Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

supermarket berries rescue disease and aging
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 28, 2014 04:23PM

"Blueberry

Abundant in polyphenols that can cross the blood-brain barrier, blueberries are well known for their enhancement of cognitive performance and their protection against age-related decline of memory and brain function.81-83

Blueberries have been shown not only to improve cognition in animal models of Alzheimer’s disease, but to decrease aggregation and enhance immune system breakdown removal of amyloid beta plaques in the brain.18 Blueberries help protect the aorta84,85 and the myocardium, and may prevent heart failure following myocardial infarction.86 They lower blood pressure and lipid peroxidation.87 They have also been found to improve insulin resistance and glucose control in pre-clinical models.87,88

In the laboratory, blueberry induced self-destruction among oral, breast, colon, and prostate cancer cells.60

Other beneficial effects of blueberries include activity against colitis (when taken with probiotics),89 liver injury,90 prevention of collagen breakdown in bone,91 inflammation,92 and neurodegeneration.92

Cherry

Both sweet and tart varieties of cherry have exhibited potent cardiovascular and antidiabetic effects.

Traditionally associated with the soothing of arthritis and gout, cherries have been found to block inflammatory pathways associated with these diseases;93-95 and a 2012 study found cherry intake reduced gout attacks by 35%.96 These berries and their extract also inhibit the inflammatory processes involved in heart disease.94,95,97

Rat studies using whole tart cherry powder suggest a protective role against both heart disease and diabetes, through an ability to reduce blood levels of triglycerides, cholesterol, glucose, and insulin, as well as the amount of cholesterol stored in the liver.98 Tart cherries have also been found effective in suppressing inflammation-induced pain.99

Cherries are rich in a phytonutrient—perillyl alcohol—shown to prevent development, or limit progression, of several cancer types.100-103And when anthocyanins and cyanidin supplements from cherries were fed to mice with a genetic susceptibility to colon cancer, they developed fewer tumors than those who did not receive the cherry-based supplement.104

Cranberry

Cranberries provide powerful protection against oxidative damage—they were shown in an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 65 healthy women to significantly reduce blood levels of advanced oxidation protein products.109

But cranberries and cranberry juice are probably best known for their ability to help prevent urinary tract infections,110,111 and are believed to work by inhibiting the adherence of E. coli to the urethra and bladder wall, making it easier for the body to flush them out.112,113 Similarly, they may protect against gastric ulcers by preventing Helicobacter pylori, the bacterium implicated in this condition, from adhering to the stomach lining.114,115

Cranberries also display anti-proliferative activity in vitro and in vivo, against cancer cells of several different types: gastric,116 esophageal adenocarcinoma,117 breast,118 prostate,118 colon,118 and lung.118

Evidence indicates that cranberry compounds may protect cardiovascular health through various mechanisms, including modulation of blood pressure, inhibition of platelet aggregation, and reduction of inflammation.87,119

Grape

Grapes and grape seeds have been shown in the lab to block the proliferation of prostate, colon, leukemia, and other cancer cells.126-130 A 2012 study concluded that grape seed proanthocyanidins may be a promising cancer therapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.131

Evidence indicates that the highly active compounds in grapes and grape seeds protect cardiovascular health by helping to prevent platelet aggregration,132 LDL oxidation,133 high blood cholesterol,134 reduce fatty streaks in the aorta,134 minimize inflammation,135 and prevent decreased blood flow to the brain.136

Grapes may help combat Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and other neurodegenerative diseases.137,138 Polyphenol extracts from grape seeds have the ability to potently inhibit the production of neurofibrillary tangles, a primary marker for Alzheimer’s disease.137 In a model of Parkinson’s, whole grape extract was shown not only to preserve motor functions, but to extend the life span of fruit flies.138

Pomegranate

Extracts of pomegranate have shown promise in reducing the risk of metastasis in breast cancer.139 They initiate apoptosis (programmed cell death) and inhibit the proliferation of prostate, lung, colon, and other cancers.140-142 In both mice and humans with prostate cancer, consuming pomegranate slowed the rising levels of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), which is a marker of disease progression.143,144

Pomegranate juice has been shown in human studies to help protect cardiovascular health by significantly reducing both arterial plaque,145 lowering blood pressure,146 and improving blood lipid profiles.147 Pomegranate-derived compounds help reduce the adverse effects caused by metabolic syndrome.147

This fruit has been shown to reduce inflammation in colitis,148 enhance drug antibacterial activity,149 and suppress inflammation and joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis.150 There is even evidence that pomegranate supports the skin’s underlying structure and lowers the production of collagen-degrading enzymes, resulting in younger-looking skin.151

Prune

Nutritional and lifestyle factors can reduce the risk of osteoporosis. According to a 2011 review, the prune is the fruit that is the most effective at both preventing and reversing bone loss in part due to suppressing the rate of bone turnover.152

In rats, prune consumption produced changes in the bowel that suggest a protective effect against colon cancer.153 In obese rats, extract of plum also reduced blood levels of glucose and insulin, and increased insulin sensitivity, clearly suggesting they might be effective against type II diabetes.154

Prunes have also been shown to improve the body’s ability to absorb iron.155

Raspberry

Raspberries are a rich source of ellagitannins, which are converted in the body to ellagic acid,156 a well-known antioxidant.157 Scientists recently established that ellagic acid—by suppressing oxidative stress and inflammation—may provide a useful dietary supplement to decrease the characteristic changes associated with metabolic syndrome, induced by a high-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.158

In vitro, raspberries protect against DNA damage159 in colon cancer cells, and inhibit colon cancer invasion.160 Raspberry and raspberry seed extracts have shown efficacy against oral, breast, cervical, and prostate cancers in the lab.60,161,162 Raspberries have been shown, in vitro, to stimulate apoptosis in human cancer cells20,60

Also, findings suggest that moderate consumption of raspberry juices helps prevent the development of atherosclerosis through improved antioxidant status and serum lipid profiles.163

Strawberry

Strawberry extracts are impressive cancer fighters. They’ve been shown to inhibit the growth of oral, colon, prostate, liver, and breast cancers.60,170,171

A diet high in strawberries was found effective in protecting animals from age-related deficits in learning and memory.81 Researchers confirmed in 2012 that, although eating more berries may reduce cognitive decline in elderly humans, “flavonoid-rich blueberries and strawberries offer [the] most benefit.”83

In experimental studies, strawberries have also been found to deliver substantial cardiovascular benefits. They reduce the formation of unwanted blood clots, which may help prevent heart attack and stroke,172 lower total and LDL cholesterol,87 improve lipid peroxidation,173 and decrease biomarkers of atherosclerosis (malondialdehyde and adhesion molecules).87

Strawberries favorably affect postprandial inflammation and insulin sensitivity. In a compelling study, overweight humans were given either a strawberry drink or a placebo drink following a high carbohydrate, moderate fat meal. The strawberry group showed lower levels of biomarkers for inflammation and a reduction in postprandial insulin response.174"

source and references: [www.lef.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: supermarket berries rescue disease and aging
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 30, 2014 02:09AM

I like how you refer to them as supermarket berries.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 30, 2014 11:22AM

Yet we are being told fruits are bad

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 30, 2014 07:57PM

a lot more here winking smiley

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: August 30, 2014 10:22PM

I don't understand the "supermarket" part of this? I am guessing that these are just studies used by the supermarket industry to sell more berries.
Great info though, thanks for posting.

Being a big Hippocrates advocate and having lots of experience with fungus I think this is just misleading people, surely unintentionally-but still just to increase sales. I see lots of older sick people using too much fruit, and almost surely have fungal infections. This is not good for the immune system, and, not good for the older person's heart if they increase their fungal infection. Fungus can't be blamed for everything as some might think I believe, but it is a huge issue in this country-the U.S. anyway.
I literally see this all the time. Recently my Mom got sick, and she is full of yeast, believe me I know. They always treat here with antibiotics and tell her to eat fresh fruit etc. Never following up with a antifungal or anti-parasite regimen.

Tell me how a M.D. can be sooo ignorant as to think that the only infections ARE BACTERIAL! omg, I don't know.
So now my mother will get sick again later next year with the same symptoms and they will do it all over again. To add to this she is always so tired she cannot even do simple tasks, she even appears to be drunk! which is a sure sign that there is fungus. She drank alcohol most of her life also? so that tells us more.

Now her friend gets a similar illness and the M.D.'s pump her up with antibiotics. Prior to this I tell my mother she and her friend have yeast issues as I have explained to my mom for years. The next day she tells me her friend is really sick from the antibiotics and is getting "Thrush" lol. I said, I told ya so? So they put her on one of the NASTY antifungal drugs(I almost said "Medicines" but I don't think that would be accurate.) These antifungals are really damaging to the body,period, especially with older women who are prone to having Leaky Gut. Okay, see ya

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables