Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Leonardo Da Vinci a Fruitarian - what did he eat?
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 06, 2006 01:23AM

Fruitarian Leonardo DaVinci: an analysis of his notebooks indicates he ate no flesh. He was a fruitarian (as recorded in his notebooks) and the genius was also the strongest man in Florence, says a biographer.

[dc.indymedia.org]

I think this is the book being cited
Vegetarianism: A Way of Life by Dudley Giehl

[www.amazon.com]

I wonder what he would have eaten in Italy as a fruitarian, any ideas?

I'm guessing olives, grapes, melons, figs and dates and probably not tomatoes, bananas, orages or mangos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 01:27AM by tropical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leonardo Da Vinci a Fruitarian - what did he eat?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:44AM

That was one of the most disorganized websites I've seen in awhile.

I'd like to see some references for the claims they are making.

Date: December 06, 2006 02:50AM

Some amazing claims there.

Such as "Fruit produces 400,000 lbs. per acre"!! In how many centuries??

Fruit is awesome and no doubt it has a lower environmental impact than beef or chicken (especially if eat local fruit as opposed to fruit shipped thousands of miles).

Some very suspect claims though. Also, why must they bring God into the argument, when someone must appeal to divine approval it makes their argument look very weak. I'd say, if you want to base your life or diet on any of those claims you should check around to some peer reviewed sources (and read some biographies) to see if they stand up under scrutiny.

Good luck on your jounrey though. smiling smiley

Date: December 06, 2006 03:38AM

What's with all this Fruitarian stuff all of a sudden?

And does it really matter that much what someone eats?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 03:39AM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 06, 2006 03:48AM

"What's with all this Fruitarian stuff all of a sudden?"
- human curiosity

"And does it really matter that much what someone eats?"
- it seems it does (otherwise this board would not exist)

smiling smiley
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 06, 2006 04:16AM

Narz,
Thats a great point, for awhile in my teenage years I ate only wheat, because of some scripture that said, "wheat for man". Looking back I see this as some small evidence that the faith was wrong. Its a small thing, seemingly innocent, because most people don't make much of it. But if your young and impressionable, you take things as stated. It is an important point, because many people have allergies to wheat, and gluten intolerance. In addition, one can live life perfectly healthy without ever eating a single grain of wheat.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 06, 2006 06:23AM

I have heard that before, that he was. That is based on his journals. He may have been for a short while but I think he was mainly vegetarian animal rights..Gandhi was for a while too and so were alot of famous people, like the guy who invented Apple computers as well not for long though..

I am going to see the Mona Lisa again this weekend at the Louvre, anyone want to come? We can ask her.

I think it matters if some famous people eat the way we do because well, it brings attetion, makes it more normal to others if someone famous does it.People thinkraw foodists and fruitarians are fringe people, they are impressed when someone admirable eats like us..and are more likely to try it out.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 06:37AM by coconutcream.

Date: December 06, 2006 06:20PM

Narz: I think you are right about 400,000 pounds per acre being unfeasible.

A record banana yield in Hawaii averaged 13,800 pounds per acre

grape trivia One Acre of land AVERAGES: Five (5) tons of grapes which is 10,000 pounds

10,135 pounds of cherries

32,680 pounds of apples

11,800 pounds of cranberries

40,000 pounds of Grapefruit

Watermelon comes the closest, at the bottom of page 3 it says that they had yeilds from 58,100 to 93,900 pounds.

[www.ncmelons.com]

I think the 400,000 was a wild estimate of how much fruit you could get from an acre if you planted several levels of fruit together (trees, bushes and vines). I still think that is too high, maybe you could get 50,000 pounds
but not 400,000.

Coconutcream: Do ask her for me! I'd love to hear what a little chat with the Mona Lisa would reveal :-)

Date: December 06, 2006 07:54PM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's with all this Fruitarian stuff all of a
> sudden?
>
> And does it really matter that much what someone
> eats?

If it doesn't why did you choose the username you did?

Date: December 06, 2006 08:31PM

Narz Wrote:
> The Fruitarian One Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's with all this Fruitarian stuff all of a
> > sudden?
> >
> > And does it really matter that much what
> someone
> > eats?
>
>
> If it doesn't why did you choose the username you
> did?

Coz I wanted to.....

Posted by: longtimeraw ()
Date: December 06, 2006 08:44PM

DaVinci a fruitarian? Seems highly unlikely. Back in his times they had fewer kinds of fruits to eat (as fruit propagation is an ongoing science and fruits are spread by trade) than they do now. Back then, Europe had no American-origin plants: tomatoes, blueberries, papayas, pineapples, potatoes, corn. They did not have refrigerated fruit shipped in from Asia or Africa. Instead, fruit would be strictly seasonal (or dried), and scarce.

The 400,000 pounds/acre also seems like wishful thinking. This reminds me of the pro-hemp crowd that claims that one can grow hemp on poor land and get high yields, indefinitely. Not so: diminishing returns applies. If you take 400K of biomass out of the soil in a year, you better replenish it with an equivalent amount via mulching, composting, and other sustainable farming techniques. If you don't, you won't get 400K next year!

Date: December 06, 2006 10:42PM

Narz Wrote:
> The Fruitarian One Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's with all this Fruitarian stuff all of a
> > sudden?
> >
> > And does it really matter that much what
> someone
> > eats?
>
>
> If it doesn't why did you choose the username you
> did?

Coz I wanted to.....

Ha ha! Oh, why did you want to? smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 06, 2006 11:33PM

Because!

Date: December 07, 2006 12:51AM

Because why?

Date: December 07, 2006 01:54AM

Looks like they may be able to figure it out soon tropical

News Story : [hosted.ap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2006 01:55AM by Narz.

Date: December 07, 2006 09:39PM

Longtimeraw, I'm kind of with you in the difficuly that he might have faced in being a fruitarian in the winter, I'm sure though that as a vegan, fruit would have been a big part of his diet.

That was soooo interesting Narz, thanks for finding it. So they are going to try to find out what he ate by examining the 400 year old traces left on his notebooks from him eating while he worked. I can't wait.

Now being a fruitarian does not make you a genius, but I wonder, if Da Vinci had not been into veganism would he have been less of a genius? The critical factor in fruitarianism making him a genius would be the glucose in the fruit giving him the most ideal brain fuel.

This is so interesting!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 06:12PM

Web site seems fine to me.

I've gone from vegetarian to average meat-eater then to heavy meat eater, and now vegan ---- I DEF noticed those brain changes. I was and am smarter without so much meat.

Date: December 08, 2006 07:21PM

I don't agree with categorizing a lion's eating an antelope as "murder" though. Carnivores actually help the ecosystem by taking out the weakest members of a species, thus facilitating the natural selection process.

Date: December 08, 2006 09:09PM

That website was a rather fun and enjoyable read, though. Why all the negativity??

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2006 10:26PM

Well, raw vegans have lower levels of IGF-1, which is thought be associated with reduced risks for cancers. But lower levels of IGF-1 might also be associated with lower intelligence and cognitive decline in the elderly. Lower levels of IGF-1 are also associated with lower IQ in children. But this might be due to other deficiencies in the diet. We don't have all the answers and anybody who says that they do is trying to sell you something.

Regarding comparisons between impacts of various foodstuffs, it's not always easy to come to an accurate conclusion. Generally locally grown fruit from perennial trees will have a lower impact than say a factory farmed meat. There is a very detailed paper on environmental impact from a group of Italians in the Nov. 2006 of the Eur J Clin Nutr showing ecologically grown vegan foods as the very clear lowest impact choice but it doesn't cover all the bases. For example, Jim Mason (coauthor with Peter Singer of the recent book The Ethics of Eating) says:

Is it always better to buy produce that was grown locally?

"It is generally better, but we found examples where buying local not the best ethical choice. Two examples are rice and tomatoes. If you live in the Napa Valley of California, you can buy local rice to help the environment. But it takes so much energy input to grow rice the agribusiness way in California that it is actually more energy efficient to buy rice shipped in from Bangladesh. If you look at the whole production process, their methods consume less oil than rice produced in California, even when the transportation from Bangladesh is figured in.

"In Easton, Connecticut, the Sherwood family has been growing tomatoes for 17 generations. But since they use oil heat to warm up the greenhouses and get an early crop going, it actually uses less fossil fuel to truck up tomatoes from Florida. But, of course, there are other concerns, including taste. And Florida tomato growers have been convicted of holding laborers against their will, in effect sanctioning slavery."

more here:
[www.emagazine.com]

If you want to read the Italian paper (it's in English) you will have to PM me. It's not too technical.

Date: December 12, 2006 12:49AM

A tick for the website from me too!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 13, 2006 12:13PM

LOL I love this board

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables