Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hair no conditioner / need detangling advise
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 12, 2014 04:05AM

i have straight hair but lots of it

i'm using dr bronners soap as shampoo

but no conditioner

problem is hair gets very tangled up

so its hard to untease with the brush

what do others use instead of conditioner

anything natural i can put in a bottle of water ( like some essential oils or something)

and spray in my hair to detangle it?

what do others use instead of conditioner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair no conditioner / need detangling advise
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: April 12, 2014 01:20PM

Well since you're still using that Dr. Bonners crap to wash your hair you're probably not going to listen to me on this hairy subject either but who knows.

Anyway, my hair is waist length and what I do is to make sure there are no tangles in my hair before I washing it and then wash it in the shower where the job can get done, without much displacement, from above. Then I run a big comb with very widely spaced teeth through it. Then I dry it off by squeezing a towel around it, without agitation, until it no longer drips. I wait to use a brush until my hair is dry. Brushes stretch and break wet hair and I avoid split ends by using this hair washing method.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: April 13, 2014 02:43PM

I also while my hair is wet in the shower run a comb thru it.

But for a conditioner I use a little olive oil on my hands applied to the wet hair right when I get out of the shower. Then comb thru. Works well.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 13, 2014 03:27PM

Why are you using Dr. Bronner's???? It dried the sh*t out of my hair so I don't use it anymore.

I use Tea Tree Tingle by Trader Joe's. Seems very mild. I don't use conditioner anymore. What you can do is deep condition it with coconut oil and with subsequent shampoos it will be naturally softer and therefore with less tangles. I have thick, coarse hair and have found that eliminating commercial shampoos and conditioners have made it so I don't need conditioner at all. I don't put "product" in my hair, either. Hair spray and other such things are usually alcohol-based and drying to the hair.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: April 13, 2014 08:38PM

Dreadlocks is the way to go...It's what the hair wants to do naturally anyway winking smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 13, 2014 08:44PM

Dr Bronners works for me smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 13, 2014 09:19PM

I have long straight hair, too, and use 100% Pure shampoo and conditioner or Acure Organics. (the vegan ones) Usually shower twice a day. Only shampoo once a day. Condition both showers/twice a day.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: April 15, 2014 03:21PM

Year, Dr. Bronner's is very drying for hair, no wonder it would tangle. I use apple vinegar rinse after shampooing, it leaves hair shiny and soft. Then when the hair is dry, I rub just a a drop of some oil ( usually coconut) between my palms and run them through my hair. My hair is long and straight too.

Date: April 15, 2014 09:43PM

geez everyone
thanks for all the advice
much appreciated

okay.. so i guess i was not imagining that dr. bronner's was very drying
but the thing is. it seems like it is the cleanest
i did the clay thing but that was even MORE drying

littlemermaid

maybe i'll try the apple vinegar rinse too after shampoo
coconut sounds good
will it create a build up though?

hey suez

<<Well since you're still using that Dr. Bonners crap to wash your hair you're probably not going to listen to me on this hairy subject either but who knows. >>

yep, i am using the dr. bronners. because the clay thing that i experimented on was really drying. and i wanted my hair to feel clean clean clean. u use that herbal shampoo from nature's gate. right? sometimes i use that too but it has more ingredients than i care for and not all the best either. anyhoo

so u use a wide toothed comb while it is wet, huh?
i never thought of that
i have so much hair
that i never thought of using a comb

okay thanks for the tip
maybe i'll try it out
the rest of it sounds logical

banana who

<<Why are you using Dr. Bronner's???? It dried the sh*t out of my hair so I don't use it anymore. >>

HA HA!! I'm using it cuz it has the cleanest ingredients. other shampoos and conditioners always have some other weird ingredients with like 10 letters in them
i could write a list but u probably have seen them all lolsmiling smiley

trader joe tea tree oil shampoo
i mighta used that once or twice a long while ago

refresh my memory
what's in it?

are the ingredients better than bronner's

well how do u deep condition with coconut?
any steps?
am interested

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:48PM

<<<<littlemermaid
maybe i'll try the apple vinegar rinse too after shampoo
coconut sounds good
will it create a build up though? >>>>

Coconut won't create build up, if you use just 1-2 drops ( depends on your hair length). Rub it between you palms, they should be just a little bit shiny, not greasy, and just run your palms over your hair.
Vinegar rinse has a clarifying qualtity too, so any build up from anything should be taken care of, if you use it regularly. Vinegar normalizes the PH of your hair too, besides all the other good things.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 18, 2014 08:24PM

la_veronique,

You could keep using Dr Bronners but then add a conditioner. A conditioner can be made with a small glass of warm water with a little of stirred oil like almond (thin), avocado (thick), evening primrose (thin), coconut (thick). You could rotate them too.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 18, 2014 08:33PM

I don't have the bottle on me at the moment. I tend to like to switch things up so I am always buying another brand at the end of the current one and I know when something is good when I go back to it again and again.

If someone has oily hair, it's possible that Dr. B's might even improve their situation. I am assuming that LV is like me and that's why it gets tangled.

What I did was put coconut oil after washing my hair when it's still wet. Massage it in good and put on a bandana and leave it on there for at least 24 hours.

Date: April 18, 2014 10:23PM

littlemermaid panchito bananawho

thanks for the tips
they are cool

will see what happens

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables