Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

warnings about spirulina
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 02, 2014 11:01PM

[nutritionfacts.org]

"On his first day of life an infant is hospitalized with seizures. The researchers concluded that his mother's daily spirulina use starting in the 4th month of pregnancy was likely to blame. I've talked previously about the liver and nerve toxins present in many spirulina supplements, but the supplement companies swear up and down that spirulina doesn't produce those toxins and they may be right.

But if spirulina doesn't produce toxins, how is it that toxins are found in spirulina supplements on store shelves? It appears to be contamination of spirulina with toxin-producing blue-green algae.

So, for example, if you look at the new U.S. Pharmacopeia safety evaluation of spirulina, they conclude “the available evidence does not indicate a serious risk to health or other public health concern when spirulina is properly identified, formulated, and used." Ah, but that's the catch. You grow and collect spirulina in some open lake and you have no idea what other algae are going to crop up. The researchers report all sorts of adverse reactions of people taking spirulina products, but they attribute these issues to non-spirulina algae toxin contaminants within spirulina supplements known to be toxic to the liver and cancer-causing. So unless there's third-party testing of each batch, which no company could presumably afford to do, I continue to encourage people to avoid spirulina products."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: warnings about spirulina
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 03, 2014 01:23AM

Should read "Warning for pregnant mothers about spirulina"... infants obviously don't have a developed nervous system, brain, or immune system. Carefully source where you buy your spirulina, don't just walk into any "health" food store and pick one off of the shelf.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: March 04, 2014 08:16AM

when i gave my son sea veggies at a supervised visit he get very sick i have since done allot of research on the dangers of protists

want some videos?

life vs lifelessness

Date: March 04, 2014 08:24AM

Diogenez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when i gave my son sea veggies at a supervised
> visit he get very sick i have since done allot of
> research on the dangers of protists
>
> want some videos?

Might as well post the videos, fill us with all the bad news, and give us seaweed converts all a good old fashioned scare. winking smiley

If you don't mind, I would still like some science on your previous statement that sea veggies are an animal life form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 08:26AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables