Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does anybody own an "Easy Green" (auto sprouter)?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 27, 2014 04:05PM

if so, what are your thoughts? What do you use it for? Is it worth the money?

[www.amazon.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anybody own an "Easy Green" (auto sprouter)?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 27, 2014 04:22PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if so, what are your thoughts? What do you use it
> for? Is it worth the money?
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> erator-96-activation/dp/B000PDBA4C

I don't see why you can't just use the jar method for basically free. When I make a jar full of sprouts, it takes a long time to use them up. So I can't imagine having all those trays--unless you juice them, I suppose.

I think this might be the model pushed by Matt Monarch in one of his videos. You could go check if you would trust it as a balanced review. There are three dozen reviews on Amazon for this and it has quite a high rating.

Date: February 27, 2014 04:34PM

I think the advantage would be the forced air circulation (anti mold?). You would not need to drain, fill, etc. You just add the water, wait and collect.

Date: February 27, 2014 04:36PM

That might be effective for broccoli sprouts. I tried more than once to make them and couldn't. It was suggested to use citric acid as a rinse. Also it's compact, I guess because they are stackable. And of course the convenience of not having to rinse them. Maybe you could make wheat grass in a couple of the shelves?

Date: February 27, 2014 04:47PM

I don't know about wheat grass. It brings mosquitos during hot weather. Then you don't know if they laid the eggs on the stems. Maybe using a semitransparent cotton cloth over the machine would help.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 27, 2014 09:14PM

Panchito Wrote:
> I don't know about wheat grass. It brings
> mosquitos during hot weather. Then you don't know
> if they laid the eggs on the stems. Maybe using a
> semitransparent cotton cloth over the machine
> would help.

If you use minerals in the water you can grow wheat grass WITHOUT SOIL in the Easy Green Sprouter. The inventor says that the minerals make the wheat grass taste sweet.

Here's Matt Monarch's interview video with the inventer...

[www.youtube.com]

Here's Matt and family doing a video demo in his home...

[www.youtube.com]

I wish I had ordered one last year when they were $179.99. It defiantly would save a lot of time to have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 09:22PM by SueZ.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 28, 2014 01:06AM

love mine smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 28, 2014 01:22AM

Jgunn Wrote:
> love mine smiling smiley

Great, a live one!

Have you ever tried growing wheat grass with vermiculite and kelp liquid in it?

Does that giant ugly sticker on the side peel off cleanly?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 01:25AM by SueZ.

Date: March 02, 2014 10:05PM

Suez I never took the sticker off but have had varying degrees of sticker removal issues on other things and find that saturating the sticker with any sort if oil seems to make it easy to remove

I don't grow in vermiculite I just sprout the seeds very densely in the individual trays and use liquid kelp . I juice the whole grass seed pod and root I don't see much point in not juicing the root it seems like a waste smiling smiley

Date: March 02, 2014 10:27PM

Jgunn, thanks for the additional info!

I'm hoping there is nothing in wheat grass juice that sets off celiac problems - like maybe something genetic hiding in the DNA of the blades. In any case it's probably a good idea to forgo anything but the blades themselves for those of us with gluten problems I should think. I'm going to give wheatgrass a trial run and if I have no bad reactions the Easy Green machine will be bought.

Date: March 02, 2014 10:41PM

Yes I'd avoid the seed and root then as the gluten would be in the grain part not the grass itself smiling smiley

Date: March 05, 2014 07:08PM

Well this surprised me. I just went over to Discount Juicers and found that they have discontinued the Easy Green sprouter. Pretty interesting why they did that...

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 05, 2014 07:12PM

It says "Discontinued due to excessive warranty claims."

Date: March 05, 2014 08:01PM

Well I'm not in the mood for shelling out the big bucks or getting ripped of by another toy maker so I guess I'm going to have to do it all myself or do without.

The thing in this video won't do. Watch the frigging watering arm get halted by a few blades of wheatgrass in front of your eyes in the middle of the seller's sales pitch, lol...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 05, 2014 09:04PM

in the Amazon link (first post above) you can include a 3 year warranty for $25

Date: March 05, 2014 09:40PM

Panchito Wrote:
> in the Amazon link (first post above) you can
> include a 3 year warranty for $25

Hahaha. A warranty is only as good as the company giving it. Who want's to pay more for more excessive claims?

Date: March 05, 2014 11:54PM

[www.amazon.com]

3-year coverage from date of purchase: mechanical and electrical failures
Free in-home service for large appliances
Free 2-way shipping for smaller appliance repairs
Your appliance is fixed or you receive full replacement cost
Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in first 30 days.

Easy Online Management
You can view, print, cancel, and transfer your plan, file a claim, and track its progress, 24/7

**** 558 customer reviews

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 11:55PM by Panchito.

Date: March 06, 2014 12:11AM

Panchito Wrote:
> [www.amazon.com]
> -Protection-Plan/dp/B003V5EUK2/ref=pd_abb_B000PDBA
> 4C_B003V5EUK2_1
>
> 3-year coverage from date of purchase: mechanical
> and electrical failures
> Free in-home service for large appliances
> Free 2-way shipping for smaller appliance repairs
> Your appliance is fixed or you receive full
> replacement cost
> Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime,
> full refund in first 30 days.
>
> Easy Online Management
> You can view, print, cancel, and transfer your
> plan, file a claim, and track its progress, 24/7
>
> **** 558 customer reviews

Too much bother. And you could probably replace anything that breaks at home with this stuff if you want to be that gung ho about dealing with a company with questionable buyer service. I'm not.

[www.therawfoodworld.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 12:12AM by SueZ.

Date: March 06, 2014 08:32AM

SueZ Wrote:
> Jgunn, thanks for the additional info!
>
> I'm hoping there is nothing in wheat grass
> juice that sets off celiac problems - like maybe
> something genetic hiding in the DNA of the blades.

Wheatgrass is reported by Brian Clement not to cause problems with coeliac patients (can't find the link right now), and wheatgrass does not contain gluten.

[www.coeliac.org.au]

None-the-less, l do recall a person here (a coeliac) has reported not feeling so good after wheatgrass juice. Could it have been the mold on the wheatgrass which caused the reaction?

If you do it, try to make sure your grass is nice and clean.

Date: March 06, 2014 09:52AM

AHA!

Here is Dr. Vikki Petersen. Be careful.

Is Wheat Grass and Barley Grass Safe for Celiacs?
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 06, 2014 01:36PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> AHA!
>
> Here is Dr. Vikki Petersen. Be careful.
>
> Is Wheat Grass and Barley Grass Safe for Celiacs?
> [www.youtube.com]

Seems to me the jury is still out and not enough is really know yet about the effects of eating the as yet unexpressed gluten genes in the blades being capable of causing problems. I was hoping more would be known since I last did research on the subject over 20 years ago.

Another thing that concerns me is that the grass is grown so jammed together that growing mold in the roots seems inevitable if you let the blades grow long enough even if soil is used. Even if you don't eat the mold you are going to be breathing it if you grow wheatgrass in an unenclosed environment indoors.

Probably best to take a pass on wheat grass.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: March 06, 2014 02:17PM

I have not looked into this yet, but could the "jointing stage" be a determining factor?

Here's an old post that talks about the "jointing stage":

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Re: ok confused about wheatgrass
David Henry (208.252.155.---)
Date: 01-08-02 13:01

I've read extensively about cereal grasses (wheat, barley, oats, and rye) and have developed my own opinions relating to your questions.

I believe growing grass indoors using trays full of soil is not necessarily the best way to obtain valuable nutrients. Since the soil is only a few inches deep, the root system of the grass does not fully develop and does not absorb massive amounts of nutrients. The grass does not receive the beneficial natural sunlight (if you using growing lights) and does not receive natural water from rain. Most importantly, the grass usually does not reach the "jointing stage" due to the short growing time - usually around 10 days. (The "jointing stage" is the point where the grass switches from vegatative growth to reproductive growth. The "jointing stage" is the point where the grass plant is at its nutritional peak.)

Outdoor grown grass that is used in supplements is usually grown over a period of at least 60 days. During this time the grass receives plenty of natural sunlight and water. This extended time period allows for an extensive root system to develop and reach deep into the rich, organic soil to absorb large amounts of beneficial nutrients. Most importantly, the extended growing time allows the grass plant to reach its nutritional peak. Most reputable grass companies harvest the plant at the "jointing stage", juice it, and immediately turn it into powder using a special process that ensures no nutrients and enzymes are destroyed.

While both methods have their problems, (1. short growth time and lack of nutrients in indoor tray grown grass and 2. lack of "freshness" with the bottled powder products) I prefer the powdered grass powder for the reasons descried above and for its convenience factor.

Ideally, it would be best to grow your own grass outdoors in organic soil, harvest a small batch whenever it is ready, juice it immediately, and drink it immediately. Obviously this is not incredibly feasible for most people.

As others have mentioned in their posts, grass juice or grass juice supplements are only a small part of a healthy diet / lifestyle. In addition to my grass supplements, I eat a primarily raw diet, juice other fruits and vegetables every day, exercise daily, and maintain a positive attitude.

Best regards,

David Henry
david@coshealth.com
www.coshealth.com
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Peace and Love..........John

Date: March 06, 2014 03:26PM

So Dr. Vikki Peterson says the gluten in the grass doesn't develop until the grass is two weeks old and it won't have gluten in it if you consume it within the 7-10 day, which I assume is the jointing stage David Henry is referring to as the stage the wheat grass reaches it's peak nutrition.

If these two people are right the peak of nutrition is reached just as the gluten develops and the gluten, being the protein, is probably what is responsible from upping wheat grass' nutrition.

Makes perfect sense. It also makes perfect sense then not to bother with wheat grass even for people who have no diagnosed wheat related problems because, as even some savvy MD's know, celiac is probably the most common undiagnosed disease.

Date: March 06, 2014 03:36PM

"It also makes perfect sense then not to bother with wheat grass even for people who have no diagnosed wheat related problems"

False smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 03:37PM by jtprindl.

Date: March 06, 2014 03:46PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "It also makes perfect sense then not to bother
> with wheat grass even for people who have no
> diagnosed wheat related problems"
>
> False smiling smiley

Yeah maybe if you're lucky and disregard the half of the paragraph you left out. "It also makes perfect sense then not to bother with wheat grass even for people who have no diagnosed wheat related problems because, as even some savvy MD's know, celiac is probably the most common undiagnosed disease."

But even then there are so many mold free and easier ways of getting nutrition why bother with wheat grass? If you want to go that route barley seems a better choice for grass as it hasn't been messed with as much as wheat has. Tastes better, too.

Date: March 06, 2014 05:22PM

Sproutarian Man, I find it odd that you haven't commented on the actual product. What do you use to sprout--bags? Jars?

Date: March 06, 2014 05:38PM

banana who Wrote:
> Sproutarian Man, I find it odd that you haven't
> commented on the actual product. What do you use
> to sprout--bags? Jars?

[www.thesproutarian.com]

Date: March 06, 2014 05:41PM

"It also makes perfect sense then not to bother with wheat grass even for people who have no diagnosed wheat related problems because, as even some savvy MD's know, celiac is probably the most common undiagnosed disease."

It may be the most common undiagnosed disease, however that doesn't mean people who drink wheatgrass likely have it. It's something to keep in mind though if one begins to feel ill effects after drinking it.

"But even then there are so many mold free and easier ways of getting nutrition why bother with wheat grass? If you want to go that route barley seems a better choice for grass as it hasn't been messed with as much as wheat has. Tastes better, too."

Wheatgrass doesn't always grow mold and even if it does it's only at the very bottom, near the soil, so you can snip it above where the mold is. Besides, I believe the mold is harmless. Is wheatgrass the most nutritious grass? I don't know, probably not, but it's still loaded with nutrients.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 05:41PM by jtprindl.

Date: March 06, 2014 08:24PM

banana who Wrote:
> Sproutarian Man, I find it odd that you haven't
> commented on the actual product. What do you use
> to sprout--bags? Jars?

I use trays, jars, sprout bags and do things on soil. I am not much of a fan of these auto sprouters because they are very small and l would need many of them to fill my needs. I would need to spend thousands on buying enough for my needs, and it would mean hooking all these machines up to an electricity supply.

I try to promote thift and getting involved with the growing and watering process. I like to watch over the greens day by day and getting close to them, and this auto system doesn't provide that intimacy for me. I was offered a machine but l said no thanks.

Besides, those machines are never going to wash those seeds properly imo. The spray pressure wouldn't be enough to wash the bacteria and junk off certain seeds. Some seeds need 100 psi of water pressure at times, and it needs to done sufficiently so that cloudy water [draining off] becomes clear. I don't always wash my seeds perfectly, but at times they do need the royal treatment. Nut sprouts always need the royal treatment. Mung and adzuki can sometimes need the royal treatment during various times of the year.

In summery, l am very skeptical of automatic sprouters. It breaks the connection of human intimacy from the greens and it won't wash various seeds near well enough. I like to open my greens unit, check them all out, admire their beauty and talk to them and encourage them to thrive. It's better than having all those beautiful greens tucked away in a box.

I said to the chia yesterday, "you're a beautiful girl". Can the auto sprouter do this? l think not.

Thistle prickle weeds, dandelion weeds, alfalfa, broccoli, chia - a basic snack

These auto sprouters are only basic level stuff. Suitable for most people's needs, but not for full time sproutarians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 08:26PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 06, 2014 08:51PM

Off topic. The jar method for greens is never a good idea. Takes too much time, they never grow to full size because of crowding, they never get free flow of oxygen, they never get equal opportunity for sunlight. Jar green sprouts are like caged hens...they don't thrive because of crowded conditions. In effect, jar sprouts don't have equal opportunity.

You should see the difference between proper tray grown alfalfa and broccoli compared with their jar counterparts, no comparison. You get a much better harvest with tray grown greens over jar greens. Tray greens are always a happier.

Sprouted seeds, grains and legumes can be grown in jars, but never nuts and greens. Sometimes legumes need special attention and need to be done differently if the seeds aren't so good. I find that often my mung beans thrive, but other times during the year the same lot of seeds are almost impossible to grow and need the royal treatment of 100 psi of pressure from filtered energised water. With adzuki it is the same thing.

Beauty to behold - very calming and enjoyable to grow your own food. The plastic is pulled down most of the time to stabilise the environment and help them grow much better. During winter l grow pea shoots on the top in open air. Much better looking at this than keeping them in a box.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 09:02PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables