Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ok then, smiling smiley why are avocadoes superior to nuts & seeds or coconut?
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 01, 2006 01:45AM

They are all high fat foods. So why do many here gravitate to avocadoes, rather than seeds and coconut?

Nuts and seeds have protein, so I wold think that many more of you would eat more of them.

I'm tying to learn, and I appreciate all your knowlegde and views. I want to be the healthiest I've ever been for 2007.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ok then, smiling smiley why are avocadoes superior to nuts & seeds or coconut?
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:16AM

I really don't like avocadoes, actually... Though it may be because I am incompetent in regards to when to eat them, as well as what I might eat them with.

smiling smiley

Re: Ok then, smiling smiley why are avocadoes superior to nuts & seeds or coconut?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:22AM

I think you've been subjected to some dis-information here. I don't think Avocadoes are superior seeds and coconuts...

Beware, people will spout whatever they think is correct and tell you it's correct for you as well (or most like that everything else is completely wrong other than what they think).

Seeds, nuts, coconuts, avocados, etc. all have there place in the raw foods diet, they are all different and can be useful for different things.

Or maybe it because you can make a bowl out of a coconut shell when you are finished eating, but can't with an avocado.... ;-)

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:37AM

Sodoffsocks, I love that.. making a bowl out of a coconut! And filling it with fruit or salad.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:53AM

Avocado's are also a good source of protein, they supply every essential amino acid.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:14AM

Yes, I agree, they have a much higher protein quality than any nut or seed.

But the overall protein content is lower (per kcal).

They tend to have more vitamins per kcal than nuts/seeds.

Minerals is a draw: some nuts/seeds have more of certain minerals and less, compared to avocado.

Why not include modest quantities of both? Life is short, if you enjoy the taste, do not deprive yourself.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:24AM

Nuts and seeds have been dehydrated. An avocado is fresh. I think this is the main difference. Fresh nuts and seeds are great. They also don't dehydrate you as much as their dehydrated counterparts.

Raw is more than not cooking. An important aspect of raw foods are their freshness. A dehydrated nut or seed may have been sitting on the shelf for months, perhaps years.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:31AM

Bryan,
Soaking nuts and seeds have been advocated on a number of raw foodist webpages, to help rehydrate the nut and make them easier to digest. Soaking may also reduce tannins, but you may loose a little of the minerals. But you are right, its probably not as good as a fresher nut. Hopefully we can make the best with what is available.

Some have suggested purchasing whole raw nuts still in the shell. Its supposed to make it easier to spot a bad nut, and also help keep the nut from going rancid. I got into the habit of soaking whole raw walnuts for a few hours before cracking them open. It made them alot easier to crack, and the moisture content in the nut meat was greatly improved.

Date: December 01, 2006 04:37AM

Rawrr,
I tend to think of each particular type of food as having is own particular benefits unique to itself. Its difficult to say that avocados are superior. They do however provide vitamin c, and I can't say that I know of any nut or seed which is known for having vitamin c. I suppose that some sprouted seeds might have some vitamin c. Nuts however may have to go too long before they produce much vit c. Perhaps folic acid might be higher in avocados. I also find that the type of fiber in avocados tends to be a bit softer than nuts. It could just be by perception.

Nuts and seeds sometimes have toxins and antivitamins in them to keep animals from eating them. Edible fruit usually has very few of these substances, if any to encourage seed dispersal. However, some nuts are low in these substances, such as macs.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:50AM

I can't argue with Byran's freshness point. I think it's a good one. Old and dried food is not as good as something fresh and juicy.

A lot of the "raw" supplements and superfoods are not really raw in spirit. They might have low temp processing but enzyme processing renders the proteins denatured etc.

I would make a minor quibble about incoporating flax for omega3 but in some fruitarians that point would also be moot. But it depends on what they are actually eating. Many sweet fruits have an optimal omega6:3 balance but some do not.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 01, 2006 05:31AM

Mislu makes a good point about the fiber in nuts and seeds versus avocados. A person with IBS or colitis will probably get some irritation of the intestines with the tough insoluble fibers found in nuts and seeds, whereas the soft soluble fiber of an avocado is much gentler on the system.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:41PM

Yes. I agree with the above great posts from Bryan and the others. Avocados tend to be easier on the teeth & digestion - and just seem to present more vitality and sustaining power than dried nuts or unsprouted seeds. Also, I have eaten nothing but fruit for several years...and no nuts for about a year....and I am the healthiest and strongest that I have ever been...or anyone that I know (except perhaps the Fruitarian One! Ha! ha!).

-I have yet to meet the mythical protein deficient American....that did not have some pre-existing eating or medical disorder. For the amount of energy that goes into getting 'adequate protien' it seems ALL out of proportion to any actual instance of protein deficiency....which on a fresh, raw plant food diet....seems to me to be non-existent. Just my experience(s) / opinions.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 01, 2006 03:00PM

For me personally:

I find that Avocado's are fresher than a lot of nuts and seeds. I also find that I feel better after eating Avocado than nuts and seeds, in the sense that they don't seem to slow my digestion as much.

Best thing to do is try different things and see what works best for you, nuts, seeds and avocados can all be good nutrient rich foods. Some people prefer to soak nuts or sprout seeds before consumtion, which means extra prep work.

Date: December 02, 2006 03:42AM

David,
Thats interesting, your fruit only. Is it one where you also eat only the flesh of fruit, and no seeds of the fruit? That would be interesting. Do you have photos online?

Yes, I have a difficult time picturing a protein deficient american. In general americans have overconsumption of everything foodwise. But also overconsumption of non-food items.

I believe people are afraid of protein-energy malnutrition.
[www.healthatoz.com]

Its true its not common in the united states, but it is known to occur, especially amoung the very poor, and also as a secondary condition to other medical problems. Its interesting to note that its not just protein, or energy, but also a general nutritional problem that is usually involved.

I have heard people say that bodybuilders getting ready for a show actually have a type of controlled Marasmus. I believe it, if you look at some professionals their faces are often very, very scary to look at. Some say that they are actually weak in some ways, because they lack adaquate fat padding for vital organs. I have heard of body builders have some life threatening problems with electrolytes.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 02, 2006 04:44AM

Sure. You can check out a few of my pix (along with pictures of the house! LOL) on my profile on eat.rawfood.com: [eat.rawfood.com]

-David Z. Mason

Date: December 02, 2006 05:48AM

Thanks david, very well done site!

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: December 30, 2006 06:04AM

Being a life long resident of the US.... i assure you that i have NO fears of being deprived of Food or Nutrients in general... that being said... rats and mice in sewers have plenty to eat and "survive"....so i tihnk i can make it too if i HAD to...

but i'm going for quality.....

I prefer my fruits and veggies fresh and i LOVE avacados....even the watery underipe avos..... they meet a certain craving sometimes too.....

Avo's are the ONLY thing that stops me from eating popcorn or pasta or tortillas..... or salted roasted macadamia nuts lol

my favorite thing is to slice a banana and avacado u ptogether on a plate and make a caterpillar... kids love it too..... mmmmmmmmmmmm

tiff n twins....

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:48AM

I was just reading in 80/10/10 about the problem with how easily nuts and seeds can go rancid, and how hazardous eating rancid fat is to our health. Also how they actually heated, which also turns the fat toxic.

I hear that fresh macademia nuts are soft like nut butter.. that's an experience I'd LOVE to have!!!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:35PM

If you get them in the shell they should be fine Uma.

Walnuts are my favorite, as well as the only nut (besides macadamians) that have an acceptable Omega 3 to 6 ratio.

Avos have a very low amount of Omega 3 and lots of Omega 6. So if you eat lots of avos and no walnuts, flax or hempseeds, it would be ideal to suppliment with DHA (long chain Omega 3).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables