Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chia sprouts are a very important food in the raw diet
Date: May 29, 2014 11:28PM

* provides perhaps the most favourable lipid profile of any food known because:
1). has possibly the highest or second highest source of omega 3
2). has possibly the highest ratio of polyunsaturated - monounsaturated fats

The first point is important for obvious reasons, and the second point is very important because most of the highest nutrition foods (nuts and seeds) have overly high monounsaturated fats and much lower levels of polyunsaturated fats, + that most of the nuts and seeds have excess omega 6's over 3's. And regarding high monounsaturated fat diets, remember what Dr Caldwell Esselstyn said using recent landmark studies that were the first long term studies ever done indicating the problem with excess mono fats:

[www.youtube.com]

So, to be able to tap into the highly nutritious seeds and keep things balanced we must be consuming chia sprouts as a saftey precaution so we can continue to tap into the high nutrition of the nuts and seeds without getting excess omega 6's and monounsaturated fat.

If you sprout seeds for a couple of days the fat levels decrease by roughly 20% by converting them to broken down fatty acids. Something similar would probably occur with chia sprouts, so it is another saftey measure to keep fat levels from rising too high in the diet, and the seemingly less harmful poly fats (imo) is another saftey measure as stated above.

* it provides good calcium levels at roughly 550 mg per 100 gram of seed.

* it provides good zinc levels with between 23 - 40% rda with a good balance of copper - zinc ratio.

* it provides exceptional iron levels with up to 60% rda at 10 mg per 100 graam of seed

This nutrition info comes from the U.S Dept of Agriculture and is not available on conventional nutrition sites.

Chia seeds provide very important nutrients for a diet in a balance that is hard to find in other foods, so it is an important tool to use to help balance a diet so we can tap into other highly nutritious foods without upsetting the nutrient synergy of a diet too much. I say this according using the current information available to us at the moment.

Funny enough, Brian Clement also says it has the most superior lipid profile on Earth, and he also says sprouting the chia increases the bioavailability of the omega 3's by 3,600%. I wonder how he came up with that conclusion on the omega 3's.

Chia is a very important food to be having regularly. It should be a staple...l try to have it every second day.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 11:33PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chia sprouts are a very important food in the raw diet
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: July 31, 2014 10:24AM

Will try chia sprouts for coming months and report the results

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:25PM

How about soaking chia? And perhaps mixing it with orange juice? Sounds yummy to me. Or, with banana and cinnamon.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 31, 2014 05:33PM

The problem with nuts and seeds is that they have a lot of anti nutrients. Nature made it so that they can be protected until time for germination.
Mixing chia with orange juice does pretty much nothing.
You need to sprout them so life will come out of the tiny seeds otherwise it is locked in, not digestible.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 31, 2014 05:39PM

The negative effects of nuts and seeds are apparent to many to are attuned to them, hence the endless modifications.

"Chia is a very important food to be having regularly. It should be a staple...l try to have it every second day."

The sproutarian man has also reported skin problems due to diet.
maybe all the nuts and seeds.

But I suppose we are supposed to eat them anyway, ignoring our bodily reactions and degrading our health to satisfy some unscientific fat recommendation?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:45AM

I eat them soaked, not sprouted. I don't worry about bad effects, because I haven't found any evidence to support assumptions that the "anti-nutrient" content is a problem, and because running is fantastic after chia, and because I enjoy them that way.

I agree with Sproutarianman that chia is a great food. I just don't care for it sprouted myself. I prefer it soaked.

One thing to note: Chia has several times more omega 3 than omega 6. This is a great ratio for balancing out our normal higher intake of omega 6. However, my understanding is that eating chia as our only source of omegas - while ignoring other whole vegan fats - could leave us unbalanced the other way (Becoming Raw, Davis and Melina). Whatever, so much of this has not yet been fully researched.

I think it's a good idea for each of us to respect the differences in the others of us. We're all on the same page, just different paragraphs. It's OK.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:04AM

The truth is that sprouting will not INCREASE THE ANTI-NUTRIENTS but it will certainly raise the living essence in the seed. Sprouting is a win-win solution.

Soaking is good enough when we do not have time and cannot wait for the seed to sprout.

Good nutrition is the eating of life.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:49AM

Hi Fresh,

It seems to me that Sproutarian man may only be expressing his personal beliefs about sprouts. He's a sprout guy. It's OK.

I was surprised to find when reading your post that you believe even sprouted seeds aren't good. (Did I get that right?) Since all plants come from seeds, and I think you eat greens, what is the specific point in the growth of a green plant when it becomes OK for you to eat?

Thanks, and hey, I remember you from way back. You saved me one time when someone had a bad teeth picture. Remember? I do and will always appreciate it!

We used to have this same debate, or similar! I never could convince you of nothing! We'll probably still be debating this when we're in our 120s. smiling smiley

Hi RawPracticalist,

From my perspective, soaking the chia is good enough anytime. What it comes down to is a food preference or a food belief preference. I believe the living essence is preserved in the seed. Evidence: it grows.

I say, freedom of food preference belief!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 01, 2014 11:27AM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Fresh,
>
> It seems to me that Sproutarian man may only be
> expressing his personal beliefs about sprouts.
> He's a sprout guy. It's OK.
>
> I was surprised to find when reading your post
> that you believe even sprouted seeds aren't good.
> (Did I get that right?)

I don't recall saying that.

Since all plants come
> from seeds, and I think you eat greens, what is
> the specific point in the growth of a green plant
> when it becomes OK for you to eat?
>
> Thanks, and hey, I remember you from way back.
> You saved me one time when someone had a bad teeth
> picture. Remember? I do and will always
> appreciate it!
>

not sure what you mean, suncloud.

> We used to have this same debate, or similar! I
> never could convince you of nothing! We'll
> probably still be debating this when we're in our
> 120s. smiling smiley

oh, I'm sure there was one thing.

>
> Hi RawPracticalist,
>
> From my perspective, soaking the chia is good
> enough anytime. What it comes down to is a food
> preference or a food belief preference. I believe
> the living essence is preserved in the seed.
> Evidence: it grows.
>
> I say, freedom of food preference belief!

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: August 15, 2014 11:19AM

Soaking the seed is the first stage, it is like starting your car, you get to drive it to get the benefit you are seeking.
Sprouting the seed is where the maximum benefit is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables