Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best Raw Vegan "cookbooks"
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 08, 2006 06:06AM

Hello all! I wanted to know if anyone knows of some really good raw vegan cookbooks. I don't care whether the recepis are simple or complicated as long as the dishes are good!

I'd like to spice up (no pun intended!) the dish pearation at home as now I am doing simple salads only. Also if the dishes look nice i could even try them at the restaurant I work at!

Thank you in advance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2006 06:09AM by VeganLife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Raw Vegan "cookbooks"
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 08, 2006 10:16AM

RAW The Uncook Book by Juliano is really good. I also have a book called Raw foods for busy people.
I don't tend to use either of them very much anymore, I reference them if I can be bothered to make something more complicated. They certainly have helped me learn a lot about combining raw food to get the right flavors.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 02:24PM

I've always wanted to purchase Shazzie's detox recipe book

Shazzie.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 08, 2006 03:22PM

We really like "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars, for the recipes, and also for the nutrients & ingredients sections. Its very helpful to be able to, say, flip to the list of protein-rich foods to show friends how easy it is to get enough protein, etc.
And we've enjoyed most of the recipes so far.

"The Complete Raw Foods Book" is also very good - it has recipes by several raw authors/chefs, so you can find a few whose style resonates with your tastes, then order their books, too, if you like.

Vickey

Posted by: teapata ()
Date: December 08, 2006 08:23PM

I just got, "raw foods for busy people" by jordan Maerin, in the mail and while i haven't tried the recipes yet, i read it and it looks like it will be a lifesaver. it simplifies recipes. i live the birgitte mars book but i couldn't eat like that every day. i'm not well enough to spend my time preparing food. seriously check it out.
leila

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 09:17PM

What a great thread!

Keep posting reviews, I'm thinking of getting a few ppl raw books for the holidays, and I have to figure out which books to buy to individualize the purchases, so they can relate to the message (hopefully).

For my Dad, Rainbow Green, b/c he's a science person.
For my Mom, the Victoria Boutenko book, b/c she'll love the fear of cooked food addiction message.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 08, 2006 09:21PM

Oh yeah I also have Shazzie's Detox Your World, that has some good stuff in it too.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 09, 2006 05:08AM

I just bought 2 of these "Cleansing or Surgery" booklets to give as gifts. They have a lot of cleanses in them, and they explain them well, (they also have an extremist Christian theme to them) but I find them handy to refer to and I think that they will be a great way to introduce people to the concept of cleansing. At $6.50, they are cheap too.

[www.embassyofheaven.com]

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 09, 2006 06:04AM

I should probably qualify my praise of this booklet by saying that it's not a detailed Hulda Clark book, in fact it doesn't have a Parasite cleanse, I wish it did. It's more simply written but I think it might be read by someone who never reads health stuff, just because it is so small.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: December 09, 2006 06:27PM

Unless I missed it.. I can't believe no one has mentioned Pure Food and Wine's book, RAW FOOD REAL WORLD. I've worked as a personal cooked food chef and this book is awesome. I've served many of the recipes to cooked fooders and they are like.. wow can I have this recipe? The food prep is labor intensive but it's always worth it because EVERY SINGLE RECIPE is really very good.

I also like Alissa Cohen's book and the Boutenko kids' book, EATING WITHOUT HEATING. Pretty much everything in there tastes good and it's all relatively simple. Gotta love it.

Just my 2 cents

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 09, 2006 11:54PM

My favorite is "Raw Food Made Easy". The recipes are straightforward and not too time-consuming, and the portions are small enough for just one or two people.

I am the only raw person in my family, and I got away from raw for a while, but back at it for about a week now. I also do all the food preparation, so I continue to make all my family's favorite cooked food recipes and then mine on the side, so the less work for me the better!

I try very hard never to get preachy about this, I just quietly sit down with my own plate of food and make no comment, but the other day, one of my daughters looked at her plate of mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted chicken and steamed green beans, then looked at my beautiful, colorful raw plate of food, and asked me if I could give her my kind of food from now on.

It would be wonderful if observing my habits influences my family to be open to trying more healthy foods. I have to admit they love my salads, but nobody thinks it's enough to call it a meal. But I can't complain, I don't think my husband ever tasted a fruit or vegetable that didn't come out of a can before he met me, hee hee! He has come a long way! (but I don't see him giving up his BBQ steaks any time soon!)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 10, 2006 01:01AM

I checked out Sarma's (Raw Food Real World) and Juliano's (RAW: the uncook book) books from the library. Both are inspirational, but I don't eat like that. Too much sugar and fat.

I am not into the gourment thing with elaborate dehydrator recipes, I always go back to my elaborate salads, one big vegetable, two smaller fruit, daily. With a sprinkle of nuts/seeds on both.

But I quite liked Nomi's book, The Raw Gourmet, felt it had just enough of the right info, the recipes were not too elaborate, and the pics were gorgeous.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: December 10, 2006 04:49AM

I like LIVING CUISINE by Renee Underkoffler. It has over 300 recipes. Some very simple and some elaborate. It has lots of info for the newly raw - including a sprouting section. I'm also interested in RAW FOOD REAL WORLD, but have decided to get it from the library first and try it out before purchasing. But I like the recipes that I've seen on the web site.

Life Is Good!

alive!

www.welikeitraw.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2006 04:52AM by alive!.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables