!
> I need to eat it same day or it's worthless,
> right?

Personally l wouldn't eat it the day after, but it is much better than a week later. Anyway, sprouts are much higher in food enzymes and phyto nutrients, and these are very powerful in health and fighting disease, so why not base the diet on high levels of sprouts and get all high levels of enzymes, phyto nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc. Why choose a lower nutrient food [which is also hard to balance without intervention] in this day and age that is not fresh? Doesn't make sense.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 11:11PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 15, 2014 11:26PM

?....l thought your original post was an invitation for a diet war, that's why l wobliged.  > >

Not at all. Just a post counter to your repetitive posts

the scaremongers like yourself like to post > ridiculous studies and baseless statements. Thanks for setting me straight. All baseless eh? 

?..just two recent posts that u think are meaningful. Your study on fructose..meaningless...your vid from esselstyn proclaiming smoothies toxic...also baseless.

bottom line is that u are just like everyone else...u personally had some problem with the produce u were eating and you conclude that all store bought produce is worthless. Extremely subjective and blind to alternate reality.

Date: February 15, 2014 11:29PM

Jtprindl I have no idea what u are trying to prove. Ur spittin in the wind .

Date: February 15, 2014 11:36PM

The N.H folks eat their foods as they are taught, but many suffer problems. I have given some explanations as to why this could be the case and some solutions.

Some of the studies l bring up serve as food for thought (fructose studies) that one is advised to read and carefully consider, and other studies are very high quality that are ignored at one's possible peril. To write everything off as baseless and silly is a grave mistake imo considering the poor reputation of the N.H diet.

Fresh wrote:

"u personally had some problem with the produce u were eating and you conclude that all store bought produce is worthless"

Not worthless, but better choices could be made.

Date: February 15, 2014 11:48PM

Of course better choices can be made...

u just dont get it.
u couldnt get the fruit thing so fruit is bad.
Immature and self absorbed response.

Almost every statement u make is an absurd generalization.
blueberries bad! Hilarious

Date: February 15, 2014 11:52PM

fresh Wrote:
> Of course better choices can be made...

Finally he gets it! smiling smiley

Better choices = sprouts, algae's, sea vegetables

Date: February 16, 2014 01:10AM

fresh Wrote:

> Immature and self absorbed response.
>
> Almost every statement u make is an absurd
> generalization.

Thanks for setting me straight `fresh'. smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2014 01:34AM

>Blueberries are a disaster too.

idiotic statements like this.

and your only response is a sarcastic statement "thanks for setting me straight"
as opposed to , you know, actually taking responsibility for something that you say.
or actually providing some kind of support for your anti fruit crusade.

Date: February 16, 2014 01:46AM

Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are saying.

Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l want you to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley

Life is too short for emotional carry on.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 16, 2014 01:48AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are
> saying.
>
> Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l want you
> to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley
>
> Life is too short for emotional carry on.

I've never gotten more than three unripe blueberries in a pack in my entire life. What God forsaken place do you live in?

Date: February 16, 2014 02:37AM

SueZ Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are
> > saying.
> >
> > Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l want
> you
> > to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley
> >
> > Life is too short for emotional carry on.
>
>
> I've never gotten more than three unripe
> blueberries in a pack in my entire life. What God
> forsaken place do you live in?

Perhaps you don't know how to tell ripe from unripe. It's okay, one day you'll learn smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2014 02:47AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> -----
> > The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are
> > > saying.
> > >
> > > Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l want
> > you
> > > to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley
> > >
> > > Life is too short for emotional carry on.
> >
> >
> > I've never gotten more than three unripe
> > blueberries in a pack in my entire life. What
> God
> > forsaken place do you live in?
>
>
> Perhaps you don't know how to tell ripe from
> unripe. It's okay, one day you'll learn smiling smiley

Maybe one day you will learn how to buy fruit but I doubt it. I've seen many, many of your type before. They never get far. Too insufferable. Hope you enjoy working in nursing homes.

Date: February 16, 2014 02:49AM

SueZ Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> -----
> > SueZ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Oh fresh, if only you could see what you
> are
> > > > saying.
> > > >
> > > > Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l
> want
> > > you
> > > > to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley
> > > >
> > > > Life is too short for emotional carry on.
> > >
> > >
> > > I've never gotten more than three unripe
> > > blueberries in a pack in my entire life. What
> > God
> > > forsaken place do you live in?
> >
> >
> > Perhaps you don't know how to tell ripe from
> > unripe. It's okay, one day you'll learn smiling smiley
>
> Maybe one day you will learn how to buy fruit
> but I doubt it. I've seen many, many of your type
> before. They never get far. Too insufferable. Hope
> you enjoy working in nursing homes.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrright.

Date: February 16, 2014 03:03AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man was saying that he found many
> unripe berries while picking the blueberries. I'm
> sure only the ripest berries go into the packaged
> berries but in nature it's different. Besides do
> we even know if the companies do smething so that
> either all the berries come out artificially ripe
> and perfect looking or what?

Personally I'm on strike from eating blueberries until the growers switch from using peat moss to coir.

Date: February 16, 2014 05:41AM

I don't know how many of you have tasted real blueberry directly from the plant/garden , it has totally different taste (mother nature is Great) then what you get from store (including organic one). I guess SP man is trying to make the point that sprouts are fresh with more bio-photons (refer to Dr Valeri Hunt's work) than store brought blue berries, for sure bberries have ORAC value more than 3300 but it also has oxalic acid which ADD,ADHD and autistic kids are not supposed to eat, the context he is referring here is emf associated to the raw food

Date: February 16, 2014 07:11AM

SueZ Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> -----
> > Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are
> > saying.
> >
> > Be happy `fresh', and smile. l do, and l want
> you
> > to also, all the time! Like this. smiling smiley
> >
> > Life is too short for emotional carry on.
>
>
> I've never gotten more than three unripe
> blueberries in a pack in my entire life. What God
> forsaken place do you live in?

Oh fresh, if only you could see what you are

Even the farmer told me that there are always tarty blueberries (unripe) on the bushes and said the trick is to eat a whole bunch togeather so you don't taste the sour ones. Having some unripe berries is the nature of the fruit because of how they grow on the bushes. Many people are aware of the issues with blueberries, but for some reason folks here don't seem to be aware of it.

Yes jtprindl, l don't think people can always tell a properly ripe fruit from moderately ripe fruit. I grew up with lots of fruit trees so l am quite aware of the difference with store bought fruit that looks ripe compared to properly tree ripened fruit. I know straight away if a piece of fruit is slightly unripe and l will usually spit it out.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables