Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nuts & Seeds During Transition..
Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: April 03, 2014 03:55PM

I am on day 5 transitioning to Raw and I can't stop eating nuts and seeds.. I just ate a third of a jar of sesame tahini (I think my body must really need the calcium because I have been craving tahini for days).

I guess I just want opinions on using so many nuts/seeds during transiton. What was your experience? I love fruit and am eating lots but I seem to need the heaviness of the nuts/seeds.

I am also eating huge salads for dinner and have had two vegan cooked meals over the week too.

Should I just go with it or do I need to be concerned?

Thanking you in advance for any support.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nuts & Seeds During Transition..
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 03, 2014 04:22PM

Be concerned about what? That you are craving too much fat? Fat stops detox and if you are upping your watery raw food intake, it would make sense that you would turn to fats. And you are right, they are also satiating.

Do you watch videos by raw fooders? Most of them seemed to start with a higher intake of plant fat and gradually were able to lower it in time when their bodies got used to the new foods.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: April 03, 2014 04:36PM

That's fine, getting comfortable on 100% raw may take quite a while, but it's a rewarding experience. Your body may be craving minerals and healthy fats that were lacking from your previous diet, which could explain why you can't stop eating nuts and seeds. Same concept with eating a lot, the reason you're eating so much is likely from a previous diet which left you starved for nutrients. Also, if you're used to eating a certain amount of calories, which are high in nuts/seeds, you could be using them to match the caloric intake of your previous diet. The longer you go raw, the less you need to eat to feel satisfied. You may want to consider adding algae's (such as chlorella, spirulina, marine phytoplankton, hydrilla) and sea vegetables to not only help detox but to nutritionally balance out the diet.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 04, 2014 06:36AM

In my experience, nuts and seeds have been an essential component of a sustainable raw food diet, although yes, it's not so good to eat too much.

Nuts and seeds have much more to offer than just healthy fats. They are also a nutrient-dense source of many essential minerals that are otherwise sometimes difficult to access on a raw food diet.

FYI, tahini is not really so high in calcium, because most of the calcium is in the hull, which is usually removed when making the tahini. If you toss out the tahini and just eat brown unhulled sesame seeds instead, you will probably eat less and have more calcium. There is more calcium in 1/4 cup of whole (brown) sesame seeds than in 1 cup of milk.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 04, 2014 11:22AM

I also don't attribute it to calcium but to fat and calories

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: April 04, 2014 12:08PM

Good Morning!

Thank you so much everyone for your input!
Interesting about the Tahini. I bet it IS my body just wanting the calories. I should have mentioned I am overweight.. needing to lose about 75 pounds. I am sure my body is needing/wanting the extra fat and calories.

I guess I just wondered what everyone else's experience was when transitioning and I feel more assured I am doing ok for now!

I appreciate everyone's taking the time to post so much!

I already feel so much better. My energy is amazing. I am enjoying the fruit so much too. I had been "afraid" of fruit because of the calories and sugar and it feels incredible to enjoy a banana and OMG the payaya I have been getting is luscious! I feel very decadent and almost indulgent.

I hope it's ok to post often. I think that not becoming a part of this community and really asking for help when I needed it had a lot to do with why I failed last Summer.

Thank you again.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 04, 2014 02:22PM

Yeah i prob ate at least a couplecups of nuts per week when transitioning

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: April 05, 2014 08:29PM

DaisyHair, post all you want every one here will be happy to help out. Most people do feel the need to eat a lot of nuts and seeds when first on the diet. Even Brian Clement said that he was eating so many nuts in the beginning that he was giving himself hemorrhoids lol. I ate maybe more than any one I know of for a long time. I feel they give me great energy but there is a lot of fat in them so if you start having issues taper back.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 06, 2014 11:36PM

Everyone overeats nuts in the beginning. As long as you are satisfied. Its important to keep hunger away. Try making lots of juices and smoothies too and maybe some raw food pies or raw restaurant fare at first. You work your way to lighter fruits. Your body is changing inside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables