Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

NYC to ban hydrogenated oils !
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2006 03:44AM

NEW YORK - The Board of Health voted Tuesday to make New York the nation’s first city to ban artery-clogging artificial trans fats at restaurants — from the corner pizzeria to high-end bakeries.

The board, which passed the ban unanimously, did give restaurants a slight break by relaxing what had been considered a tight deadline for compliance. Restaurants will be barred from using most frying oils containing artificial trans fats by July and will have to eliminate the artificial trans fats from all of their foods by July 2008.

But restaurant industry representatives called the ban burdensome and unnecessary.

“We don’t think that a municipal health agency has any business banning a product the Food and Drug Administration has already approved,” said Dan Fleshler, a spokesman for the National Restaurant Association.

Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said recently that officials seriously weighed complaints from the restaurant industry, which argued that it was unrealistic to give them six months to replace cooking oils and shortening and 18 months to phase out the ingredients altogether.

The ban contains some exceptions; for instance, it would allow restaurants to serve foods that come in the manufacturer’s original packaging.

Chains must list calories
Trans fats are believed to be harmful because they contribute to heart disease by raising bad cholesterol and lowering good cholesterol at the same time. Some experts say that makes trans fats worse than saturated fat.

The panel also passed another measure that has made restaurants unhappy: Some that chose to inform customers about calorie content will have to list the information right on the menu. The rule would generally apply to fast-food restaurants and other major chains.

Sheila Weiss, director of nutritional policy for the restaurant association, said the rule would be a disincentive for restaurants to provide any nutritional information.

Trans fats are formed when liquid oils are made into solid fats by adding hydrogen in a process called hydrogenation. A common example of this is partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is used for frying and baking and turns up in processed foods like cookies, pizza dough and crackers. Trans fats, which are favored because of their long shelf life, are also found in pre-made blends like pancake and hot chocolate mix.

The FDA estimates the average American eats 4.7 pounds of trans fats each year.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who banned smoking in bars and restaurants during his first term, is somewhat health-obsessed, and even maintains a monthly weight-loss competition with one of his friends in order to stay slim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NYC to ban hydrogenated oils !
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 06, 2006 06:27AM

That is so cool.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 06, 2006 03:58PM

That is wonderful! I hope more states follow NY. I love it. It's about time!

Date: December 06, 2006 07:58PM

Next on the list - banning factory farmer meats!

Ideally.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 06, 2006 10:32PM

Actually, I think banning high fructose corn syrup would be better, there is no need for that and it's getting many people sick.

Of course, I'm *VERY* nervous about "banning" things, it's never a good idea. As quick as they have banned hydrogenated oils they can also ban unpasturized produce. Prohibition is a dangerous path for society.

Ian.

Date: December 07, 2006 12:47AM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, I think banning high fructose corn syrup
> would be better, there is no need for that and
> it's getting many people sick.
>
> Of course, I'm *VERY* nervous about "banning"
> things, it's never a good idea. As quick as they
> have banned hydrogenated oils they can also ban
> unpasturized produce. Prohibition is a dangerous
> path for society.
>
> Ian.

I mostly agree. However, factory farms should be closed because of animal cruelty. People can still eat free range meat if they choose.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 07, 2006 04:18AM

I've avoided shortening for years, I knew it was no good long before it got recent bad press. I think the worst about it is inaccurate labling, also some pretty messed up public perceptions about it.

I have seen some ingredients labeled "vegetable fat"...what the heck is that supposed to be? In mentioning the infamous vegetable fat to someone in the Pacific Northwest, they said 'fat only comes from animals'. Leave it up to small town WA... Also some vegetarians don't quite get it either, enough objected to lard and butter, so some products started replacing those with shortening, which is technically vegan. Some thought this was an improvement.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 07, 2006 08:37PM

I agree that high fructose corn syrup should be banned as well. Nasty stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables