Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eczema anyone?? I'm Burning!!
Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: November 29, 2006 01:58AM

I have had eczema since I was born. Everyone told me that it would never be cured. I stumbled upon raw foods two momths ago and I truly believe I can cure it trough raw foods, however due to my detox, it has gotten so bad!! Does anyone have any remedies or cures?

I currently use coconut oil, use filter water on my skin and drink alot of green juices. Not sure what else to do.

thanks Guys!!

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eczema anyone?? I'm Burning!!
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 29, 2006 02:32AM

Your eczema can totally be healed. To do this, your body needs to detox the poisons in your tissue, which currently manifests in your body as eczema symptoms. The last thing you want to do is to suppress these symptoms as your body is detoxing. If you do, these poisons will remain in your tissues and later turn into nastier symptoms like skin cancer.

I would highly recommend putting nothing on your skin except sunlight. Avoid using lotions and soaps, and shower with only water. It would also serve to get a water filter for your shower to remove the chlorine from your tap water. And if you don't already, get a water filter for your drinking water so you are not drinking chlorine or fluoride.

Posted by: GoneGreen ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:48AM

Jamie
I may be able too offer you encouragement. Mine dissapered at 6 weeks and actually never thought about it till you mentioned it. Perhaps someone can comment for you on something i have heard "last health problem is first helped, first health problem last helped" thinking of this as you mentioned you have had it for yrs. mine only had 3 mounths (old diet). Good luck and will you keep us updated from time too time. thank's

I kind of pause too mention this but,
[www.notmilk.com]
Just thinking of it as you said all your life.

mine would flare up with, milk, cottage cheese and especially soy sauce.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 29, 2006 05:52AM

Is this due to an allergy of some type?

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: November 29, 2006 06:06AM

Hi Jaime,
I can totally symapthize with you regarding having your eczema flare up after becoming raw. I had the *exact* same thing happen. When I decided to become 100% raw, my eczema flared up to the point that I was in constant pain, running fevers, getting hives and rashes, and was itchy beyond most people's ability to comprehend.
The word on the raw circuit when I described my exacerbated symptoms, was that it was all "detox" and I needed to watch as my body "detoxed all the poisons out" and that it will all be "better eventually" and I will then be "healed and cured of my eczema forever." Suffice to say, it NEVER happened that way. Unbeknownst to me, I was having major allergic reactions to many of the healthy raw foods so many live eaters take for granted. Allergic reactions that don't get cleared out by experiencing more eczema and hives non stop for nearly a year. And even if they did, or would have eventually stopped at some point, who can live in such chronic pain waiting for that day to happen...? Who can live with the disrupted sleep, the impared brain function that chronic pain induces, and limited physical contact with others because their skin is on fire all the time..? Not many people can live that way. But I was living that way, completely debilitated but Raw! because I believed all of the "gurus" who claimed I could get "cured". I did stick it out. I was a trooper and didn't want to give up my raw diet even though I was experiencing so many seriously horrible symptoms that if had I had had any scientific or healing insight into skin issues beyong the detox and purge the poison model, I would not have made the same choices.

In the end, about almost about a year after staying 100% raw, my body couldn't take all the scratching and fevers and bloody broken skin, and I came down with a massive staph infection. All that clean living and "detoxification" lead me to a whopping massive staph infection that put me on anti-biotics for 6 months and left me weak and fatigued and drained. I have never fully recovered my energy since that infection breakdown.

My advice or coaching as one eczema sufferer to another, is to rotate your diet. Check to see if there are new fruits veggies or nuts that you've recently added to your diet that wasn't there when you were a SAD eater. Perhaps you are allergic to those products however healthy they may seem. Just like some women can't eat too many avo's or nuts without getting cellulite, ( and if you'll notice, no raw gurus are telling women that cellulite from eating avos and nuts is "just detox" and that they should still continue to eat those foods and continue adding to the cellulite on their asses. It's only foods that create eczema that people are being encouraged to keep eating and keep getting sicker from...interesting to note) you could be experiencing allergic flare ups of eczema due to an intollerance of certain foods. For your green juices, try making a juice with 2 veggies at a time and see if you flare up and avoid those veggies if you do. Or beter yet, juice one veg at a time, like just Kale juice one day, as if it were like a shot of wheat grass. It'll be easier to mark a reaction and avoid if you do react.
And test each veggie you eat to see if you get itchy after eating it. Do mono meals for a while. Adding a little warm cooked vegan food like veggie broth is also soothing and calming to the skin.

If I could do it all over again, I would have taken my medication when the flare ups got too severe when I went raw. I would have done a little more allergy testing from conventional medical practices, been a little less dogmatic about my all holistic program, and I would have been a little less rigid about the 100% rule. I also wish that when my flare ups were intense I would have switched and changed my diet around more and not have been so attatched to the concept of all raw purity. Over time I found that lightly steaming my veggies, and limiting my nuts and seeds by eating more steamed sprouted lentils and chickpeas has been easier on my digestive tract and helps when I get into a situation with my skin.

If you need more feeback or want to ask any more questions, please feel free to ask.

I wish you a pain free, sleep filled night.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: November 29, 2006 02:21PM

One last thing I would add about food...

Straight dandelion juice was super extremely helpful ( I would juice one whole big bunch to make about 8 oz of it at one time) in calming down my skin during acute pain phases.

Spinach juice was also healing and cooling.

~Bikini

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:37AM

>And test each veggie you eat to see if you get itchy after eating it. Do mono meals for a while.

I am normally against mono eating but in your case this is really good advice. You probably have multiple sensitivities and you will have to figure out your triggers so that you can have peace and avoid them so an elimination diet makes good sense.

Very bland fruits are a good place to start. Many people have problems with dairy, legumes, nuts, and grains. But a lot of raw fruits and vegetables might also be problems for you.

Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:46AM

Thanks guys for your input and support. As of two days ago i am now 100% raw and have given up nuts and seeds. I am also going to eat mostly fruit. Hopefully it works! I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your suggestions...I am definetly going to try them.

I have faith!! smiling smiley

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 30, 2006 12:10PM

Before I went vegan and started to go more raw I would get these tiny red bumps on my upper arms that would inch sometimes.

These have gone since eating a healthier diet. Skin manifestations like this usually mean that your lymphatic system is burdened with toxins so it is trying to eliminate toxins via the skin (the secondary elimination organ after the colon).

I agree with above comments, it could be an allergy. Perhaps try an apple fast for 3 or 4 days and see if symptoms improve. You can find details of how to apple fast by going to google.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: November 30, 2006 03:51PM

The above advice is excellent. There is one more thing to consider that most people new to raw food do not know. It is critical that your body's ph level be properly balanced. The blood ph should be slightly alkaline at a reding of 7.365. A reading consistently below 6.5 or above 8.5 can signal trouble over time.

You can test your urnine with litmus paper (purchased online or at a health food or drug store). If your readings are EVER below 6.5 consistently, then you are in danger of health problems due to excess acid in the body. For you I believe it is critical that you read a book by Dr. Robert Young called The PH Miracle. It will flesh out the details of all of this. He believes that ALL dis-ease is caused by an over-acidification of the blood and body fluids.

When our bodies are too acidic (identified by a number lower than 7.0) then we can begin to experience a host of health issues determined by our genetics, lifestyle, eating patterns, and even past injuries.

Allergic reactions are merely an acidic body producing a chain reaction of overgrowth of many kinds of microforms including yeast, fungus, mold, viruses and bacteria. This can do all kinds of damage to your digestive tract causing holes in the lining of the tract that food particles pass through. They go directly to the blood stream and cause havoc in your weak areas; in your case this is the skin. These destructive microforms CANNOT live in a properly ph balanced body. They can ONLY LIVE IN ACID FLUIDS. A properly balance body with a ph reading near 7.365 will not allow the environment for them to thrive.

Once your ph is optimal your symptoms will disappear but it will not happen overnight. Be careful with too much sweet fruit as it can cause the body to be too acidic and contine providing a wonderful nesting ground for all the nasty microforms. Focus on greens as outlined in the other posts in this topic and low sugar fruits such as lemon, lime, and grapefruit. Yes, they are acidic going in, but they produce an alkaline ash in the body which is what you want. If I were you, I would stay away from ANY OTHER FRUIT for several months because you probably cannot stay slightly alkaline by eating any. Fruits such as cucumber, bell pepper, avocado, tomato, coconut and other low sugar fruits are okay also.

You have to be careful when looking at acid/alkaline food lists because they differ. You want a list of foods that gives you foods that produce an alkaline ASH in the body. This is what your body does to them after they are digested. I suggest following Dr. Young's program. (And, no, I do not work for him.) My life has been changed by his program and I believe in it.

Date: November 30, 2006 04:06PM

Also, you should really try to take a green powder added to your water with a little lemon if you need to. It will up your alkalizing minerals, add protein to your diet, and all kinds of other good things. There are lots of choices. There are also some Ph drops you can add to water to raise your ph level. Coral Calcium is also good. You can also add baking soda to water and it will raise your ph. About a teaspoon for a glass of water. You should try to get down one ounce of water for every pound you weigh daily or as close to that as you can stand.

Dr. Robert Young has some greens that I think are the best based on my experience, but there are others you can find online and at health food stores.
Try Super Greens and Prime Ph. Super Greens is the only product on the market that is made from sprouted things, wheat and kamut grass and about 40 other green things. Of course it is processed at extremely low temps. It is higly alkalizing!! It has no spirulina or other micro algae which is good for you for now.

You can order these two things by calling 800-677-0997.

Posted by: GoneGreen ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:27PM

Jamie and all:
i just ran across a doctor's site that has some info on Eczema and wheat grass.
he mentions soap, soap really made my dad's flare up.
[www.wheatgrassprofessional.info]

this is his main site on wheat grass.
[www.wheatgrassprofessional.info]
on the left side there he talks more on skin conditions.

i hit the water hard as well. Did the therpy of 45oz first thing in the morning
before any food etc then all day as well.
[www.anvari.org]

take care

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:30PM

I used to have eczema. I had it for eight years before discovering raw foods. I then tried eating a diet of mostly fruit and it made the eczema worse.

I then went to a naturopathic doctor and he prescribed a homeopathic medicine. It made 95% of the eczema symptoms disappear. I then started using natural cellular defense and 100% of the eczema symptoms disappeared.

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 04:54AM by Bryan.

Date: December 01, 2006 05:06PM

jamied1217, let us know how you do in the future. We would like to know you are improvling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables