Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

calcium
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 26, 2014 08:35PM

what's everyone's best food source for calcium

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calcium
Date: May 26, 2014 10:01PM

Best food sources of calcium are various things, but well known foods are:

* sprouted poppy seeds (well over 1,000 mg per 100 gram of dried seed...also highest land source of zinc)
* sprouted sesame seeds (ranges from 650 mg - 1,250 mg per 100 grams)
* sprouted chia (can get up to 650 mg per 100 gram)

* hydrilla algae = roughly 13,00 mg per 100 gram, so only need a teaspoon.

Herbs can be high in calcium too.

Since l cannot currently get sesame, my main sources are hydrilla and chia, and l top up with green juices and other foods to get the rest.

Date: May 26, 2014 10:36PM

And that is the kicker. Are you getting rda for zinc and calcium? And if you aren't, how do you think you are going to make up EPA and DHA efficiently???

Remember that zinc is highly inorganic and needs conversion via enzymatic processes, so we need lots of it on a vegan diet and we need good quantities of other minerals to aid the digestion of these minerals. A simple good omega 3 ratio will never do. I think many vegans will head for long term disaster on this diet if these issues aren't addressed. Been raw for 30 years and been successful? So what! Dementia can hit you in old age, and vegans are a big target for this imo.

Getting enough iron? It's perhaps the most inorganic and poorly absorbed mineral. You think 100% rda is enough on a raw vegan diet? But it is poorly absorbed, so watch out. Need good iron absorption to keep copper levels in check. If you have too much copper, then fix the problem.

Are fruits and vegetables enough to provide good flora via disachharide sugars (*prebiotics) to aid absorption of minerals? In many cases, obviously not.

What about low fat diets? They can disrupt uptake of minerals too.

What about low amino acid/protein diets? Those can disrupt the uptake of minerals too, and EPA/DHA conversion can be disrupted too.

We eat so crude, and we are so scared of fat, protein and acids. Things can be done to make vegan diets much better so the nutrients can work for us better. Get into the acids and don't be scared of anti nutrient effects...do something to fix it. Break down the protein. Break down the fats and have more monounsaturated fats.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 27, 2014 06:15AM

greens, everything i eat has calcium

Date: May 27, 2014 08:37AM

i like broccoli and kale

sproutman

thanks for the sesame seed reminder

utopian

greens are good

but for sure there are lots of things to take into consideration

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 27, 2014 06:57PM

Moringa leaves are also said to be quite high in calcium.

Date: May 27, 2014 09:18PM

jtprindl

where do u get fresh moringa leaves
r they tasty
can u put them in a salad?

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 27, 2014 09:41PM

I wouldn't know, never had them, I'm sure you can put them on a salad though. If I had access to fresh moringa leaves, I'd probably juice them though.

Date: May 27, 2014 09:46PM

Isn't it interesting how some vegans go back to meat and their teeth health improves, hence the studies l posted above adressing protein and mineralisation. I am not saying to eat flesh by any means, but it is very interesting to think how it seems to help some vegans on poor diets improve their health.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:37AM

high calcium intake may be counterproductive. calcium is regulated by the thyroid/parathyroid glands. Bones are just the calcium bank.

check out these links:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.parathyroid.com]

5 mins video:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables