Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Some positive info on phytate
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 01, 2014 02:03AM

If interested, maybe check out some of these videos, especially, "Phytates for the prevention of cancer."

[nutritionfacts.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some positive info on phytate
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 01, 2014 11:48AM

greger is vegan I think, which is only playing with half a deck.

for a raw foodist, when confronted with statements like "phytates are beneficial in foods such as beans and grains", the information is suspect and typical non wholistic thinking, since they are not even foods (not edible in natural state, tasty, etc)

Date: August 01, 2014 06:49PM

Yes, Dr. Greger is vegan, and doing incredible work to promote a vegan diet and reduce animal suffering in the world. Yes, he mentioned grains and beans, but that's quite beside the point, since he also mentioned foods that raw vegans eat - like NUTS.

Oh, and Dr. Colin Campbell is vegan too I think (kidding, of course he is!).

Date: August 01, 2014 06:56PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Dr. Greger is vegan, and doing incredible
> work to promote a vegan diet and reduce animal
> suffering in the world.

my comment (half a deck) was not critical, it was simply a fact that one looks through a different lens when one is vegan as opposed to raw vegan. the typical vegan sees half the true picture of diet, and includes non foods.

Yes, he mentioned grains
> and beans, but that's quite beside the point,
> since he also mentioned foods that raw vegans eat
> - like NUTS.
>

It was the point for me that when one thinks that those things are good to eat, and then bases their recommendations upon studies that associate X (phytic acid) with Y result, this is not wholistic thinking as one will be have other negative issues not considered when just looking at phytic acid. ya dig?

> Oh, and Dr. Colin Campbell is vegan too I think
> (kidding, of course he is!).

except for thanksgiving.

Date: August 01, 2014 11:06PM

Really? Dr. Campbell is not a vegan on Thanksgiving?

May we see a reference please?

(to answer your question: No, I don't dig. Sorry. The studies speak for themselves, regardless of who is talking about them.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 11:08PM by suncloud.

Date: August 02, 2014 12:15AM

I'm not sure now, it may have been mcdougall who said that.
I may have confused them.

[www.hearthealthyonline.com]

but I doubt TCC is totally vegan, he does say plant based diet, not vegan/vegetarian.

Date: August 02, 2014 06:46PM

This is online. Drs. Campbell and Macdougall are good people who both promote vegan diet and have helped thousands of people and saved possibly millions of animal lives.

If true, that someone is not a vegan after claiming they are, then I see nothing wrong in letting others know. But as a show of well-deserved respect, it's probably best to know for sure before we potentially begin harmful rumors that could potentially hurt the tremendous work these people are doing.

And if we do find information online - say a website - the reference on the website should be checked before we pass the information on.

I notice that even though hearthealthyonline provides quotes that they claim come directly from Dr. Macdougall, the website doesn't provide a reference.

Definitely not worthy of passing on.

Many people use the term "plant-based diet", to help promote a vegan diet, since "plant-based" has acquired more mainstream acceptance. It can include both 100% vegan diets or not. My understanding is that Dr. Colin Campbell claims to be 100% vegan. I'm not so familiar with Dr. MacDougall's work, except that I wish he were still here on the Big Island!

Date: August 02, 2014 07:33PM

You think I am trying to denigrate mcdougall or TCC?

not sure why you would think that.

But Your point above is noted.

here it is from mcdougall.

[www.drmcdougall.com]

if you asked me, it's a rather bizarre statement to make.

regarding TCC, he is not vegan strictly speaking, as I suspected, not that i care.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 02, 2014 08:19PM

Well, I don't know about motives, I only meant to address the action.

Interesting quote from Dr. Macdougal! I do notice that on lecture circuits, he doesn't appear to often accompany those who are avowed vegans, including Campbell, Davis (you have her book), Barnard, Greger, and Esselstyn.

Interesting. I never knew this about Dr. Macdougall.

Have you read Dr. Campbell's book, The China Study? Fascinating!

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 02, 2014 10:41PM

[www.youtube.com]
The Role of Meat in the Human Diet - John McDougall
55:51 Minute Video

JR’s Notes:

49:19 MM
Let’s talk about Vegetarian Diets for just a minute. Vegetarian Diets - there are all kinds of them and I want to make clear that I am Not a Vegetarian first of all and I’m Not a Vegetarian. I refuse to be a Vegetarian until Vegetarian become healthy. I eat Turkey every other Thanksgiving in protest to being called a Vegetarian. Now when all of the other Vegetarians that you see speak here or you meet in your goings on in the world are trim and healthy and an example of good health, I’ll become a Vegetarian. But until then I will protest every other Thanksgiving. 49:56 MM

50:30 MM
…and we have the Raw Fooders. Raw Fooders live on Nuts and Seeds and Fruit. In other words, they live on Fat and Sugar - that’s NOT what I try to teach.

Date: August 02, 2014 11:20PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I don't know about motives, I only meant to
> address the action.
>
> Interesting quote from Dr. Macdougal! I do notice
> that on lecture circuits, he doesn't appear to
> often accompany those who are avowed vegans,
> including Campbell, Davis (you have her book),
> Barnard, Greger, and Esselstyn.
>
> Interesting. I never knew this about Dr.
> Macdougall.
>
> Have you read Dr. Campbell's book, The China
> Study? Fascinating!

I do not think I have read it.

check out this quote from a reviewer of the book, i thought it was funny.

"I love juicy steaks, delicious cheese, and big bowls of ice cream. I love to eat out at nice restaurants. And I really like eating without thinking about the operations and consequences of our dietary industrial complex. But I don't get to enjoy these things any more because I read the China Study. Like Neo in the movie the Matrix, you have a choice, take the blue pill and believe what you want to believe, take the red pill and you will be exposed to the reality of the world we live in. The China Study is the red pill."

Date: August 02, 2014 11:21PM

John Rose Wrote:

> 50:30 MM
> …and we have the Raw Fooders. Raw Fooders live
> on Nuts and Seeds and Fruit. In other words, they
> live on Fat and Sugar - that’s NOT what I try to
> teach.

see that's the kind of nonsense we get from JM that I don't find very well informed or helpful.

Date: August 03, 2014 02:39AM

Fresh wrote:

"check out this quote from a reviewer of the book, i thought it was funny.

'I love juicy steaks, delicious cheese, and big bowls of ice cream. I love to eat out at nice restaurants. And I really like eating without thinking about the operations and consequences of our dietary industrial complex. But I don't get to enjoy these things any more because I read the China Study. Like Neo in the movie the Matrix, you have a choice, take the blue pill and believe what you want to believe, take the red pill and you will be exposed to the reality of the world we live in. The China Study is the red pill.'

That IS funny!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables