Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

DHA EPA omega 3
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 26, 2014 12:14AM

so, i spoke about purslane in the purslane thread

and it looks like it has a really cool omega 3 profile

but still wondering if the body can convert the ALA to DHA EPA adequately without all the other things necessary to convert it

like magnesum certain b vitamins zinc etc.
can it just convert easily on its own accord?

curious

i think its a really important topic
and would appreciate any feedback

please also provide other sources of omega 3 and favorite products etc.
and ease of conversion to DHA EPA
opinions discussion etc.

we should discuss this topic more often

as i feel it is quite important

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DHA EPA omega 3
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 26, 2014 12:58AM

My understanding is this: that vegans convert omega 3 into DHA and EPA, but not a huge amount, and we may have less in our systems than meat-eaters have.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there to confirm that this is necessarily a bad thing for vegans.

For converting fatty acids into EPA and DHA, it helps to include a good source of omega-3 in the diet - like chia or flax seeds.

This is from a chart found in Becoming Raw, by Davis and Melina:

Omega-3 family:

Alphalinolenic acid (ALA) from chia seeds, flaxseeds, echium oil, hempseeds, walnuts, greens ->

->ALA converts to Stearidonic acid (SDA), which can also be accessed directly from eschium oil, hempseeds, blue-green algae ->

->SDA converts to Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which can also be accessed directly from microalgae, fish, sea vegetables, breast milk ->

->EPA converts to Docosahexatenoic acid (DHA), which can also be accessed directly from microalgae, fish, eggs, breast milk.

My personal favorite direct source of DHA + EPA is a microalgae solution from Dr. Fuhrman. It has an OK taste, and no aftereffects (fish burps) like the fish oils reportedly have. You can read about it here:

[www.drfuhrman.com]

Unfortunately it's a little too expensive for me right now at $40.00 for a 40-day supply, but I don't know of a better product.

Re: DHA EPA omega 3
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 26, 2014 02:27AM

hi suncloud
thanks for info
will be reading the fuhrman article

also appreciate providing a product info.
good to explore...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables