Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is this a better way to grow wheatgrass?
Posted by: Niick ()
Date: May 26, 2014 11:17PM

I've been thinking about growing my own wheatgrass. I read somewhere that there are hundreds of different kinds of grasses and that they are all edible. Although that kind of conflicts with other sources which say that some grasses are poisonous. Does anybody know for sure?

I also read somewhere that you could also just juice the grass in your own yard because they all have similar health benefits. Supposedly wheatgrass in particular became so popular over the other grasses because of how easy it is to grow, how fast it grows, it's nutrient rich, and it taste better than a lot of other grass. But, correct me if that's wrong - there could be another reason.

First I thought I'd just juice the grass in my yard, but I'm currently staying with my dad and he mows the grass down to nothing. sad smiley

But, it got me thinking. Why do people grow their wheatgrass in cafeteria trays? If you do that you have to keep getting new soil all the time and replant the seeds. Why don't people just get a big 1 foot deep plant pot and plant their wheatgrass in that? Wouldn't that keep you from having to keep getting new soil and replanting the seeds all the time? Then it would be like the grass in your yard which just keeps growing back every time you cut it, right? seems like much less work, but why aren't people doing that? Is there some reason why that's not a good idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this a better way to grow wheatgrass?
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 26, 2014 11:50PM

I definitely wouldn't juice grass from lawns. Although I have not researched this thoroughly, I'm quite positive that grass from your yard doesn't have anywhere near the nutritional profile or health benefits of wheatgrass. Also, it could be contaminated by pesticides and all sorts of pollution from rain water. Even if your lawn isn't treated with chemicals and you have neighbors nearby who do so, the chemicals can find their way onto your property underground.

You use new soil/seeds to optimize nutrition in your grass. After your first harvest, wheatgrass will have only a fraction of what was in the first batch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 11:51PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Niick ()
Date: May 29, 2014 11:40PM

Yeah, that's one reason I thought it would be better to grown my own grass inside - so I don't have to worry about pesticides, insects, and polluted rain water.

So, the reason people use like a half inch of soil on their tray and keep replacing it is to keep the nutrients at maximum levels. What about using 3 or 4 inches of soil and just adding nutrients to the soil every two weeks. Mix the nutrients with the water somehow and put them in while watering. And then you could use the same soil for like a year and then switch it out for some new soil. Would that work?

I don't like the idea of having to keep buing seeds and soil, and having to keep replanting it all the time.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 30, 2014 01:05AM

I'm a big fan of organic wild grass juice which I get in my yard and cut with stuff like cucumbers and celery. I am not a fan of domesticated ag wheat grass.

Why would wheat grass, which has been messed with agriculturally for thousands of years with no regard placed on the taste or nutrition of it's grasses' juice, be more nutritious or better tasting than wild grass? Think about it. Times up - yep, that's right, there is no reason. Now find some wild grass from a good source and taste the difference so you will understand the truth and never forget it.

Date: May 31, 2014 12:10PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a big fan of organic wild grass juice which I
> get in my yard and cut with stuff like cucumbers
> and celery. I am not a fan of domesticated ag
> wheat grass.
>
> Why would wheat grass, which has been messed
> with agriculturally for thousands of years with no
> regard placed on the taste or nutrition of it's
> grasses' juice, be more nutritious or better
> tasting than wild grass? Think about it. Times up
> - yep, that's right, there is no reason. Now find
> some wild grass from a good source and taste the
> difference so you will understand the truth and
> never forget it.

Here's a good video that shows you don't even need a juicer to benefit. I don't see any reason to invest in a nut milk bag though. I use the bigger version of them which are marketed as "paint strainer bags". They are not only big enough to use easily with buckets but they are much cheaper, too. They should be available anywhere house painting supplies are sold.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 31, 2014 04:23PM

Is seed messed with to produce juicier wheat grass juicier than wild grasses? Sure but wild grasses are far less labor intensive and cost nothing. Just collect more of the wild grasses to juice.

Date: June 18, 2014 11:07PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is seed messed with to produce juicier wheat grass
> juicier than wild grasses? Sure but wild grasses
> are far less labor intensive and cost nothing.
> Just collect more of the wild grasses to juice.

Chlorophyll is chlorophyll.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables