Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Your advice on freezing raw organic vegetables
Posted by: roland ()
Date: August 28, 2014 04:53PM

I have available to me lots of fresh organic vegetables.

I wish to freeze them.

I will wash them and soak them for 10 minutes in my pure distilled water just fresh from my lotus santanizaing water system. This should kill all the live bacteria.

I them cut them up and put in glass jars in a fresh tomato or cucumber base so there is no air in the jar and quickly freeze

I then unfreeze slowly and warm to around 90 degrees in a soup and enjoy.

Feedback please

I have not been here for quite some time. I was one of the first members. now I only eat raw organic foods...90%. you people have been the best over the years.

Yogi roland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your advice on freezing raw organic vegetables
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 28, 2014 05:17PM

this link suggest is ok: [nutritionfacts.org]

but it is probably not 100% ok

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 28, 2014 08:49PM

Congratulations on having all those great organic veggies!

Unfortunately, soaking them in distilled water will not kill bacteria. The Lotus sanitizing system may kill all the bacteria in the water, but it won't kill the bacteria in the veggies unless you're putting the veggies through the system too (cannot, of course!).

Make sure to wash them really well before freezing.

Usually frozen veggies are blanched before freezing to help kill bacteria and also protect from discoloration, so of course they're no longer actually raw. Also, although vitamins and minerals will be retained, freezing will cause cell walls to break, which will change the consistency (and possibly alter the vitality - for whatever that may be worth) of the vegetables.

Here's some conventional but relevant info on freezing veggies:

[allrecipes.com]

Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 09:04PM by suncloud.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 28, 2014 09:00PM

Just noticed too that you'll be freezing in glass jars. I found this info that might be helpful:

"Can glass jars be used for freezing?
Regular glass jars break easily at freezer temperatures. If using glass jars, choose wide-mouth dual purpose jars made for freezing and canning; these jars have been tempered to withstand extremes in temperatures. If standard canning jars (those with narrow mouths) are used, leave extra headspace in liquid packs (3/4-inch for pints; 11/2-inches for quarts) to allow for expansion of food during freezing and completely thaw food before removing it. Do not use regular canning jars for foods packed in water."

That quote comes from: [nchfp.uga.edu]
and the same website includes lots more great information about freezing, if you're interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 09:05PM by suncloud.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 31, 2014 11:19PM

I do freeze bananas when they too spotty, too spotty they almost bad. Then I use them within the next day or the day after, and berries sometimes too if I have too much in the fridge. I love frozen mango. I like eating it.

Yeah I agree about the glass mason jars, they crack in half when frozen. You have to fill not all the way up, room to grow into when frozen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables