Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Meeting protein needs on 80/10/10 without exceeding 10% fat
Posted by: sunfooddan ()
Date: May 27, 2014 11:57AM

Hello i have recently switched my raw vegan diet to the 80/10/10 about two weeks ago and im using a calculator online to track my progress of which unless im using dates and bananas in two of my meals im finding it hard to reach 2500 calories when have a third meal as a salad and also without going well over 10% fat im finding im no where near reaching my protein needs.. Can anyone give me any advise please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meeting protein needs on 80/10/10 without exceeding 10% fat
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 27, 2014 12:00PM

Switch back.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 27, 2014 04:06PM

eat more greens.

eat 1/4 c. nuts per day (don't cut out overts)

i do NOT advise only bananas and dates and a small romaine salad at night. you need more greens. kale, chard, collards, spinach, dandelion.

eat sprouts

eat zucchini, tomatoes (higher in protein than other fruit)

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 27, 2014 04:12PM

Question your protein assumptions

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 27, 2014 04:59PM

Sprouts/grass juice and algae's will provide you with the highest-quality bioavailable protein-building amino acids you can get. You don't need to follow the naïve 80/10/10 Natural Hygiene diet, this is a close-minded and flawed concept that can run many people into serious health problems in the long-run. Plus, there is no scientific evidence which proves raw plant-based fats are unhealthy.

Date: May 27, 2014 09:18PM

sunfooddan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello i have recently switched my raw vegan diet
> to the 80/10/10 about two weeks ago and im using a
> calculator online to track my progress of which
> unless im using dates and bananas in two of my
> meals im finding it hard to reach 2500 calories
> when have a third meal as a salad and also without
> going well over 10% fat im finding im no where
> near reaching my protein needs.. Can anyone give
> me any advise please?

Are you an active person with exercise?

There appears to be many folks who have problems on the diet and fail. Some even go into poor health following 80-10-10. Lots of info online from people who said 80-10-10 was a disaster for their health.

I am not saying to avoid this diet, for that is not my place, but l say to check out the diet well and make up your own mind. Read up on the problems people have had with that diet, and read up on why it's guru has been consistently losing respect because of the problems people have with the diet. You don't want to go down the same path of failure many go down, so study the good and bad of the diet.

Can 80-10-10 work? I think for the minority of people it can, but for many it is hard to make work well without having to eat cooked and animal products occasionally on the side. Be careful....sometimes diets have teeth and can bite you.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 27, 2014 10:28PM

On 80-10-10, 10% of calories from protein is the maximum. If you only achieve 5% protein, that's OK.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 27, 2014 10:33PM

Can you do a micronutrient calculator for a few days and see as well? Have you read 80/10/10? Its suggestions are quite different than banana-date smoothies, IMO.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: May 28, 2014 10:25AM

[cronometer.com]

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: sunfooddan ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:05PM

I had thought about adding greens to each meal but i am bit concerned about oxalic acid binding to magnesium as i really need as much magnesium as possible in my diet at the moment without anything stopping the absorption.. Thoughts on this?

No i am currently not that active sproutarian but only as i haven't had enough energy recently but as soon as i do i will be more active.

Yes i use a micronutrient calculator daily and i seem to be improving with this diet as with swapping to any different type of eating it takes time to get use to making the right meals. I am currently around 85/10/05 so i guess im fine then?

Also has anyone here rid themself of candida with a raw diet? researched of people doing so but wondered if anyone had here? smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2014 10:01PM

sunfooddan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had thought about adding greens to each meal but
> i am bit concerned about oxalic acid binding to
> magnesium as i really need as much magnesium as
> possible in my diet at the moment without anything
> stopping the absorption.. Thoughts on this?

First, there is no science literature that proves oxalic acid binding to calcium, iron and magnesium etc with raw greens. With cooked foods it can be a completely different story depending on the ratio of oxalic acid - magnesium/calcium/iron levels. Eg, cooked Kale has oxalic acid, but no calcium binding will occur. With cooked spinach calcium binding will be 100%. In sum, the science literature states there is no evidence of oxalic acid binding, none-the-less, excess raw oxalic acid can still cause problems.

If you are still worries about it, here are some solutions to reduce it via sulfated polysachharide sugars and bacteria.
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

>
> No i am currently not that active sproutarian but
> only as i haven't had enough energy recently but
> as soon as i do i will be more active.

Depending on how the diet is done, the high calories from fruit could be a problem when one doesn't do enough exercise on the 80-10-10 diet because people may not burn off the sugars which can lead to various issues. Some possible issues are pointed out on post 5 of this thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Best to see how you feel and not worry, but l recommend and take those vital brown seaweeds and ferments for protection against some of those phytochemicals (oxalic acid) and indigestable proteins (lectins) etc.

I only state these potential issues in case you decide to do a high fruit/oxalic acid greens diet in the long term. If you only do 80-10-10 for a month it shouldn't be a problem.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 10:08PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:13PM

Emphasis low oxalic acid greens such as romaine, broccoli, kale, collards, arugula and limit high oxalic acid greens like chard, spinach and beet greens to no more than 1/3 of total greens. Shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables