Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions for the experts
Posted by: Becky ()
Date: February 15, 2014 03:39PM

Hi everyone, I started eating raw about a week ago to try to heal some health problems. I know that's not very long and it takes time but I have some questions. I am 56 and have been dealing with joint pain for a while. I find the last few days of eating raw it is much worse. I also feel and sound like I have a cold with tons of phlegm. My eyes are very bloodshot and my vision is blurry. I know some of the symptoms I'm having are detox but my eyes really worry me. I want to do a 30 day juice fast and I thought I would eat raw for a few days to ease into it. The only things I've had are fruits and veggies and 1 T. coconut oil each day. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions for the experts
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 15, 2014 04:45PM

I could even go easier at first. It can be a big change. There are trapped toxins in the liver and in fat. Colonics help to detox at first and avoid toxins reabsorbsion.

joint pain: maybe you are sensitive to oxalates in the veggies.

vision blurry: maybe not enough dark leafy greens

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 04:49PM by Panchito.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:07PM

Panchito, thanks for the reply. By "go easier" what do you mean? Should I add something else? Maybe raw nuts or something. I am using a powder for detox called ZeoForce also and a little Bentonite powder. Thanks

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 15, 2014 05:30PM

>
> joint pain: maybe you are sensitive to oxalates in
> the veggies.
>
> vision blurry: maybe not enough dark leafy greens

Lol... dark leafy greens contain a lot of oxalates, just a little bit of a contradiction.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:33PM

Do you have a history of medications or smoking? What did your diet primarily consist of before you went raw? Do you live in a polluted or toxic environment? Do you exercise? These are all things that are going to make a huge impact in the duration and severity of your detox. Chlorella and spirulina are two very potent detoxifying algae's that will help speed up the detox process, but you should start at a lower dose and work your way up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 05:36PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 15, 2014 06:04PM

I am doing a green powder also and Green Vibrance. I'll just stick it out. Thanks!

Date: February 15, 2014 08:01PM

I think green powders are significantly inferior to fresh foods and algae's and therefore have way less therapeutic effects. For example, wheatgrass powder is typically (if not always) the dried pulp pulverized into a powder. So they juice the wheatgrass (extracting almost all the nutrition) and then give you the powdered pulp and promote it like it's super nutritious because it's wheatgrass, even though it's really not wheatgrass anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 08:02PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 15, 2014 08:34PM

I'm doing a lot of fresh green veggies too. I just haven't had the energy to start juicing yet.

Posted by: esa ()
Date: February 15, 2014 10:23PM

Big question is what you are used to. If you are a smoker, drinker, fried food and meat eater, with a stressful lifestyle, then you might need to "take it easy", satisfy yourself, and make a paradigm shift that honors your body without punishing it. Not that a detox is punishment, but start with love. See how your desires are towards foods and realize the risks of cutting them out too fast. I've been trying to go raw for twenty years, and I am happy telling people that I try to eat raw, I try to eat vegan, I try to eat vegetarian, and I try to love.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: February 15, 2014 10:29PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think green powders are significantly inferior
> to fresh foods and algae's and therefore have way
> less therapeutic effects. For example, wheatgrass
> powder is typically (if not always) the dried pulp
> pulverized into a powder. So they juice the
> wheatgrass (extracting almost all the nutrition)
> and then give you the powdered pulp and promote it
> like it's super nutritious because it's
> wheatgrass, even though it's really not wheatgrass
> anymore.

I thought that wheatgrass powder was the whole juice and fiber freeze dried.

Date: February 16, 2014 04:21PM

Thanks Esa. You are so right. This has to be a shock to the system. I probably did too much too soon. I did a lot of cleansings and fasts in my 20's with no problems. Of course middle age is a whole different ballgame, I've got many more years of toxins built up smiling smiley

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables