Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Raw Krishna Consciousness?
Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: December 07, 2014 09:17PM

THe original query of this thread was to find other raw krishna devotees. I have a funny story to share.

I have a friend who has struggled to be all raw for many, many years. His teeth didn't appreciate too much fruit and his energy didn't overflow with too much fat. He greatly admired a raw vegan family and claimed the wife and mother had an all raw vegan pregnancy. We once ate at a krishna temple buffet and there was this all raw mom eating cooked Dahl soup with her all raw toddler. Realizing she had to come clean about the truth, she admitted, "I craved their soup when I was in my later pregnancy." And she said that her daughter really likes the soup there.

The twist is that this woman was co-owner of an all raw vegan restaurant that served breakfast, lunch and dinner. They had wheatgrass juice, e-3 live, fresh sprouts, sauerkraut and a lot of gourmet food at the restaurant. She could have whatever raw food she wanted at her own restaurant, but somehow found herself spoon feeding her daughter the dahl soup.

Well, we were not ones to judge. We were there for the soup, too. In fact, vegans come from miles around for their soup. It's that good. Speaking of raw, though, they have a big raw salad bar with lots of sprouts available.

It was a good thing, though, for my friend to see her eating cooked food, because his thin body responded so well to their soup, and he felt guilty eating it, because it wasn't raw.

Regarding SueZ's comment about Prabupad...what if he believes it is the best diet, even if he doesn't follow it? I have sat and eaten with the famous Michael Cremo at the restaurant and sincerely feel sorry for the dairy he eats. He seems so plugged up. What if Prabupad sees the misery of his suffering disciples and knows a better way, but just goes along with the tradition of Indian dairy? In any case, the buffet has a big V for vegan on their cooked dishes, because some have dairy. It kind of reminds me of Charlotte Gerson trashing animal foods, but admitting to eating non-fat milk products daily.

No surprise there, it is said that many high-profile raw vegans lie about their diets and eat cooked food and even meat on the sly. This doesn't do anybody any good because all they are doing is perpetrating a diet that obviously doesn't work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 08, 2014 12:16AM

To living food,
there is a second part to my story:

After it became apparent that the wife ate cooked food, it also came out that the husband of the restaurant also ate cooked food and pretty soon, they changed the all raw menu to also having a cooked vegan menu, as well. There is something about cooked starch....McDougall has said it best.

My critique of their all raw menu was that it was too high in raw nuts (soaked sometimes but not fermented) and oils. I loved their menu, but I didn't eat there a lot. Before they incorporated cooked food and before it came out that the owners ate cooked, one day I helped a young man who was an employee at one of their raw restaurants. He was suffering from severe fatigue and had to quit his classes at the local city college because of it. He had been eating a high fat raw vegan diet, mainly learned from the restaurant he worked at. I helped him with a low fat diet and herbals for his liver and gallbladder and before long he was well and enrolled in a 4-year college, scoring high and staying on a vegetarian diet. I saw how a high fat raw diet can actually be debilitating when one might be suffering from a sluggish liver and gallbladder and a lingering viral infection. Maybe if the restaurant owners had perfected the vegan seed cheeses of Ann Wigmore, higher fat wouldn't have been so bad for them and their employees.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 08, 2014 12:33AM

"Regarding SueZ's comment about Prabupad...what if he believes it is the best diet, even if he doesn't follow it?"

I would consider that less probable than the guy in the video making things up or misunderstanding what was said for his "benefit" alone instead of as being universally applicable as he might take it. I'm sure it sounded good to him as it fit seamlessly into his own life story mythos and agenda. Not that I would trust Prabhupada anymore than any other cult leader who depended on a large workforce crew of true believers to make their own trip happen.

Date: December 08, 2014 12:37AM

"There is something about cooked starch" ...

Yea, there is. It sucks.

Date: December 08, 2014 01:14AM

I saw how a high fat raw diet can actually be debilitating when one might be suffering from a sluggish liver and gallbladder and a lingering viral infection. Maybe if the restaurant owners had perfected the vegan seed cheeses of Ann Wigmore, higher fat wouldn't have been so bad for them and their employees.

Yes, large quantities of vegetable oils and soaked nuts are bad news. Nuts should never be eaten only soaked, they should be either sprouted or fermented at the very least and ideally both. The same thing applies to seeds, although if you are having a lot of seeds you should eat some meals only sprouted so you don't overdo the ferments.

Sprouted and fermenting your nuts/seeds will prevent the issues you listed, and there are many things we can do to improve the functioning of the liver and gallbladder. Sprouted green juices are at the top of the list, and fenugreek sprout juice is a brilliant tonic for both the digestion and the liver. A high fat diet can have many serious drawbacks if done incorrectly, but if done correctly and with the proper protections in place (sprouting, ferments, green sprout juices, etc) we can make it work much better than a low fat vegan diet for most people.

Date: December 08, 2014 01:16AM

Gourmet raw is good for introducing new people to a raw vegan diet, but it is a travesty in my opinion because it leads to people eating improperly prepared unfresh foods in bad combinations.

Date: December 08, 2014 01:18AM

Living Food Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw how a high fat raw diet can actually be
> debilitating when one might be suffering from a
> sluggish liver and gallbladder and a lingering
> viral infection. Maybe if the restaurant owners
> had perfected the vegan seed cheeses of Ann
> Wigmore, higher fat wouldn't have been so bad for
> them and their employees.
>
> Yes, large quantities of vegetable oils and soaked
> nuts are bad news. Nuts should never be eaten only
> soaked, they should be either sprouted or
> fermented at the very least and ideally both. The
> same thing applies to seeds, although if you are
> having a lot of seeds you should eat some meals
> only sprouted so you don't overdo the ferments.
>
> Sprouted and fermenting your nuts/seeds will
> prevent the issues you listed, and there are many
> things we can do to improve the functioning of the
> liver and gallbladder. Sprouted green juices are
> at the top of the list, and fenugreek sprout juice
> is a brilliant tonic for both the digestion and
> the liver. A high fat diet can have many serious
> drawbacks if done incorrectly, but if done
> correctly and with the proper protections in place
> (sprouting, ferments, green sprout juices, etc) we
> can make it work much better than a low fat vegan
> diet for most people.

In my experience this is pure baloney.

Date: December 08, 2014 01:36AM

Which part are you referring too?

Date: December 08, 2014 01:52AM

Why, just the quoted part.

Date: December 08, 2014 02:25AM

Why, just the quoted part.

Haha. Perhaps you can understand my confusion, as that would imply you have gone through a period of sprouting + fermenting your seeds and nuts while drinking large quantities of fresh green sprout juices, including but not limited to fenugreek sprout juice *cheeky grin*

You gave me another good laugh with that reply haha smiling smiley

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables