Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fenugreek Sprouts - info please?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 03, 2014 10:56AM

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good website that describes the nutritional benefits of fenugreek sprouts, does anyone have any good links?

Thanks all xx

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenugreek Sprouts - info please?
Date: July 03, 2014 12:49PM

There is only one study done on the nutritional value of fenugreek sprouts. Yes, the sprouted seed is always preferred over the non sprouted seed for many reasons.

The anti-oxidant/phytochemical activity is always higher in the sprouts, along with vitamins and enzymes. The study needs to be read carefully to understand it, but reading the conclusion at the end would give you a good general impression of what is going on.

Characterisation of germinated fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) seed fractions

Sathyanarayana Shakuntala, Jarpala Pura Naik

[www.researchgate.net]

Calcium content was high in germinated
seed coat and germinated endosperm when compared to
ungerminated seed coat and endosperm. Sprouts were
rich in polyphenols, reducing sugars, minerals (K, Zn
and Fe) and PUFA. The study indicated the superiority
in the use of germinated seed fractions in functional and
nutritional foods compared to their ungerminated
counterparts

I have a lot of fenugreek sprout juice. Perhaps the best source of iron in the world..possibly more than cacao because l think it would be more bioavailable with the addition of vitamin C to enhance absorption to overpower any potential tannin binding.

Note: if you soak the seeds in mineralised water the seeds can greatly increase in mineral value. You get well over double the iron rda with a nice size fenugreek sprout drink and possibly much more if the water is rich in iron. You can also get a really good amount of calcium, up to 30% rda for a 16 oz green sprout drink of fenugreek and possibly much more if the seeds are soaked in calcium rich water, and you can get over 25% allowance for zinc with a 16 oz juice and even more if the seeds are soaked in mineral rich water.

Drink you fenugreek sprout juice like it's going out of fashion, it is a really nutritious and great sprout. I also notice it appears to be low in alkaloids because it is the only sprout juice l can have everyday without any problems of over consumption. I can have 16 oz of this drink everyday for months on end.

I have about 15 three liter jars full of fenugreek sprouts in the yard at the moment. Every single winter is like that. Costs about $68 for a 20 kg sack that will make roughly afew cars worth of green sprouts. FANTASTIC!!! I can't tell you how delightful they are.

They are good for blood sugar balancing and excellent for the liver and healing the organs when used as juices. They also have the truely wonderful sulfated polysachharide sugars which have been shown to bind to various dangerous indigestable proteins and enhance digestion by restricting the anti nutritional effects of the lectin binding of nutrients, and fenugreek sprouts also protect one from possible dangers of oxalic acid excess via anti-oxidant action. I could go on and on, but rest assured, the fenugreek sprouts are truely wonderful things. Not to be missed!!!

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 01:00PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 03, 2014 01:22PM

Actually, l have 13 large jars of fenugreek sprouts outside and another 13 jars of fenugreek sprouts in the shed. 26 jars in total growing. The jars aren't 3 liters, they are closer to 2 liter jars. Winter is always a big fenugreek sprout juice feast. Marvelous stuff.

Lots of pea juice, fenugreek sprout juice, alfalfa juice and ryegrass juice. Hopefully soon l add one of the kings of anti-oxidants in the name of Daikon Radish mircogreens which looks to have roughly 420% rda for vitamin E for 100 grams of greens (no other food seems to come close to comparing), 300% rda for vitamin C for 100 grams of greens (no other food seems to come close to comparing), triple the amount of vitamin A than carrots (no other food seems to come close to comparing), roughly 300% the rda for vitamin K for 100 grams of greens, and super amounts of phytochemicals...often over a 1,000% increase according to science showing various increases of various 5 day old greens.

Lisa...this is very exciting stuff. If you want to be a nutrient Queen, it is highly advisable to do the sprouts, especially those sprouted seeds and microgreens.

Looks like Daikon Radish microgreens could be a very big king indeed. I've ordered some and hoping they get through customs without irradiation.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 01:25PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 03, 2014 05:04PM

Date: July 03, 2014 10:13PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys, I'm looking for a good website that
> describes the nutritional benefits of fenugreek
> sprouts, does anyone have any good links?
>
> Thanks all xx

No website discusses the benefits of fenugreek sprouts, but in the next few days there will be a website which does so. smiling smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 04, 2014 08:24PM

Thanks for the info smiling smiley Yep I do love sprouts! I find eating fenugreek sprouts makes me smell really strongly of curry though, so I take them with a bit of moderation, lol.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables