Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

coconut oil
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:06AM

i think coconut oil is great for a body oil
and face moisturizer

what does everyone else use

aloe vera?

do you thinnk coconut oil is better than olive oil as moisturizer?

i kinda do

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 16, 2014 02:15AM

I've tried many oils and almond oil is my fav. for the skin.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: September 16, 2014 02:27AM

I've used both extra-virgin stone crushed olive oil and extra-virgin coconut oil and the latter gives better results as far as moisturizing goes. It also seems to work better on any bumps, likely due it's potent anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties, courtesy of monolaurin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 02:28AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 16, 2014 04:07AM

thanks panchito and jtprindl (yer back!smiling smiley for the "inside edition"

of what you use for the skin

i heard almond oil was good

jtprindl

monolaurin - learned something new today thankssmiling smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 16, 2014 06:33PM

Coconut oil for skin care!

I rub it all over my skin too. I saw this at the store here in Wa. You can infuse it with stuff too. They use it to heal people with skin disorders and tumors. I was using coconut oil way back when too, I keep a jar under my bed. Thing is I cant eat it or put it in any recipes, because it reminds me of sex.

Coconut oil, It has to be raw for me, really. Raw and you know that coconut smell. Fresh. I get my bottle at GNC sometimes. Its expensive.

I also been trying cacao butter, but you have to melt it with your hands and you have to get your hands warm. I love the smell for skin care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 06:35PM by coconutcream.

Date: September 17, 2014 01:49AM

raw coconut oil is the best

tastes the best

has the most fragrance

some coconut oils have zero fragrance and taste

Date: September 17, 2014 02:30AM

Having one tablespoon of coconut oil with sprouted chia can double your manufacture of EPA/DHA long chain omega three fatty acids. BUT...make sure omega 6's are low in that meal to ensure best conversion.

For best results possible, make sure you have good levels of calcium, magnesium, zinc, B6, B9 and amino acids with a omega 3 - 6 ratio of 1:1. Doing this will give a raw vegan more EPA/DHA than what fish can provide and mental functioning goes through the roof and stress is almost nonexistant.

Of yes, peer reviewed research backs up what l am saying too. Saturated fat can play an important role for vegans and humans, that's probably why breast milk is so high in saturated fat.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 17, 2014 02:57AM

sproutman

<<Having one tablespoon of coconut oil with sprouted chia can double your manufacture of EPA/DHA long chain omega three fatty acids. BUT...make sure omega 6's are low in that meal to ensure best conversion.

For best results possible, make sure you have good levels of calcium, magnesium, zinc, B6, B9 and amino acids with a omega 3 - 6 ratio of 1:1. Doing this will give a raw vegan more EPA/DHA than what fish can provide and mental functioning goes through the roof and stress is almost nonexistant.

Of yes, peer reviewed research backs up what l am saying too. Saturated fat can play an important role for vegans and humans, that's probably why breast milk is so high in saturated fat.>>

this is fascinating

i also read that coconut oil helps to counter the oxidative process of polyunsaturated fats like nuts. what's your opinion on that?

also, i would love to read the article that discusses amplification of EPA/DHA
using coconut oil with sprouted chia

do u have any peer reviewed articles on that... or similar articles?

also, what happens if chia seeks are NOT soaked

does that just lessen its nutrient profile?

does it have any other adverse effects?

wondering...

Date: September 17, 2014 03:28AM

"also, what happens if chia seeks are NOT soaked

does that just lessen its nutrient profile?

does it have any other adverse effects?"

From my knowledge, anti-nutrients and low protein digestibility.

"Having one tablespoon of coconut oil with sprouted chia can double your manufacture of EPA/DHA long chain omega three fatty acids. BUT...make sure omega 6's are low in that meal to ensure best conversion."

I've been taking roughly a tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil before consuming 2-3 tablespoons of AFA blue-green algae for about a week and I've noticed that the mood-boosting effects seem to last longer than they previously did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 03:32AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 17, 2014 03:49AM

"Saturated fat can play an important role for vegans and humans, that's probably why breast milk is so high in saturated fat"

I think this is a very important fact to consider for all of the "low fat police" who actually believe fat ages you or that it causes all of these chronic diseases... all based on very, very poor sources of information and poorly conducted studies. Do cooked animal fats age you? You bet. Do raw, plant-based (especially when sprouted) fats age you? Not from my experience and not from any credible source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 03:51AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 17, 2014 10:00AM

That is not a fair comparison. The fat in breast milk helps the baby double her weight in two months. Grown up do not need that much fat.

Date: September 17, 2014 01:43PM

Personally, I think the whole "saturated fat will kill you" mindset may just be another control mechanism by those in power to lower cognitive functioning of the masses. Tell them fat kills you, they avoid it and as a result suffer from severely diminished cognition.

Date: September 17, 2014 05:53PM

jtprindl

which anti nutrients are in chia seeds and does soaking eliminate most of it?

also cool info concerning what u do with coconut oil and consumption prior to blue green algae

where did you get the idea to do that... also, what are the effects of that on a chemical level? have anything for me to read about it? always love to learn more smiling smiley

sooo interesting!

Date: September 17, 2014 06:21PM

"also cool info concerning what u do with coconut oil and consumption prior to blue green algae"

None other than the king of sprouts lol

"which anti nutrients are in chia seeds and does soaking eliminate most of it?"

I believe soaking eliminates most of the anti-nutrients. The main culprit in chia seeds is likely phytic acid, though I think they contain much lower levels than most nuts and seeds. Not sure about other anti-nutrients but my guess is there are others, which are likely eliminated or significantly reduced by soaking as well.

"also, what are the effects of that on a chemical level?"

From mixing coconut oil with AFA? I think the longer lasting mood-boosting effects could be a few things... increased conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA and/or increased absorption of the powerful fat-soluble phytochemicals found in AFA. However, I don't think there's that much ALA in AFA so I'd lean towards the latter, especially since I use E3 Live BrainON which has higher amounts of Phenethylamine (PEA), a fat soluble phytochemical known as the "love chemical" for its powerful mood-boosting capabilities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 06:23PM by jtprindl.

Date: September 17, 2014 08:17PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> also, i would love to read the article that
> discusses amplification of EPA/DHA
> using coconut oil with sprouted chia
>
> do u have any peer reviewed articles on that...
> or similar articles?

Firstly, read this study that applies to rats (p62 brings all the action, but read it all), then read the second study summery of it applying to humans.

Rats increased EPA by 600% when coconut oil was added to E3 live and DHA increased 200%!!!

Favorable Effects of Blue-Green Algae Aphanizomenon flos-aquae on Rat Plasma Lipids

Rafail I. Kushak, PhD, Christian Drapeau et al

[courses.washington.edu]

Humans

Can adults adequately convert alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) to eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3)?

Gerster H

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

>
> also, what happens if chia seeks are NOT soaked

Chia seeds MUST be soaked and sprouted, there is no iffs or buts about this. I recently read on this site people suggesting they ignore this idea and just soak them, but this is very poor advice. Why? Soaked chia is still very high in protein inhibitors (anti nutrients) and protein is on average about 24% digestable from the seeds. Eating soaked chia means you will be getting most protein that will pass through the body undigested, and protein that is largely undigested is a bad idea. I can't be sure how much sprouting reduces the anti nutrient effects, but it always seems to make the protein in seeds more digestable.

Sproutimg seeds does many many things of benefit to human beings, but too numerous to mention here right now. Just some things sprouting does is: increase vitamins dramatically (eg, sprouting sesame increases vitamin E by 20,000% over 4 days), reduce anti nutrients, helps break down concentrated proteins/starches/fats, improves anti oxidant levels to combat oxidative stress which is now said to be one of the major causes of disease in dozens of different diseases.

Note: sprouted sesame and sprouted sunflower are some of the highest phytochemical anti oxidant foods known to man, maybe chia could be too (hard to say), so sprout it and get full benefit.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 17, 2014 08:50PM

jtprindl Wrote:

> I've been taking roughly a tablespoon of
> extra-virgin coconut oil before consuming 2-3
> tablespoons of AFA blue-green algae for about a
> week and I've noticed that the mood-boosting
> effects seem to last longer than they previously
> did.

If you take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with a bowl of chia/flax sprouts you will get even better effect. See the `growing sprouts' section of my site to learn how to grow chia sprouts etc. I will also be doing a video on how to do it on Friday and also release an old video on sprouting chia.

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> I think this is a very important fact to consider
> for all of the "low fat police" who actually
> believe fat ages you or that it causes all of
> these chronic diseases... all based on very, very
> poor sources of information and poorly conducted
> studies. Do cooked animal fats age you? You bet.
> Do raw, plant-based (especially when sprouted)
> fats age you? Not from my experience and not from
> any credible source.

Yes, the problem most people have is that they see high fat eating people age faster so they assume that this will always be the case. We can't go assuming these things because many factors need to be taken into account.

It is the same silly arguments that the fat police like Dr Esselstyn like to use that high fat diets cause CVD. He observes people on high fat high cholesterol diets getting CVD so he niavely makes the association between CVD and high fat diets. The probelm is that the largest studies ever done in history published in the top medical journals completely contradict the low fat police for very very good reason. There are many factors that bring on CVD in high fat diets, but it is NOT the fat itself. We also see various cultures on high fat diets with no CVD. We also see the negative effects of high fat diets going away when high anti oxidant levels are added to the diet and when various phytochemicals in foods are consumed and when humans produce various enzymatic reactions due to their unique DNA. The low fat police conventiently ignore all these factors, but people like myself are slowly busting these people and calling them out with their nonsense with solid science.

Why isn't the mainstream waking up to the nonsesnse put out by the low fat police? Why isn't the media exposing the silly low fat low cholesterol recommendations talked about by doctors? Well....the peer reviewed literature is now saying numerous times that the drug and food industry perpetrated the myth so they could brainwash doctors into pushing cholesterol and lipid lowering medication onto patients and so the food industry could con people into low fat food products...these industries knew the West had higher cholesterol and fat levels so they knew they could cash in on the myth by associating high fat high cholesterol with CVD. It worked!!!

Now...people who go low fat and eliminate cholesterol from their diets can reverse CVD, but it was never the cause in the first place. They key is to implement factors (antioxidants etc) which give the body the tools to deal with high fat diets so we become like the various populations that can live on higher fat diets with no heart disease.

Now...why higher fat? Simple...it's the fatty acids for optimal brain functioning. There is a lot of literature which talks about this and how human brains started to develop greater cognitive ability when they had access to higher fat foods because various parts of the brain where larger and more developed in certain areas. And if you study very carefully you will also see the low fat vegan diets can be classified in the danger zone because the low levels of ALA are borderline and poorly converted to EPA/DHA which is also on the low levels of the lowest recommended levels, and new recommendations for increased EPA/DHA means that these low fat diets (10% fat) are now pushing the fatty acids of EPA/DHA well below recommended levels. We know this is may be a problem with low fat vegan diets because of the behavioural issues commonly reported and observed.

I know l only breifly talk about these things here, but when you read exensively you will realise their is a major problem going on ans in time people will become more aware of this and kick the silly low fat idea to the curve where it belongs. Already Colin Campbell and Dr Esselstyn are starting to be debunked with their nonsense as the world starts to wake up. I have been writing a lot about this recently with good studies to back me up and people are going to find it very difficult to be able to get around the stuff l have been bringing up. The low fat low cholesterol ideas are well and truely BUSTED by the peer reviewed literature.

Date: September 17, 2014 08:59PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> That is not a fair comparison. The fat in breast
> milk helps the baby double her weight in two
> months. Grown up do not need that much fat.

That is a good point, but l ask the question...does the saturated fat in breast milk play any other role? Apparently it does but it is hard to find credible sources of info. We get the dubious Mercola (runs a big joke site full of pseudoscience) and Western Price Foundation saying we can't live healthfully without saturated fat, but not one piece of credible science to back up these dubious claims.

Disinfo sites? Illuminati? I would think so. Sells dangerous supplements without putting warnings on the labels. Eg...fish oil being sold is rancid and contributes to cancer according to peer reviewed research...also contains mercury and other heavy metals that can't be distilled out of the fish oil. Vitamin E we sell contains terpentine. B vitamins we sell contain petro chemicals. Where are the warnings??? Be careful - dubious claims by people pushing pseudoscience and dubious products.

When websites get big the illuminati come knocking and people start to grow horns. Avoid the big websites for your info and do your own research. Illuminti target big sites because it is easier to control info.

I say to the big health sites...if you reckon you have the people's interest at heart:

- post science to back up all claims
- put warnings on your dubious products warning about the dangerous chemicals they contain.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 09:07PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 17, 2014 09:50PM

sproutman

thanks for the articles and info i will definitely be reading both
awesomesmiling smiley!

jtprindl

<<From mixing coconut oil with AFA? I think the longer lasting mood-boosting effects could be a few things... increased conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA and/or increased absorption of the powerful fat-soluble phytochemicals found in AFA. However, I don't think there's that much ALA in AFA so I'd lean towards the latter, especially since I use E3 Live BrainON which has higher amounts of Phenethylamine (PEA), a fat soluble phytochemical known as the "love chemical" for its powerful mood-boosting capabilities.>>

ha ha... i didn't know blue green algae had PEA... very cool!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 18, 2014 01:19AM

why limit yourself to coconut or olive?

you can use "other" oils like from fruits, flowers, herbs, etc. Foe example, lavender oil makes you sleep deep and puts you on a happy mood (and better dreams too). You can also use them on the skin for different purposes. Some aromatic oils trigger all kind memories. Pine, rosemary, rose, lemon, orange, etc. you can also add drops to the drier of the laundry, etc. In the winder, if it gets dry, you can add oils drops to humidifiers too (disinfectant oils like mint, etc).

Date: September 18, 2014 01:54AM

"why limit yourself to coconut or olive?"

I really like the effect extra-virgin coconut oil has on the skin, it's like nature's perfect lotion... protection from the sun, very moisturizing, potent anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties that can clear up acne or bumps. It's my main oil for skin but sometimes I'll get a really high-quality organic facial lotion and use that for a while and then go back to the coconut oil.

"Some aromatic oils trigger all kind memories."

I wonder if this can help heal underlying psychological issues hidden deep in the subconscious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 02:02AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 18, 2014 03:30AM

Just came across some very interesting information in regards to sunflower sprouts and AGE's.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - Cynarin-rich sunflower (Helianthus annuus) sprouts possess both antiglycative and antioxidant activities.

"The present study examined the antiglycative and antioxidant properties of four edible sprouts popular in Chinese markets. In a protein-reducing sugar model, the sunflower sprout Helianthus annuus exhibited the strongest inhibitory effects against the formation of advanced glycation end products (AGEs). At a concentration of 1.0 mg/mL, its inhibitory rate achieved 83.29%, which is stronger than that of aminoguanidine (1 mM), a well-known synthetic antiglycative agent (with an inhibitory rate of 80.88%). The antioxidant capacity of H. annuus was also much stronger than other sprout samples in terms of free radical scavenging and reducing properties. An active ingredient contributing to the observed activities was identified as cynarin (1,5-dicaffeoylquinic acid). This is the first report of the novel function of cynarin to intervene against glycoxidation. Given the key roles of AGEs and oxidation in the pathogenesis of diabetes, the sunflower sprout H. annuus rich in cynarin may be regarded as a beneficial food choice for diabetic patients."

Cynarin also helps the liver produce bile, which is important for digestion of fats and detoxing.

Date: September 18, 2014 04:29AM

Another interesting study...

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - Antioxidant effect of Triticum aestivium (wheat grass) in high-fat diet-induced oxidative stress in rabbits

"The high-fat diet resulted in hyperlipidemia and an increase in oxidative stress, indicated by a significant rise in MDA levels, whereas antioxidant levels of GSH and vitamin C were significantly reduced. Wheat grass supplementation with a high-fat diet resulted in improved lipid levels (decreased total cholesterol and increased HDL-C) together with significantly reduced MDA levels and increased GSH and vitamin C levels. These results indicate the beneficial role of wheat grass in ameliorating hyperlipidemia and the associated oxidative stress."

These rats were likely given an unhealthy source of fats or perhaps a ridiculous amount which is what caused the hyperlipidemia and oxidative stress and the wheatgrass offered significant protection. Note that it wasn't freshly harvested wheatgrass juice, either, but rather a supplement, so the results are likely not as impressive as they could've been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 04:34AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 18, 2014 07:17PM

"If you take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with a bowl of chia/flax sprouts you will get even better effect. See the `growing sprouts' section of my site to learn how to grow chia sprouts etc. I will also be doing a video on how to do it on Friday and also release an old video on sprouting chia."

Can't wait to start and wow what a difference that tablespoon of coconut oil has made. My vision is rapidly improving, nervous system feels like it's strengthening, and I get this warm sensation around my head that lasts hours. Could it be stem cell proliferation? [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I'm a happy person, but AFA with coconut oil seems to have taken it to another level along with more motivation and improved cognition.

My vision, likely due to growing up on a SAD and having poor habits (like staring at screens too long and rarely 'exercising' my eyes) was pretty bad when I was a teenager. The switch to a raw food diet significantly improved my vision but once it got to a certain point, it became stagnant. Now, after using AFA with coconut oil, my vision is noticeably improving literally every day (or at least has been for the past 2-3 days).

"Why isn't the mainstream waking up to the nonsesnse put out by the low fat police? Why isn't the media exposing the silly low fat low cholesterol recommendations talked about by doctors? Well....the peer reviewed literature is now saying numerous times that the drug and food industry perpetrated the myth so they could brainwash doctors into pushing cholesterol and lipid lowering medication onto patients and so the food industry could con people into low fat food products...these industries knew the West had higher cholesterol and fat levels so they knew they could cash in on the myth by associating high fat high cholesterol with CVD. It worked!!!"

Not surprising at all and you're right, it definitely worked. Doctors are so brainwashed nowadays that many times if they have a patient with a chronic disease and that patient ultimately decides to leave and start using naturopathic remedies and cures their disease... we start to hear things like...

"We must've mixed your information with someone else's, you really didn't have the disease"

"The disease wasn't as serious as we thought"

"It was pure luck or coincidence"

Date: September 19, 2014 07:23PM

jtprindl

thanks for the links to the articles
will be reading them
didn't know that sunflower sprouts had anti glycative properties
i always wondered about fruit
heard it was AGE forming

<<These rats were likely given an unhealthy source of fats or perhaps a ridiculous amount which is what caused the hyperlipidemia and oxidative stress and the wheatgrass offered significant protection. Note that it wasn't freshly harvested wheatgrass juice, either, but rather a supplement, so the results are likely not as impressive as they could've been>>

in regards to the hyperlipedemia, i cannnot imagine rapids suffering from obsesity unless they consume human manufactured food

still, interesting to note the results of the wheatgrass

but raw fats... i think would not contribute to hyperlipedemia
avocado and coconut oil both lower triglyceride levels
and check out this article on coconut oil

[authoritynutrition.com]

not exactly a peer reviewed article cuz it covered too many good things

but still... what is all the stuff about oils... any oils including raw causing
artery narrowign etc. even in the raw community?

i always ( like with most foods)

hear/read about both sides

so i also welcome hearing about the "other side"
to just gain more info

but at any rate,
this info on wheatgrass

pretty cool

thanks jtprindl

very welcome information

btw, how much goji berries do you think we should eat per day
to get good amount of taurine

cuz cysteine/methionine may not always convert well to taurine

also where do you get your goji berries? online?

there is an asian store near me

but their goji berries are not listed as "organic"

or i am thinking too that none of the stuff in the asian market is listed as organic

does that mean they spray pesticides on everything?

or do they have a propensity to not make a big deal out of "organic" just because they did not spray

anyhow, if you find a good source
let me know

thanks again

Date: September 19, 2014 07:26PM

jtprindl

really cool that your eyesight has improved
makes me very happy to hear that

Date: September 19, 2014 08:59PM

jtprindl

i'm glad you are taking coconut oil with the AFA

since AFA's have far more polyunsaturated fatty acids ( than spirulina)
and the coconut oil will help with reducing the oxidative process of PUFAs

since most PUFAs oxidate and prone to free radical formation
and the coconut oils help with the damage control

so you get 2 in one with that move

i'm thinking also of doing coconut oil with the nuts ( high PUFA's)

to reduce their oxidative "stress"

i don't like free radicals

nope.. will pass on those

no one here seems to talk about PUFAs and their oxidation much here on this board

well, i guess i'll broach the subject now then

hey all

how bout them PUFA's and their high propensity for oxidation?

anyhow, coconut oil seems to be one solution

any other?

also nuts and their phytic acid ( higher than rice or grains)

maybe seaweed will ameliorate that

then there is the PUFAs

okay, so coconut oil

then.. what else?

checks n balances
checks n balances

turns out food is more chemically political than the government itself lolsmiling smiley

would love to hear what others have to say about this

if they check out a coconut oil thread

though i may post this issue another time in another thread

Date: September 19, 2014 09:10PM

"but still... what is all the stuff about oils... any oils including raw causing artery narrowign etc. even in the raw community?"

I don't believe there is any scientific literature on specifically raw, plant-based fats, but common sense and living examples leads to the conclusion that we need much higher levels of fat than 10% for optimal brain functioning. And if we incorporate algae's, sprout/grass juice, and sprout our nuts and seeds, we get very high levels of phytochemicals which significantly reduce or negate any potential negative effects caused by fat. The low-fat days are coming to an end.

"btw, how much goji berries do you think we should eat per day
to get good amount of taurine"

Not sure, I don't really eat goji berries, I just know they are a rare land-source of taurine. From my knowledge you can also get taurine from algae's.

"really cool that your eyesight has improved
makes me very happy to hear that"

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I'll be seeing 20/20 soon! I'm thinking there will be more dramatic improvements once I add astaxanthin and marine phytoplankton to the mix. My guess is I'll be flying high for hours. I think when you take sprout-grass juices and algae's long enough, your hunger starts to naturally dissipate and store-bought food isn't even appealing anymore. The way I feel after algae's and sprout-grass juices isn't even comparable to how I feel after eating fruits and vegetables. In fact, outside of local watermelon and occasional batches of strawberries, store-bought fruit isn't even worth spending money on imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 09:19PM by jtprindl.

Date: September 20, 2014 01:56AM

jtprindl

do any algaes have a significant amount of taurine?

which?

how much?

curious

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables