Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

NIGHTSHADES ( tomato, bell peppers) - SOLUTIONS
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 24, 2014 09:55PM

i was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice ( other than avoiding them)

to counter the supposedly inflammatory effects of nightshades

like tomato, bell pepper , cayenne etc.

sproutman jtprindl. temp... and others... any ideas?

i don't do bell pepper or even cayenne much but i like to put tomatoes in my salad

and i think they have good things in them too but i'm wondering if there are counter acting foods/agents

would love to learn - so far, haven't found much on my own... but maybe others would know ( i hope)

please don't write things like " they are alright in moderation" " don't eat them"

or how "bad" they are for you or ' " they are fine, dont be picky"

i just want to know specific solutions for counteracting them on a chemical level
like what chemical compounds in certain foods counteract the nightshade compounds

to have a sort of overall somewhat neutral effect

that's all

solutions only

i think this should really be examined by the raw community because there are a lot of nighshades

including goji berries, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, blueberries ( in small amounts) etc.

so its kind of all over the placce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NIGHTSHADES ( tomato, bell peppers) - SOLUTIONS
Date: June 25, 2014 06:38AM

thanks all for the profound responsessmiling smiley

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:35AM

La_veronique, do you experience a particular negative reaction from tomatoes and bell peppers? Just curious, as I never experienced that.
I love summer sweet tomatoes and I like red sweet peppers. Having joint pain issues in my left hip, I think I would have been sensitive to them but looks like I perfectly tolerate them, especially those summer tomatoes which I love. However, I read a lot about avoiding the nightshade family, especially for those with rheumatoid arthritis, and they said they had amazing results when removing them from their diet. Some said that cooking them reduces the risk of flare-ups. I also read that the theory about nightshades could be just a myth.
Unfortunately, I don't know what advice/tip I could give...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Date: June 25, 2014 05:21PM

ela123

<<La_veronique, do you experience a particular negative reaction from tomatoes and bell peppers?>>

i do not have any overt negative reactions however, nightshades, is just one in a long list of foods that are plants that have their own defense mechanism ( like all plants) including oxalate containing plants ( spinach) , goitrogen containing plants ( cruciferous) etc. where it would beneficial to know what other foods can be taken to counteract them ... e.g. cruciferous foods with iodine containing foods ( seaweed) are good counteractive complementary measures etc.

and since, raw is a long term affair, it would be really beneficial to employ these
strategies for long term use

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: June 28, 2014 09:20AM

I would be very interested in finding out more about this myself now. As I posted in my diary here, I have been experiencing some negative effects of eating tomatoes, which made me remove them from my diet, along with other nightshades like bell peppers. My symptoms are: severe dizzyness, feeling lightheaded and having headaches. I want to find out if removing them will help me improve the hip condition and have less pain in the hip joint. I've been having these symptoms for quite a while now, but I wasn't sure if tomatoes were the cause and/or I didn't want to stop eating tomatoes as I liked them a lot. But I think my health is far more important than eating tasty tomatoes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Posted by: intrstelr ()
Date: June 28, 2014 12:11PM

I've stopped nightshades myself. I had an obvious reaction to potatoes, and then found out why during a search. I'd been taking ashwaghanda at the same time, n it has solanines as well, in nightshade family. There are recipes for nomato sauce, pasta sauce with no tomatoes. Not sure how well beets replace tomatoes.
Hard to explain the potato reaction, but I felt funny n a lot worse. I felt like something different had been released thruout my body after eating the potatoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 12:15PM by intrstelr.

Date: June 30, 2014 11:39PM

hi ela and interstellar ( cool name btwsmiling smiley

thanks for the feedback

if anyone else has any info, be glad to hear it

i like tomatoes but i also like to have good health
i do a lot of things long term ( oxalate foods, goitrogenic foods etc. and thanks to peeps on this forum, i've found some solutions to these foods)

wondering if there were more explorers out there who found info on counteracting the nightshade compounds

will try to keep this thread active and bumping it from time to time

looking for answers

Date: July 03, 2014 06:56PM

bump de bump

sproutman and jtprindl.... any comments? alright ,maybe i was a bit restrictive in the comments i wanted ... i'll just open up this thread to all comments concerning the beautiful and mysteriously mysterious nightshades.. maybe we can unravel this

T O G E T H E R
smiling smiley

Date: July 05, 2014 06:38PM

bump... really?
wow....

all the years of RFD and no comments on this?

how?

why?

mind blowing
so many comments on other things

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: July 05, 2014 07:19PM

I think they might cause problems in people with certain sensitivities or health issues but shouldn't be a problem for most who are in good health. Goji berries, ashwagandha, cayenne, and tomatoes have lots of well-documented health benefits, so that in and of itself is a good sign they are okay to eat. As far as negating the effects of certain compounds found in nightshades, maybe digestive enzymes and probiotics? To be honest, I don't think it's too big of an issue, maybe akin to oxalates in greens. I'm sure a well-balanced raw food diet would have an impact on defense and elimination as well.

Date: July 06, 2014 11:42AM

hi jt

thanks for taking a stab at it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables