Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you use nuts or seeds in smoothies?
Posted by: Numenor ()
Date: May 17, 2014 05:26PM

If so how much do you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you use nuts or seeds in smoothies?
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 17, 2014 05:48PM

Numenor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If so how much do you use?

I don't really make smoothies anymore but I've never (and still wouldn't) used nuts or seeds in them. Mixing nuts/seeds with fruit is a recipe for fermentation. Fruit digests much quicker and will ferment mixed together with nuts/seeds, which can disrupt healthy gut bacteria and cause gas/bloating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 05:49PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 17, 2014 06:30PM

I use some flax seeds or chia in moothies to boost the omega 3s. Don't get caught in theoretical ego trap. If adding seeds don't have negative effects on you, then go for it.

Date: May 17, 2014 06:49PM

Check out this video for some great info regarding food combining:

[www.youtube.com] (Lecture starts at 3:45)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 06:50PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 18, 2014 06:10PM

Panchito Wrote:
> I use some flax seeds or chia in moothies to boost
> the omega 3s. Don't get caught in theoretical ego
> trap. If adding seeds don't have negative effects
> on you, then go for it.

I agree with Panchito, although I don't know that it's ego. Maybe thinking everyone has the same constitution? In any case, I think chia and flax in small quantities would be okay. I have used shelled hemp seeds myself. I have a large quantity of chia that I have barely touched so thanks for this topic because I need to start using it. Although from what I have read, chia is very shelf stable.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 18, 2014 10:37PM

maybe veggie plus seeds smoothie ( no fruit)

that's good

just gotta change your idea of what a "smoothie" is

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:05AM

Maybe 1 to 2 tablespoons of a certain type of nut or seed per 32 oz.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: May 19, 2014 10:47PM

In my smoothies, I like to put:
- two tablespoons of flax seed
- 1 banana
- 1 handful of spinach/kale/arugula
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes
- few chunks of pineapple
- 1 cup of water

...and blend it up in a nutri-bullet.

Doesn't seem to give me troubles.

Date: May 19, 2014 11:00PM

When one is coming from a SAD, improper food combinations aren't really going to be as noticeable right away (even years) because your intestinal tract is used to far worse foods... things like cooked foods, meats, very bad combinations (like spaghetti & meatballs, pizza, etc). However, if you've been following a raw diet and proper food combining for a long time, and then start doing something like combining fruit with nuts/seeds or drinking a lot of smoothies, it would likely affect you more.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 20, 2014 08:52PM

agree with jtprindl

if u mix a bunch of nuts with fruit after combining properly for a while...

you'll kind of feel like u just swallowed a little brick lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: mattscr ()
Date: May 20, 2014 11:35PM

I make the green smoothie and then just throw a few walnuts in there and some raisins. And chew! grinning smiley Fat is good in a smoothie because it helps you absorb the beta carotene, lutein and fat soluble vitamins.

-------------------------------------------
My blog: [www.crvitality.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 11:36PM by mattscr.

Posted by: Naza ()
Date: May 23, 2014 10:07AM

I do add nuts on my smoothies and the amount depends on my taste.

Almonds and cashews are my favourites

Get Fit from Within
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

[www.nazafit.com.au]

Posted by: Niick ()
Date: May 26, 2014 10:38PM

I use to wonder whether it was good idea to put nuts or seeds into my smoothies. Ann Wigmore's energy soups where kind of similar to a smoothie and she would add avocado which is a good fat. Made me wonder why she didn't use other omega sources like nuts and seeds for more of a variety. She only used certain fruits however, like apple or papaya that which mix well with the other stuff.

I think she was trying to make complete meals with her energy soups by combining a fruit, leafy greens, sprouts, sea vegetible (like kelp or dulse), avocado, and rejuvelac.

Lately, I have been trying to somewhat take her approach. I think that a lot of people put way too much fruit in their smoothies. Like Brien Clement says - fruit these days have 30% more sugar in them than they use to. So I usually only use one peice of fruit in a smoothie - two at the most.

I often eat my sea vegetables as a snack later in the day because they kind of suck in a smoothie. But occassional I cut up some kelp and put in the smoothie. Kelp is thick and i don't like eating it by itself.

Rejuvelac can also ruin a smoothie, so sometimes I drink that apart from my smoothie.

I do put nuts or seeds in my smoothies. But, I only use one at a time. I don't mix them. Seeds that I use - ground flax, chia, sunflower, hemp, pumpkin, ground sesame. I use 2 tsp of any of those in a smoothie.

If I go with a nut I use almond butter, peanut butter (from the health store with no added sugar), pecans, walnuts. I just kind of measure with my hand. I fill my hand twice, but not all the way full.

Sometimes I use avocado or olive oil for good fat instead of nuts or seeds. But, I'm always careful what fruit I mix with nuts and seeds. I mostly use apple, banana, pears - I think they mix better.

My favorite smoothie is 1 cup of almond milk, 1 banana, 2 tsp of peanut butter, hand full of leafy greens. Kind of reminds me of a peanut butter shake, but I guess it is a bad mixture because it always gives me gas. sad smiley

Date: May 26, 2014 11:01PM

Niick Wrote:
> Ann Wigmore's
> energy soups where kind of similar to a smoothie
> and she would add avocado which is a good fat.
> Made me wonder why she didn't use other omega
> sources like nuts and seeds for more of a variety.

She did use nuts and seeds. It depended on what type of energy soup she was making.

Also, she used to have many meals of nuts and seed cheeses etc, but she seemed to give most of those up as she got older and seemed to eat a more of a high water diet like weeds, grasses, sprouts and fruit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables